What's new

I completed my Mercury dime collection today

bk

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
1,423
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After thirty seven years of detecting, I finally realized my goal of finding a complete set of Mercury dimes with a metal detector by unearthing the elusive 1916-D.
Ironically this coin was found in one of the first parks that I ever detected.
I was showing a friend how my detector works, and had unplugged my headphones so that he could hear the sounds too. Within a few minutes I had a good solid signal that read 28 on the Minelab Explorer. The depth meter indicated that it was deeper than most of the clad dimes that I was finding there so I told him that it will be a dime and probably will be silver because of the depth.
The photos show the coin shortly after it was found with the dirt still on it.
The dime was found near the tree in the picture.
 

Attachments

  • 1916 d obv..webp
    1916 d obv..webp
    102.7 KB · Views: 7,998
  • 1916 d rev..webp
    1916 d rev..webp
    94.6 KB · Views: 7,957
  • 111311 013.webp
    111311 013.webp
    204.3 KB · Views: 7,807
Upvote 0
You found them ALL?? That is truly amazing!! I have found one merc in my 4 years of detecting! LOL! You are a master! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
 
Just don't slab it and you won't have to deal with the slab snobs.
 
A dream find! Congrats! :headbang: :hello2:
 
Really nice detail remaining, even all the reeds on the hatchet are intact. As far as the scratches, I probably would have done the same.....knowing it was silver, I would be over-anxious to see what I had!

Regardless, really nice save and 'grats on the banner!
 
she is in great shape :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: hoping i do not have to wait 30 yrs for mine she is at the top of my list :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Congrats on filling the book with all detected coins, that is quite the feat! :icon_thumright:
 
Looks like it was dropped the year it was minted, congrats on reaching your goal. Did you set this goal on day one 37 years ago or when? How many hours do you think it took?
 
What great shape!!!!!!!!
 
Gorgeous Find !!!!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Hope I can find one half as nice! Happy Huntin

silvestor
 
BK,

Sorry to be late to the party, but just had to say...that's a gorgeous find. Also, congrats on completing the set.

HH,
CD
 
Congrats on the set :hello2: :hello2:
 
What a way to end your collection with a awesome Merc , I am still waiting to find my first, CONGRATS. Banner for sure. :headbang:
 
Very nice job. I hope your collection feels like it has its long lost brother with them now. Awesome find
 
Hey, congratulations on a sweet find. I guess now you're gonna have to take your doubles and get started on a second set. Get to work. Talk to ya in 37 years.digsallday
 
Congratulations!!!! :icon_thumleft:
 
Find of a liftime. Great job.
 
Just curious...how many dimes does it take to make a complete Mercury set?

Do you have a photo of the complete set?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom