How old will the finds from the fields get?

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Today is my Husbands Birthday and Cubfan64 wanted to go down by the river and snag some driftwood, he asked to park in my driveway. Of course it was fine, but now I have the itch to get to the fields again. So I pouted and hinted and finally ended up bailing on my poor Hubby on his birthday :D. So Dan, Paul and I went in search of the other foundations down there. Dan thought he knew where they were, I should have known better ;)! Thankfully a friend that has been telling me he wold show me exactly where they were showed, brought us right to them! Poor Dan would have only been one whole field off. Lots of trash and iron, but really cool to be around. A couple of signals I dug are still there, I would have needed the backhoe to get them out. I did find the silvery items in a trash dump there. The heart must be a jewelery box top, there is cloth on the inside.

Detecting on they way through the field to the next field, Dan is hollering I'm digging to China. I said "I didn't think we were looking for Chinese coins?" :D Now Paul says I found a button, I run over and SWEET plain front with "BEST STRONG stand" ???? on the back. I'm sure about the Best and the stand, I need to clean it a little better. Dan hollers I'm digging up a car ::). Kept us laughing.

Off to the field where we found the Indian heads (1865 was the oldest coin yet). Once I remembered to turn my detector on :-[ I'm digging my cool rusty relics :D, Dan is digging huge holes with nothing in them (gotta be something wrong with that Ace, poor guy), Paul finds another button. Sweet again, it says double gilt on the back and has a green coating on the front. He also dug the square piece that has EN WELCH NFG CO on it and the watch? piece that has a serial number in it. Finally I dig a cool old buckle that says GERMANY on one side of the clasp and ??LTD on the other, nice.

To end the day Paul says I don't know my coins well but I think I found a large cent, now I'm wiggling around waiting for him to pull it out of his pouch and Dan is still looking for Chinese coin's ;). I take one look and tell Dan to get out of that hole and come over here. The nicest Large cent that has been in the ground for over 200 years you will ever see! 1805!!!!!!!!! Nice job Paul!!!!! Beat the last coin out of that site by 60 years!

Paul got his driftwood on the way out, I proceed to cook a nice Birthday dinner for the Hubby. Thanks for getting me down there Paul, it was great!

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Happy Birthday Gerry!

Attachments

• oct field finds 001.JPG
    oct field finds 001.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 1,593
  • oct field finds 014.JPG
    oct field finds 014.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,515
  • oct field finds 013.JPG
    oct field finds 013.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,515
  • oct field finds 015.JPG
    oct field finds 015.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,519
  • oct field finds 007.JPG
    oct field finds 007.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,527
  • oct field finds 006.JPG
    oct field finds 006.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,558
  • oct field finds 004.JPG
    oct field finds 004.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,570
  • oct field finds 002.JPG
    oct field finds 002.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,592
Upvote 0
More pictures!

Attachments

• oct field finds 009.JPG
    oct field finds 009.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,473
  • oct field finds 019.JPG
    oct field finds 019.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,466
  • oct field finds 020.JPG
    oct field finds 020.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,477
  • oct field finds 017.JPG
    oct field finds 017.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,492
  • oct field finds 011.JPG
    oct field finds 011.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 1,466
WoW!!! What a great place to hunt. Congrats!

Great times...sharing with friends. :)

You're getting so close to getting that big penny, CG. Keep on diggin'! ;)

Thanks for the great pictures CG!! I took your advice and used peroxide on the large cent, but it didn't come out looking any better than the pictures you took of it.

That was my first large cent, so I'm pretty excited even though it's kinda corroded - still not too bad for some of the ones that come out of farmer fields around here!

I had a good time and am happy to be able to add some driftwood to my little pond out front. When it's all done (probably next spring) and I've got the fieldstone I want as well as some things planted around it, I'll take some pictures and you'll see how I used the driftwood from by you.

I wish I could have had more time as I was hankering to go down by the water/stream area and look for arrowheads again. If we get any warm weekend in November I might still head that way one more time.

My camera was on the fritz today so I didn't get any good pictures of the colors from the bridge - I did stop and look for a bit though - sure was pretty!

Thanks again for the hospitality!!

Great finds CG..all sorts of goodies there...ID'd all of them yet? ::)

BTW...you shown is where your priorities are :o

Wow, there are some nice old coppers come up this weekend. Congrats guys.

Ken

Awesome digs, CG! That sounds like a wonderful place to hunt.

Sounds like a great day. That's some nice looking country.
HH.
Joe

Kim, first off, great post and photos. Now, about the age of the stuff, wow, there will be more Large Cent era coins for sure and maybe even a few Colonials to boot, considering the age of the buttons found and the fact that colonial coppers stayed into circulation for some time. I would think a State Copper should be in order, like a Mass Cent of the more commonly found CT copper.
Oh, Happy Birthday to Mr CG (Gerry) :)

Oh, since you are a horse person, are you sure that item in lower left of the one photo is not an Martingale?? But I think that is what you referred to as a jewelry box lid decoration? Any hooks/wires on the back of it? If it is a Martingale, it would be the top find of the day.

Don

Thanks folks, we did have allot of fun. Gerry really didn't mind he worked around the house anyways, and it got me out of his hair :D.

Brian thanks for the link, I would have never thoought we found 2 clock parts, neat story.

Yup that is a bees nest, I was in a hurry trying to keep up with the guys on the way to the foundation, I wish I had gotten a better shot.

Don, Gypsy, I'm pretty sure the heart is a lid of some sort, there is some cloth on the inside of it, no hooks, but it's heavy. I really think they need to make bigger treasure pouches for the things I carry around. Last time I lost the big old shovel I dug, can't recall wich hole I was digging when I set it down :D.

I can't wait to get back there, it's huge and we will never be able to hunt the whole thing, I still want to find the Ferry house foundation this Fall. 4 old coins in 2 hunts, I can't imagine what else is down there. A state copper would make my year!

The heart looks like a small jewelry case I saw in an antique store....it had a pin in the corner that allowed it to swing open rather than hinged......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back