Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't try to explain it anymore. Watched a few YouTube dowsers, explain their methods for depth of water. Techniques can range from extremely complicated, to very simple.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the videos, the dowser still used a forked stick. L-Rods should work the same way. I've been told Art passed away about 2 years ago. His method was similar. I think he would walk away from where rods crossed and holding rods for responses with each step. Then when signal disaappears measure, distance and calculate depth. Probably best to try it and check how deep target is (as dug). Actual depth is straight down from crossed L-Rods.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a person keeps dowsing straight down, each step with crossed rods, signal will stop, as stepping off the target area. They try to dowse at an angle, which is much too complicated for a beginner.

AlAmmoLLC

Jan 11, 2022
I have been a dowser for years. I've found ley lines, pets and even keys
When determining depth with just L rods you need to ask the rods the depth by asking a question. "More than a foot?" "more than 3 feet" etc till the rods cross. I use a flexable plastic switch. Each time the switch rises is an additional type of measurement you used in your question. I used the switch to determine the depth of a well. I used 10 foot increments and the switch rose and fell 10 times so it was 100' (10x10). I asked the switch how many more feet and it went up and down 7 more times so 107 feet.

Merlin-Midas

Greenie
Jan 19, 2022
The way I was taught to find depth with L-Rods (with a sample on the tips) was to find what we called the "aura" (circle of energy) around the target. However, for an underground stream of water, which is a long line instead of a single point, I assume the "aura" would be two parallel lines on either side (I assume, because I have never water dowsed; I am only interested in large caches). By the way, if you want to use electrical dowsing to find water, then you can use an harmonic of the output frequency listed on your microwave oven (for example: mine is 2450 MHz, so you can use 245 Hz, which I have verified; this implies molecular resonance). If you hum the frequency, then you can use mechanical resonance. The way we used to get the aura was to walk towards the target and detect 3 points (nearest edge, target, farthest edge). Normally, the radius of the aura was the depth, which implies the energy was traveling to the surface at a 45 degree angle (vertical triangulation). But sometimes there might be a double aura, and neither aura would be the correct depth. Also, the aura is typically slanted to one side, like an ellipse, which is probably some kind of magnetic or gravitational distortion (in those cases, take the average). Checking the aura as you dig is a smart thing to do; by doing so, we noticed that sometimes the aura would decrease in radius, and other times it would increase in radius. Whenever it decreased, it would disappear at the hole just as you reached the target. If you reach the predicted depth and no object is found, but the target energy jumps to a new location nearby, then you just dug a "false target" (a reflection of a real "aged target" nearby). Of course, determining depth means nothing, if you're on the wrong spot (except it tells you when to stop digging).

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However, for an underground stream of water, which is a long line instead of a single point, I assume the "aura" would be two parallel lines on either side

Yes, that would be correct.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread