What's new

I completed my Mercury dime collection today

bk

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
1,423
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After thirty seven years of detecting, I finally realized my goal of finding a complete set of Mercury dimes with a metal detector by unearthing the elusive 1916-D.
Ironically this coin was found in one of the first parks that I ever detected.
I was showing a friend how my detector works, and had unplugged my headphones so that he could hear the sounds too. Within a few minutes I had a good solid signal that read 28 on the Minelab Explorer. The depth meter indicated that it was deeper than most of the clad dimes that I was finding there so I told him that it will be a dime and probably will be silver because of the depth.
The photos show the coin shortly after it was found with the dirt still on it.
The dime was found near the tree in the picture.
 

Attachments

  • 1916 d obv..webp
    1916 d obv..webp
    102.7 KB · Views: 7,998
  • 1916 d rev..webp
    1916 d rev..webp
    94.6 KB · Views: 7,957
  • 111311 013.webp
    111311 013.webp
    204.3 KB · Views: 7,807
Upvote 0
:icon_thumright: wow - that is a dream find right there!!!! :)
 
excellent.....congrats
 
what a high goal, but you did it! congrats ! :)
 
Congrats on finishing the collection, awesome!!! :headbang: :hello2:
 
High Plains Digger said:
Your 21D is stinking gorgeous also. What a great pair! Your other 21 is what my 21d looks like. But, we take what we can get.
Shoot the whole book when you get a chance. But now you are in a bad spot--when you are number one there's no place to go but down. Unless, of course, you set your sights on a SLQ complete dug set. Can you make that commitment?
Here are pics of the album.
 

Attachments

  • 1916 to1931 obverse.webp
    1916 to1931 obverse.webp
    391.6 KB · Views: 643
  • 1916 to 1931 reverse.webp
    1916 to 1931 reverse.webp
    354.7 KB · Views: 639
  • 1934 to 1945 obverse.webp
    1934 to 1945 obverse.webp
    368.3 KB · Views: 657
  • 1934 to 1945 reverse.webp
    1934 to 1945 reverse.webp
    357.2 KB · Views: 638
  • 1916 to1931 obverse.webp
    1916 to1931 obverse.webp
    391.6 KB · Views: 619
  • 1916 to 1931 reverse.webp
    1916 to 1931 reverse.webp
    354.7 KB · Views: 612
  • 1934 to 1945 obverse.webp
    1934 to 1945 obverse.webp
    368.3 KB · Views: 635
  • 1934 to 1945 reverse.webp
    1934 to 1945 reverse.webp
    357.2 KB · Views: 623
People like you make me sick.............sick with happiness for you! What a great collection and something to be incredibly proud of! I have already said it in a previous post, but, I'll say it again, "Congrats on the great finds and saves!" The sight of all those together is most impressive!!! :notworthy:
 
Congrates! I need 8 lousy Wheaties to fill my collection, have a most key dates, but I also need a few that about a billion were minted.
Not even close to filling the Mercs.
Carl
 
wow! mercuries are very real to me. I'm not likely to find a flowing hair in miami, fl, but I do find mercs and your accomplishment is an inspiration. That 16d...gorgeous!
 
What a terrific story and final find, the elusive 1916D. Congrats to you!
 
I think that it is amazing that you have attained such a collection. Banner!! Well done!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom