How much money do you make metal detecting?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live fairly close to the beach, about $4.00 in gas round trip each time I go. Last year I went nearly every day, so say 300 days that year, or $1200 just in fuel cost. When I went to the beach I always stayed most of the day, so always took a cooler, so there's another $5.00 in snacks, etc., or another $1500 a year. In order to get to the beach I have to have a vehicle and that vehicle also has to be insured.....so there's more $$$$ into the expense account. Already we're looking at $5000.00 a year and we still have to have a roof over our heads, pray we never get sick or have any serious unexpected expenses. Now this is just a quick snapshot for someone living very close to an all year beach environment that is fairly heavily used.

Now consider what you see on TV....consider all the expenses involved....consider that the people you see on those shows are getting paid and that the expenses are paid by someone else. A whole different world for sure.

Having said all this, if someone, "anyone" wants to pay me $25,000 a year to metal detect for them I'd be glad to do it. I could really use that kind of, "a paying job." Just let me know and I'll jump right on it! :thumbsup: :laughing7:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I am kind of curious about how much money people make metal detecting. Do any of you do it for a living; and if so is your living good or bad? Is this something you do, and count on, to actually make some extra money on the side but still keep another job? This is just something fun you do but you still make money at it? You do it for fun and are lucky to make enough money to super size your value meal? You do it for fun and keep everything you find? Something else?

I just want to see different people's mentality on metal detecting.

Thank you.

:hello:Mr IRS agent or greedy politician looking for a cut.:laughing7:

justdugcrazy

Aug 6, 2013
A dream of mine would be to purchase Truck with trailer and going state to state with the intentions of striking it Big but truth be told metal detecting is an addiction/ hobby. I find myself lost for hours just waiting for that beep its not about money,it's more about finding yourself on your knees wondering why,how and who could have lost what I'm holding.When all 3 are answered the satisfaction of a history mystery that was just solved is gratifying to me.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the one thing that is truly not helping any of us are these TV shows that they show with people metal detecting. The people watching come out thinking that their property will be left looking like crap, or there is "$$$Big Bucks$$$" to be made. So they have a tendency to reject your request to detect on their property. BOOM BABY.......

justdugcrazy

Aug 6, 2013
Well the one thing that is truly not helping any of us are these TV shows that they show with people metal detecting. The people watching come out thinking that their property will be left looking like crap, or there is "$$$Big Bucks$$$" to be made. So they have a tendency to reject your request to detect on their property. BOOM BABY.......

Your right I've had so many people tell me No because of past experiences with either illegal hunting or legal hunting that didn't appreciate the property they were on...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread