What's new

I completed my Mercury dime collection today

bk

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
1,423
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After thirty seven years of detecting, I finally realized my goal of finding a complete set of Mercury dimes with a metal detector by unearthing the elusive 1916-D.
Ironically this coin was found in one of the first parks that I ever detected.
I was showing a friend how my detector works, and had unplugged my headphones so that he could hear the sounds too. Within a few minutes I had a good solid signal that read 28 on the Minelab Explorer. The depth meter indicated that it was deeper than most of the clad dimes that I was finding there so I told him that it will be a dime and probably will be silver because of the depth.
The photos show the coin shortly after it was found with the dirt still on it.
The dime was found near the tree in the picture.
 

Attachments

  • 1916 d obv..webp
    1916 d obv..webp
    102.7 KB · Views: 7,998
  • 1916 d rev..webp
    1916 d rev..webp
    94.6 KB · Views: 7,957
  • 111311 013.webp
    111311 013.webp
    204.3 KB · Views: 7,807
Upvote 0
AWESOME!!! :notworthy:

Congrats on this and all your other Mercs!!

Dave
 
Wow, that's a great story. I bet any 1916D Merc would have thrilled you, but you managed to find a BEAUTIFUL one!!!
 
wow. huge congrats! that might be the best of those i've seen come out of the ground.
nice to pull it at one of your old parks, too. :headbang:
 
bk, That' one PRETTY coin!! Goc Bless HH Chris
 
Congrats, it looks to be in pretty good shape.
 
Outstanding rare dime find!
Way to go. :occasion14:
-MM-
 
wow what a find... congrats!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 
I believe it completely!

I found a 1916-S two days back.
It was found in the first 5 minutes I was out; my first signal of the day; and the first dig.
My machine was not even ground balanced.
The place I had went has definitely seen 1000's of detectors over the years.
And, I am sure 100's of coils passed over that small area I was on.
I found it right off the main sidewalk not 3 feet out on the grass and it was just under the surface.
Kind of makes you wonder how it was missed all these years?

Congratulation on a super find!
I can share your sentiment on this one. And can definitely imagine what you were thinking. LOL! :headbang:
 
Outstanding find. One of the best Mercury dimes I've seen.

Congrats on completing your dime set :icon_thumright:
 
WOW BK!!! Congrats on reaching a milestone! You rock man! :headbang:
 
Wow, who finds those? :laughing9: -even if it took 37 years. Banner btw ...
 
Great job on the accomplishment! Fingers crossed on your next hunt! :headbang:
 
Unbelievable! That is in fantastic shape. Always be on my wish list. Maybe I need to return to some of my old hunting grounds. Congratulations
 
Awesome coin & in nice condition! great job! Banner!!!!
 
Beautiful shape too.Just look at the hair line and you nearly got the split bands on the back!!Big congrats. :notworthy:
 
That is beautiful! What is the coin inflation rate on that one? Face value 10 cents...Value over a Thousand Dollars ...I can't add that high. Wow!!!! Outstanding!!!! I'm gonna look at it again.
 
Wow, I am dreaming that one day I can live this real life dream of yours...

I would also say that is the nicest looking one I have ever seen dug. I'd say you could get between 2 and 3 grand for that beaut right there.... Congrats.
 
AWESOME find and a AWESOME Mercury!! Best looking 1916D I've even seen pictured. :hello2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom