I Am a Sentinel

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Who are these modern day sentinels and are they really watching buried treasure?

As far as I know, all of the land in the United States is either private land or public land. If you're digging on private property, without pemission, and some guy comes up to you and tells you to get the hell out of here, is he a sentinel or some rancher that don't want to have to keep an eye on you. Where I live, farmers don't want you on their land because if you do something stupid and get hurt, the farmer is held responsible.

What if you're digging on public land and a ranger tells you it's illegal to dig and you have to move on, is he a sentinel or somebody doing his or her job.

What if you're digging on public land and two guys come out of nowhere, kick the hell out of you, break your metal detector, shoot your dog and tell you to forget about any buried treasure as they walk away. Are they sentinels or two treasure hunters protecting their turf.

Fact is, if you're a treasure hunter digging for a vault and you don't have permission to search from whoever is responsible for that property, you're breaking the law.

Your legal option would be to buy the property you are searching or to trust a stranger and get permission to search for a vault loaded with gold.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Yeah, you never really know because you're always an outsider trying to look into something you're not a part of. As you know, dog, a very smart guy once suggested to me that this whole phenomena that we generally categorize as hidden treasure, KGC sites, Masonic codes, etc., may have nothing at all to do with buried riches. Instead, it may be kind of a weird game designed to awaken a spiritual quest within the searcher. After all, it can be demonstrated that these sites and the patterns and characteristics of the clues surrounding them tend to demand all sorts of knowledge in fields not necessarily part of most peoples' daily lives - history, mythology, geometry, mathematics, spiritual symbology, logical thinking, et al. So, while we're methodically pondering the things we find, we're also methodically expanding our consciousness. I'll bet you've expanded your mind since you've been tracking Mr. S. That way, the true treasure isn't gold, but awareness. Or not.

I have learned a lot and met a lot of good people along the way. Searching for the answers to an historical mystery is very exciting. You and others have been very patient as I bounce around from one theory to another looking for answers that I might never find. I can't move around in the sticks like I used to, so I take advantage of shared information from those who can and I appreciate that generosity very much.

Thanks to all of you.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you never really know because you're always an outsider trying to look into something you're not a part of. As you know, dog, a very smart guy once suggested to me that this whole phenomena that we generally categorize as hidden treasure, KGC sites, Masonic codes, etc., may have nothing at all to do with buried riches. Instead, it may be kind of a weird game designed to awaken a spiritual quest within the searcher. After all, it can be demonstrated that these sites and the patterns and characteristics of the clues surrounding them tend to demand all sorts of knowledge in fields not necessarily part of most peoples' daily lives - history, mythology, geometry, mathematics, spiritual symbology, logical thinking, et al. So, while we're methodically pondering the things we find, we're also methodically expanding our consciousness. I'll bet you've expanded your mind since you've been tracking Mr. S. That way, the true treasure isn't gold, but awareness. Or not.

Great post, Sdcfia! I've often pondered this myself. A modern day ' Hero's Journey '.

hero's journey

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Who are these modern day sentinels and are they really watching buried treasure?

As far as I know, all of the land in the United States is either private land or public land. If you're digging on private property, without pemission, and some guy comes up to you and tells you to get the hell out of here, is he a sentinel or some rancher that don't want to have to keep an eye on you. Where I live, farmers don't want you on their land because if you do something stupid and get hurt, the farmer is held responsible.

What if you're digging on public land and a ranger tells you it's illegal to dig and you have to move on, is he a sentinel or somebody doing his or her job.

What if you're digging on public land and two guys come out of nowhere, kick the hell out of you, break your metal detector, shoot your dog and tell you to forget about any buried treasure as they walk away. Are they sentinels or two treasure hunters protecting their turf.

Fact is, if you're a treasure hunter digging for a vault and you don't have permission to search from whoever is responsible for that property, you're breaking the law.

Your legal option would be to buy the property you are searching or to trust a stranger and get permission to search for a vault loaded with gold.

"Modern" helps define your sentinel question. If a sentinel is required , a cache site must not be very secure. Adding an apprehensive character on a given site can increase suspicion. Almost a neon sign to some one or a party looking for something worth being apprehensive about.

Who in a well established organisation needs to keep stuff in remote ,(or more importantly , risky) areas for multiple generations , then have some one watch the site?
Relocate to a secure site with many eyes on what can not be seen(hidden securely within) and any approach (to reveal) is apparent and laborious in a matter that would attract immediate attention while still in a secure (restricted to an individual or organisation out of the general public's eye/ general public law control) area. ...??

IF sentinels (folks on watch over something valuable and unsecured) are a concern today they are more likely watching for activity revealing info they lack.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
"Modern" helps define your sentinel question. If a sentinel is required , a cache site must not be very secure. Adding an apprehensive character on a given site can increase suspicion. Almost a neon sign to some one or a party looking for something worth being apprehensive about.

Who in a well established organisation needs to keep stuff in remote ,(or more importantly , risky) areas for multiple generations , then have some one watch the site?
Relocate to a secure site with many eyes on what can not be seen(hidden securely within) and any approach (to reveal) is apparent and laborious in a matter that would attract immediate attention while still in a secure (restricted to an individual or organisation out of the general public's eye/ general public law control) area. ...??

IF sentinels (folks on watch over something valuable and unsecured) are a concern today they are more likely watching for activity revealing info they lack.

Ever watch a mother Killdeer? If you walk around in the field where her nest is hidden in the grass, you'll see her flopping around with "an injured wing", leading you away from her eggs. Bogus "signs" do the same thing to treasure hunters. Easy enough. Human nature is predictable.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ever watch a mother Killdeer? If you walk around in the field where her nest is hidden in the grass, you'll see her flopping around with "an injured wing", leading you away from her eggs. Bogus "signs" do the same thing to treasure hunters. Easy enough. Human nature is predictable.

Ya,have seen killdeer divert attention.
Momma's " bread crumb" trail is away from the nest vs hey look over here. Tells me a nest is around presently though ,and more honestly than human sign on a trail would assure a treasure.

Could we scent little fledglings ,or gold at a distance , a diversion might lead to a different result than some intended sometimes.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

Great points, RC. Why go to all the aggravation when all you have to do is put your gold in the ground and then build a runway over it.

I've often wondered if the cache sites are just baited traps to find out who the real treasure hunters are. With the electronics available today, your activities can be observed and recorded without taking the risk of exposing a watcher.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more of a guy who gives up information based on my own recoveries at a certain area.
That information is usually disclosed to people with whom I have hunted with.
These are people with whom I enjoy sharing this hobby with.
With my relocating to Pennsylvania, I'll have to find and safeguard some new locations.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I'm more of a guy who gives up information based on my own recoveries at a certain area.
That information is usually disclosed to people with whom I have hunted with.
These are people with whom I enjoy sharing this hobby with.
With my relocating to Pennsylvania, I'll have to find and safeguard some new locations.

You should be able to find some great sites to hunt in Pennsylvania. I don't know if you've ever tried bottle hunting but I hear the bottle hunters, out east, find some good stuff.

I usually go arrowhead hunting with my son, when the rivers are low.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
It seems like the stories of sentinels guarding large treasure caches started with the KGC legends of hidden gold. I'm going to start sending personal messages to some of the KGC posters and see if they will post any stories they've heard of these sentinels. If any of you know any of these guys, please pass the word. Thanks.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mdog, I've tried researching this angle myself, and got no further back than Bob Brewer, in Hatfield, AR., and his assertions that his grandfather and uncle were "Sentinels" for the KGC. Before that, I've found volumes on the Masons and KGC....but nothing regarding "Sentinels". Lots of Jesse James mixed in amongst the rest, and Brewer relied heavily on that connection as well.

I wish you much luck in turning up more. It would be interesting, for sure.

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Mdog, I've tried researching this angle myself, and got no further back than Bob Brewer, in Hatfield, AR., and his assertions that his grandfather and uncle were "Sentinels" for the KGC. Before that, I've found volumes on the Masons and KGC....but nothing regarding "Sentinels". Lots of Jesse James mixed in amongst the rest, and Brewer relied heavily on that connection as well.

I wish you much luck in turning up more. It would be interesting, for sure.

Thanks Ditlihi. I've read Brewer's book and Dr Roy Roush wrote of sentinels and intimidation tactics in his KGC books. I've mentioned the site that I study close to my home. Back in the early 1900s, the people who owned the land, that this site is on, hired a watchman to keep an eye on the place. I assume that he was a night watchman because the cache site could be easily observed from the owner's house. Was this guy keeping an eye on the site... I don't know, my research came to a dead end. A quarter mile north of the cache site was the house of a neighbor. This guy was not a good man. When he died, his house was broken into and nothing was taken but some personal papers he kept locked up. Might not have been anything to do with the site but his boundary was right by the cache site and at one time he owned the land the site was on. I need to finish up my research on this guy. During the Civil War, there were a lot of Copperheads in this area and a few KGC. There were also a lot of Masons and Templars in the area.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Modern Sentinels...? Try Electronic Alarm System of ADT... heh. "Google" Zebulon Miller Tomb of Lynchburg, Va. :laughing7:

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mdog and others. In today's world think my learned Brother Rebel hit the nail on the head. ADT and other companies keep a close eye on everything and most everybody doing most everything.

The first time I have heard of sentinels was from this forum and Hillbilly Bob's book. Sentinels yup been around a long time. Just didn't know I was one. We all are all of us guarding secrets if not for ourselves or something or someone else. We may be a sentinel for our business, church, lodge, friends or our treasure or coin hunting spot.

Been in the GAME for to long to not to know and been tried too many times to be fooled. At first I got fooled often but like the old cat and the string I don't any more. Case in point two young men found me in a local park with my metal detector happily hunting. They with their brand new detectors and big egos spent a half hour trying to pursuit me the park was hunted out. I told them I was a rank amateur and just trying to learn this old metal detector I had just bought second hand. A old machine that I had since 1984 a old analog machine. I listened then went back to hunting after ten minutes I hit a silver quarter I called them over to show my first silver find, after another half hour and three wheat pennies later. I heard them grumbling that they were going to their secret spot. That's wasn't hard to find never go hunting in a red car and don't park on a public road and hunting the middle of a field on a sunny day with bright colored clothes. My secret spot is along the river a mile and a half hike thru the woods to the old Chautauqua grounds. Only hunt it Sunday mornings in camo. Moral of the story I am a Sentinel. I hid my best spots as well as possible. They were sentinels they were trying to hide their best spots. I still have much info on the KGC in and around Marshall Texas. I guess I am a Sentinel for that. I still believe that there is a treasure there. KGC or confederate that's the debate. Someday I hope to get back for the hunt. In the meantime I am stuck in a town started and settled by Yankee Abolitionist. More likely a stop on the underground railroad than a hot bed of KGC activity. A southern rebel at heart stuck in a Yankee town. A sentinel all my life.

All the best my friends,

Senior Deacon

OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Mdog and others. In today's world think my learned Brother Rebel hit the nail on the head. ADT and other companies keep a close eye on everything and most everybody doing most everything.

The first time I have heard of sentinels was from this forum and Hillbilly Bob's book. Sentinels yup been around a long time. Just didn't know I was one. We all are all of us guarding secrets if not for ourselves or something or someone else. We may be a sentinel for our business, church, lodge, friends or our treasure or coin hunting spot.

Been in the GAME for to long to not to know and been tried too many times to be fooled. At first I got fooled often but like the old cat and the string I don't any more. Case in point two young men found me in a local park with my metal detector happily hunting. They with their brand new detectors and big egos spent a half hour trying to pursuit me the park was hunted out. I told them I was a rank amateur and just trying to learn this old metal detector I had just bought second hand. A old machine that I had since 1984 a old analog machine. I listened then went back to hunting after ten minutes I hit a silver quarter I called them over to show my first silver find, after another half hour and three wheat pennies later. I heard them grumbling that they were going to their secret spot. That's wasn't hard to find never go hunting in a red car and don't park on a public road and hunting the middle of a field on a sunny day with bright colored clothes. My secret spot is along the river a mile and a half hike thru the woods to the old Chautauqua grounds. Only hunt it Sunday mornings in camo. Moral of the story I am a Sentinel. I hid my best spots as well as possible. They were sentinels they were trying to hide their best spots. I still have much info on the KGC in and around Marshall Texas. I guess I am a Sentinel for that. I still believe that there is a treasure there. KGC or confederate that's the debate. Someday I hope to get back for the hunt. In the meantime I am stuck in a town started and settled by Yankee Abolitionist. More likely a stop on the underground railroad than a hot bed of KGC activity. A southern rebel at heart stuck in a Yankee town. A sentinel all my life.

All the best my friends,

Senior Deacon

Thanks for the post, Senior Deacon. It's good to see you posting again. I hope your move went well. I know your heart's in Texas and I hope you will be able to get back there soon.

You're right about everybody guarding their secret spots. I've done it myself for years as have many people here on Tnet. Thanks again for the post.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, maybe you're right. After all, we poo-pooed that misunderstood Nigerian prince who was trying so hard for so long to give away all that money. Now it seems they recovered $43,000,000 in cash in an empty apartment in Lagos. That poor prince probably died suffering from the same kind of angst as you seem to be. "Why won't they believe? All I want to do is make them rich." Geez, the prince just wanted our bank account numbers to send the cash to, and we didn't respond. Bad on us, huh?

$43 Million In Cash Found In Empty Nigerian Apartment | Zero Hedge

So THAT'S where I left it.....

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi mdog, All of the true sentinels died off years ago. When President Jefferson Davis split the treasure train into three trains when he left York, South Carolina. He placed Choctaw and Cherokee Indians as the sentinels over the three treasures once they were cancealed.

One of the trains crossed at Smith's Ford. That is where the Pennsylvania Yankee troops caught up with the rear guard and captured some of them. Another crossed at Cherokee Falls and the third crossed at Pinckneyville. There are rumors of these treasures showing up near Abbeville, S.C. but that was only rumors to canceal the truth.

President Jefferson Davis gave orders to these sentinels to guard these treasures until they were relieved by orders from him. These orders were never delivered and the sentinels stayed there until each of them died. Whether they passed the truth of the treasures to others is a matter of speculation.

I know one of these treasure trains the one that crossed at Cherokee Falls made an about 180 and went back across the Broad River and canceled his treasure in a worked out silver mine near Blacksburg, S.C. near US 5. He stayed there till he died. The entrance has all fallen in and been covered over by farming. An old historian knew where the entrance was located because he had seen it when a boy. The mine runs under his property about 60 feet deep. We were going to drill a hole to place a man down in the mine but never could afford and get around to it.

This old historian said as a boy he drove the cows up by a large tree near the entrance to the mine. The cows when they got near there would not go any further. He said he twisted their tails to make them go on but they would make a wide circle around this area. He believed the area was haunted by the sentinel.

We found a grave of a CSA soldier that died in 1863 down near the Broad River and the old historian said someone from London came over an inquired about that particular grave and he showed him where it was located. A few weeks he was back to the cemetery to do research and noticed the grave had been dug open. It was still dug open when we found the grave. They were getting ready to flood the area with a new hydroelectric plant and I guess all is lost to history. But the entrance and the mine is above the flood plain.

Thanks for the invite mdog.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Hi mdog, All of the true sentinels died off years ago. When President Jefferson Davis split the treasure train into three trains when he left York, South Carolina. He placed Choctaw and Cherokee Indians as the sentinels over the three treasures once they were cancealed.

One of the trains crossed at Smith's Ford. That is where the Pennsylvania Yankee troops caught up with the rear guard and captured some of them. Another crossed at Cherokee Falls and the third crossed at Pinckneyville. There are rumors of these treasures showing up near Abbeville, S.C. but that was only rumors to canceal the truth.

President Jefferson Davis gave orders to these sentinels to guard these treasures until they were relieved by orders from him. These orders were never delivered and the sentinels stayed there until each of them died. Whether they passed the truth of the treasures to others is a matter of speculation.

I know one of these treasure trains the one that crossed at Cherokee Falls made an about 180 and went back across the Broad River and canceled his treasure in a worked out silver mine near Blacksburg, S.C. near US 5. He stayed there till he died. The entrance has all fallen in and been covered over by farming. An old historian knew where the entrance was located because he had seen it when a boy. The mine runs under his property about 60 feet deep. We were going to drill a hole to place a man down in the mine but never could afford and get around to it.

This old historian said as a boy he drove the cows up by a large tree near the entrance to the mine. The cows when they got near there would not go any further. He said he twisted their tails to make them go on but they would make a wide circle around this area. He believed the area was haunted by the sentinel.

We found a grave of a CSA soldier that died in 1863 down near the Broad River and the old historian said someone from London came over an inquired about that particular grave and he showed him where it was located. A few weeks he was back to the cemetery to do research and noticed the grave had been dug open. It was still dug open when we found the grave. They were getting ready to flood the area with a new hydroelectric plant and I guess all is lost to history. But the entrance and the mine is above the flood plain.

Thanks for the invite mdog.

Thanks a lot for the post, Franklin. That's kinda creepy about the grave. How do you find these kinds of details in your research, I mean you know what tribe the Indian sentinels belonged to. How do you find that kind of detail.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot for the post, Franklin. That's kinda creepy about the grave. How do you find these kinds of details in your research, I mean you know what tribe the Indian sentinels belonged to. How do you find that kind of detail.

I had a friend that has since passed away. He lived in the area and grinding stumps for a living. He told me the Indian Sentinel's name and I ran it on the Sailor and Soldier's Index and found out he was telling the truth about the man being of a certain outfit from Arkansas and that is when I found out he was in a Choctaw Indian CSA Army Brigade. I believe his general was Stand Wadie a well known KGC member. I have a lot of good leads and places to dig or drill but funds keeps me where I am doing nothing at all. I made several trips down there to Pinckneyville, S.C. and even wrote a story for Lost Treasure magazine called, "Pinckneyville: Fort Knox of the Confederacy." It has been fun but I think my having fun of searching and researching is coming to an end. I have put all of my research into separate boxes and trying to get it all sorted out so someone else can continue my work. Know of any worthy apprentices. I have located 58 depositories of KGC and CSA Gold. I have two well researched locations where the Beale Treasure could be located. I have research on about every land treasure in the Eastern United States and some in South America and the Caribbean. Lost Treasure Magazine once printed three stories I had written in one magazine. I had to use alias for two of them because of them being in the same magazine. I have proven at least three well known treasures were hoaxes. And I have researched the CSA and KGC for 58 years. I have researched the Beale Treasure for over 52 years. So I have quite a large collection of research.

As for being a Sentinel. I have been a Sentinel for some of these treasures I have found for over 20 years. But unlike the real Sentinels I can not shoot and kill anyone getting the treasures I have found??????????

Oh and by the way, I am sorry to say this is my last post. Good bye to all. It has been fun.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread