What's new

How vulnerable are you

I always hunt by myself, but I look at where people are at when I get there. I don't live in the nicest of areas. My husband gets nervous for me. But I only was worried once. I seen a man and woman looking at me. Then the woman started coming my way she tried to get behind me. But I just kept turning with her to make sure she stayed in front of me. And held my digger like I was ready to use it. (which I was) she decided to go back to her boyfriend. I am not a target.
 
I always hunt by myself, but I look at where people are at when I get there. I don't live in the nicest of areas. My husband gets nervous for me. But I only was worried once. I seen a man and woman looking at me. Then the woman started coming my way she tried to get behind me. But I just kept turning with her to make sure she stayed in front of me. And held my digger like I was ready to use it. (which I was) she decided to go back to her boyfriend. I am not a target.

Dont only have one,have another option,a good pocket knife works(no made in china specials please:laughing9:)
 
When I'm in a notoriously dangerous area I simply turn volume all the way up and keep headphones around my neck .. Anyway works for me I don't miss much
 
When I'm in a notoriously dangerous area I simply turn volume all the way up and keep headphones around my neck ..with cups turned out . Anyway works for me I don't miss much
 
Even at Disneyland I don't go all buttery! I am always in the aware state (or would like to be) like when I'm driving a car! Last month I was detecting in the water and was lost to the hunt when I looked up and on the jetty, not 15 feet from me, were two unsavory types checking out every move and lift of the scoop! I said "hi" and they responded with cold silence! So I brought up my "treasure find" of a beer can and showed it to them! They evaporated!
After that experience I am always keeping half a headphone off and the ground/water is not the only thing I'm scanning!
 
Hay, it's not just while detecting. I stopped at a light behind a old camaro with a couple of small dents in the rear. The light changed. He started off briskly and then slammed on his breaks. From racing on the track, I have extremely fast reflexes. I slammed on my breaks. Stopped about 2" from his bumper. I could see him laughing in his rear view mirror as he sped away. Now you know why your insurance rates are so high! Frank...-
111-2 700Warrior Head.webp
 
I make it a habit to look around me prior to digging the target. On a night hunt a few months ago, I looked extensively at my surroundings prior to digging but was still surprised when someone was right behind me. The individual meant to do me harm, no doubt in my mind.
 
WHEN I HUNT LAND - I USE A LARGE KNIFE AND CUT PLUGS
WHEN I HUNT WATER - WILL SOMETIMES CARRY A DIVE KNIFE - BUT I USE A HUGE SCOOP - THAT WILL TAKE A HEAD OFF WITH EASE IF NECESSARY
 
Casper the friendly ghost taking someone's head off with ease with a sand scoop...I died laughing when I read this one. Thanks casper, I needed that.
 
If I'm hunting in any populated or citified areas I either don't use my headphones at all ,or have them around my neck w/ volume up ,
I always want my ears to be very aware of who, what ,where - I am not a paranoid or fearful person at all - just aware .
 
I am not a paranoid or fearful person

Its not paranoid or being afraid being ready,careful and aware.Those who think so are a 200% fool and deserve what happens to them.
 
Location and situations are dynamic.

You need to adjust your level of awareness based on situations or circumstances.

You don't need to be on Defcon 1 when you are in the surf during a crowded day.

Your level should increase when alone in the woods.
 
I always hunt by myself, but I look at where people are at when I get there. I don't live in the nicest of areas. My husband gets nervous for me. But I only was worried once. I seen a man and woman looking at me. Then the woman started coming my way she tried to get behind me. But I just kept turning with her to make sure she stayed in front of me. And held my digger like I was ready to use it. (which I was) she decided to go back to her boyfriend. I am not a target.


there are bad places in denver? say it ain't so!! just wear a manning jersey ( peyton)
 
Just wear a bright yellow vest that says "BOMB SQUAD" on it. Should be good.
Don't even need that. EVERYBODY knows what EOD stands for! TTC
 
I use to use one of these for digging,chopping roots etc and persuading people to leave me alone.Theres not to much that works better than a 14 inch blade hanging on your belt.

View attachment 1025094

I agree, but I have my "weapon of choice" in my hand at all times. I always do a rubberneck scan before I start to dig. And if the knife gets dirty I clean it if off nice and shiny every time! How much do these things help?..Got to be better than not doing 'em.
 
I carried that bayonet MDing up in NH.It came in very handy at times.Lots of stray dogs around even though there was a leash law.People didnt care and ignored it.it was a pretty rugged piece,the blade was close to a 1/4 thick,double edged for the first 4 inches.Nasty sound drawing it from its scabbard.
 
Last of the Mohicans.. Movie. Last Stand
 
I'm not a town or a park kind of detectorist to say the very least and have never seen another person while doing my bush detecting. On my very few hunts in populated areas, I have never really been worried as I live up here in Canada. I'm always very aware of my situation in regards to my surroundings though as there is an increasing problem with junkie losers around these parts. I have been carrying a knife since I can remember and am always armed while in the bush. I can honestly say that I do not fear anything, that's just me and my outlook on life in general. The real threat where I choose to tread is the Wildlife. Bears, Wolves, Cougars, Moose.... Not to mention the ever evil Grouse in the heat of a love cycle, LOL trust me. My trusty REZ Hound is always at my side wile out and I never use headphones out in the bush, never. Always be aware of your surroundings as many have won a Darwin award not being aware or prepared for the aforementioned. The World is a dangerous place to those that are not attuned to their surroundings and never place yourself into a situation where you are not prepared for the worst outcome.
WHatever & everything 116.webp

1798194_670403383016810_1057784913_n.webp
 
Backbacon .. Like you i have never been worried here i ohio were i am .. And i go up around Sudbury and the french river area in Ontario Canada often... And i never have been worried up there either … Like you i have carried a knife all my life …. Even in school from first grade on …. Try doing that now they would put the poor kid in jail… But there are a lot out there that are real worry warts .. afraid of there shadow...
 
I think some get alert confused with scared, there is a difference!
A couple of years ago I came upon a large rattler coiled beside the trail. I was 4' away from him and he was coiled and ready. I watched him and noted when I moved just an inch or two toward him his head moved back and when I moved back his head moved forward. It was almost like a range finder. Now I have read a bit about them and know that the max striking distance is usually 3'. I think we both knew that.
Frank...-
The moral is, scared gets you killed, while alert saves your ass. hand print-2_edited-7.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom