What's new

I completed my Mercury dime collection today

bk

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
1,423
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After thirty seven years of detecting, I finally realized my goal of finding a complete set of Mercury dimes with a metal detector by unearthing the elusive 1916-D.
Ironically this coin was found in one of the first parks that I ever detected.
I was showing a friend how my detector works, and had unplugged my headphones so that he could hear the sounds too. Within a few minutes I had a good solid signal that read 28 on the Minelab Explorer. The depth meter indicated that it was deeper than most of the clad dimes that I was finding there so I told him that it will be a dime and probably will be silver because of the depth.
The photos show the coin shortly after it was found with the dirt still on it.
The dime was found near the tree in the picture.
 

Attachments

  • 1916 d obv..webp
    1916 d obv..webp
    102.7 KB · Views: 7,998
  • 1916 d rev..webp
    1916 d rev..webp
    94.6 KB · Views: 7,957
  • 111311 013.webp
    111311 013.webp
    204.3 KB · Views: 7,807
Upvote 0
I vote Banner on this one!
I've hunted with BK since the mid seventies, and one of his goals was to complete his Merc dime collection with dug finds, which he has now done. He's a great hunter and finding one of the rarest coins out there deserves the banner for sure! Four 16-D's have been found by our club members now, with one member finding two. This one is the best of the lot for condition...easily a $2000+ coin!

Knipper
 
Very beautiful dime! I am voting banner on this one as well :notworthy:
 
simply amazing! so glad you were able to not only complete the collection but with a beauty of a coin as well!!

neil
 
man she is a bute!!!! BIGTIME CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 
Congrats on completing the collection. Also what a way to finish it up with such a beautiful coin. Congrats on the Banner. :icon_thumleft:


Bubba65
 
Looks good on the banner it's in great shape, congrats on the find :icon_thumright:
 
Too cool! Look at the shape that thing is in! Wow!
 
Easily XF. The most recent auctions on Heritage for '16-D dimes in XF40 went for over $5k.
 
Awesome find... Congratulations on completing the set... That had to be a wonderful feeling to finally dig that one, especially since it's in amazing shape...
 
captainfwiffo said:
Easily XF. The most recent auctions on Heritage for '16-D dimes in XF40 went for over $5k.

uugghh....OK, I'll be the jerk :o .......first of all, simply fantastic find, one we all dream about!! :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:........unfortunately, since someone rubbed the dime with dirt still on it you now have all of those nasty hairline scratches on both sides and I really think it was at least a $1,000 mistake.

I sure wish EVERYONE who uncovers silver would handle it like dynamite until they get home in order to rinse it gently until they know what they have.

HH all!

Greg
 
Congrats on a great find and filling out your collection. :icon_thumright:
 
well I for one know exactly how you feel since I dug a 1916-D in august this year! bigtime congrats, are you sending it in the be slabbed? can we see a closeup clean pic without the dirt? Sure hope those aren't scratches on it....ughhh they might mark it cleaned.
 
Way to go on your well deserved BANNER find!!! :hello2: :thumbsup:
-MM-
 
1235CE said:
unfortunately, since someone rubbed the dime with dirt still on it you now have all of those nasty hairline scratches on both sides and I really think it was at least a $1,000 mistake.
I agree with this, I just didn't want to be the first to say it. It will probably get a scarlet letter of some kind if submitted to a TPG.
 
captainfwiffo said:
1235CE said:
unfortunately, since someone rubbed the dime with dirt still on it you now have all of those nasty hairline scratches on both sides and I really think it was at least a $1,000 mistake.
I agree with this, I just didn't want to be the first to say it. It will probably get a scarlet letter of some kind if submitted to a TPG.

Still a great find on one of the most over-rated "rarities" in american numismatics!
 
CONGRATS !!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :notworthy: :headbang: :notworthy: I found my 1922 no D wheat penny in March,but this one still eludes me.
 
such a rare find! nice job!
 
Congrats on the 1916-D and the banner. :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom