Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
they say 1 gallon per person per day --so roughly 8 of the standard 16.9 oz (1/2 liter) bottles per day --1 case of 24 should last a person 3 days at that rate..... I say a minimum of at least 6 days supply --that's 2 cases per person in the household

if your staying in the keys --they say to magic marker your name and SS number on your arms to help the folks ID your body (f they can find it)... that's means its nuts to stay there ...remember the 1925 hurricane ?

I rode out a hurricane in Slidell the year before Katrina, forgot the name.
They were saying the same thing, those that stayed please mark your arm for ID of your corpse.
Sounds dramatic but really just a common sense procedure ... I would think you'd need something a bit better than a magic marker though, which would be prone to wash right off.
[I didn't mark myself, id of my future corpse wasn't high on the list of priorities and I figured they said this more to scare people into leaving than anything else] I have some distinctive tattoos so my corpse would be easy to id anyhow.

Not trying to minimize the danger, obviously there is potential for heavy destruction and loss of life.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watching Jose spin around in the models. This is a bit concerning as it looks like it is being fed by the inflow for Irma...

It also seems like Jose is pushing against Irma...the flow over the top of Jose is feeding Irma, but also pushing it West. HOPE.

All the concern about water, just put open top containers outside, its gonna rain for a while

Last edited:

jj808

Dec 13, 2014
Evans, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are starting to go crazy over this already. How many gallons of water do you need to survive 3 days? I have not had a drink of water since last week! I drink ice tea, lemonade and rum & cokes. :laughing7: I hope the storm will go up the east coast of FL and uncover more shipwreck treasure.

Assume a Gallon a day per person including pets.

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other
People are starting to go crazy over this already. How many gallons of water do you need to survive 3 days? I have not had a drink of water since last week! I drink ice tea, lemonade and rum & cokes. :laughing7: I hope the storm will go up the east coast of FL and uncover more shipwreck treasure.

Now you maybe able to look for megalodon shark teeth on your own side

[h=1][/h]

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are taking an ass beating right now. Stuff smashing and crashing into the house. Tremendous crashing noise at 4 am. We are in the rage right now. It ain't gonna be pretty afterward. You guys in the rest of the state be prepared. This one is for real. Wind is 50-80 right now. It's crazy. I'm in good shape but others won't be. My house has got to be thrashed. Been real bad for the last 3-4 hours. Lots of stuff crashing around outside.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My neighborhood is being destroyed. It's hard to watch.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh oh...

145735_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blowing between 50 and 100 for a long time now. Big band training right over us. Lost the porch in a 90 kt gust. Still just a roaring rage right now. Key largo is really getting beat down. Trees crashing everywhere. Still. Wind clocking all the way around now. Ready to go check my house but to dangerous still.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
play it safe the first softening of wind is the eye --the backside is still coming

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
in the directiion a hurricane is headed-- the direct front to 90 degrees to the right ---(upper right quarter) is always the most powerful part and often causes spin o0ff tornados as well , plus lots of rain

I will be on the upper right area but thankjfully far away --so the effects will not be as bad

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Blowing between 50 and 100 for a long time now. Big band training right over us. Lost the porch in a 90 kt gust. Still just a roaring rage right now. Key largo is really getting beat down. Trees crashing everywhere. Still. Wind clocking all the way around now. Ready to go check my house but to dangerous still.

You may want to wait before heading out; well unless you see a giant chunk of Ambergris rolling around in your yard.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Sorry, I slept in and missed most of the worst going through the Keys! I hope you and everybody there came through the storm okay and that everyone's homes are still intact! Structures and infastructure can be replaced but not lives. Things should be getting better now or very soon wind and surf-wise where you are as the eye of Irma is skirting the Southwest Florida coast. I was surprised to see that the National Weather Service Doppler Weather Radar in Key West is still up and running. Between Key West's and Miami's Doppler Weather Radars, they should get some very useful data to download and analyze to learn more about Hurricanes.

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You know what ticks me off about media coverage of Hurricanes such as Irma, is that the TV Meteorologists really hope to report a higher wind, sustained or gust than what has already been reported. I was just watching NBC coverage of Irma online, the TV Meteorologist reported the 120 mph winds on Big Pine Key with Irma and actually said that we might see stronger winds on the right side eye wall as it skirts Naples and Ft. Myers and you could practically hear the hope in his voice for a stronger wind report. He also reported that the stronger winds could come from the thunderstorm band which makes up the North through East wall of Irma's eyes. Yes, the stronger winds could come from the Thunderstorms or even Tornadoes that develop and touch down but neither of these have real relevance to the sustained winds and gusts which actually come from the deepening low pressure gradients and circulation in the Hurricane.

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Due to where Irma's eye made landfall in the Keys (Cudjoe Key) and traversing Florida's West Coast, lots of items lost with Spanish shipwrecks will likely wash up on beaches from the Middle and Upper Keys to off Jacksonville. This is due to the winds remaining mainly South, Southeast and East along the Middle and Upper Keys and the Florida's East Coast during the strongest winds and effects of the storm for the East Coast. Treasure Hunters will likely be out in full force on Florida's East Coast beaches once conditions improve enough to get out.

Frank

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[h=1]Shoe stores of all places being looted ,, Hmmmm
Expect to see discounted Nikes on craigslist in the coming days.

Gang of looters caught on camera smashing their way into a sports store in Fort Lauderdale and running off with armloads of goods despite storm-force winds[/h]
  • At least eight people were filmed by an ABC crew breaking into Simon's Sportswear in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
  • The group did so amid Hurricane Irma's destruction across South Florida
  • ABC reports that a Foot Locker nearby was also looted and it is not clear whether the incidents were related
  • No one in either group has been identified

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
[h=1]Shoe stores of all places being looted ,, Hmmmm
Expect to see discounted Nikes on craigslist in the coming days.

Gang of looters caught on camera smashing their way into a sports store in Fort Lauderdale and running off with armloads of goods despite storm-force winds[/h]
  • At least eight people were filmed by an ABC crew breaking into Simon's Sportswear in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
  • The group did so amid Hurricane Irma's destruction across South Florida
  • ABC reports that a Foot Locker nearby was also looted and it is not clear whether the incidents were related
  • No one in either group has been identified

I hope they catch the criminals and drop them inside the eye of Irma in a life raft.

Frank

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plantation Key is a mess. Key Largo had a low directly over, caused the water to go out leaving the ocean floor exposed for a while. Right now the Tampa area has experienced a like tsunami effect where the water goes out, even leaving the river manatees high and dry. After the eye passes, the water will come back faster than it went plus bringing extra mega-gallons with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions