What's new

I enjoy a nice piece

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
of pottery every once in a while. I went out yesterday and this is just about all I found we have had so much rain 14 inches last month and after today 3 inches this month so far and more on the way. Tough looking is all I can say. Found a pot bottom with a leg on it to. In this area they made some pots with legs 3-4 on the bottom so the pot wouldnt fall over. Pretty smart I bet the person that came up with that idea got a free deer steak :laughing7:. The rim section is one of the best designed for the type I have ever found its called
Lamar Complicated Stamped. Hope others are having better luck, rock
 

Attachments

  • SDC13026.webp
    SDC13026.webp
    1 MB · Views: 157
  • SDC13027.webp
    SDC13027.webp
    1 MB · Views: 112
  • SDC13030.webp
    SDC13030.webp
    1 MB · Views: 104
Upvote 0
That piece is awesome. What period is it from, do you think?
 
Those are amazing pieces! I've found a lot of pottery but never one that nice and yet to find a leg too. It would be really cool to find the rest of it!
 
Very nice rim Rock. Are you far from Kolomoki?
 
Nice! I've never found any pottery that decorative. The good thing about all that rain is that you should have brand "new" creeks! Creek or field find?
 
Very nice rim Rock. Are you far from Kolomoki?

I live close to Kolomoki! You got any good places to hunt in Early County Georgia that you want to tell me about? :laughing7:
 
of pottery every once in a while. I went out yesterday and this is just about all I found we have had so much rain 14 inches last month and after today 3 inches this month so far and more on the way. Tough looking is all I can say. Found a pot bottom with a leg on it to. In this area they made some pots with legs 3-4 on the bottom so the pot wouldnt fall over. Pretty smart I bet the person that came up with that idea got a free deer steak :laughing7:. The rim section is one of the best designed for the type I have ever found its called
Lamar Complicated Stamped. Hope others are having better luck, rock

Man that is a niece piece Rock, thick around the top just as it should be, with deep clefts between the upper bulbous protrusions. Nice curvy lines beneath all that, and great leg(s) too !! HH
 
That piece is awesome. What period is it from, do you think?

That would be Late Mississippian period they did some beautiful pottery in that time frame. Their points well not so nice. I have found a few nice triangles but not many these 2 would be late M as well. These 2 are probably from the same time frame 500 yrs or younger.
 

Attachments

  • SDC12957.webp
    SDC12957.webp
    997.4 KB · Views: 80
I'm assuming these are coil Pots? Do you have a time period for them and what area? Dung fired?

I believe they were made just like the other older pots dont think they were coiled but Im not a pot expert I use a book just like for point I.D. but its only pottery in the book.
 
Man that is a niece piece Rock, thick around the top just as it should be, with deep clefts between the upper bulbous protrusions. Nice curvy lines beneath all that, and great leg(s) too !! HH

Your funny, ha
 
Nice! I've never found any pottery that decorative. The good thing about all that rain is that you should have brand "new" creeks! Creek or field find?

They could be brand new if the water ever goes down Id be sure to let you know. I know there were plenty of trees hiding in new places.
 
Those are amazing pieces! I've found a lot of pottery but never one that nice and yet to find a leg too. It would be really cool to find the rest of it!

Ive never found a whole pot and yes it would be nice. Glad you like them
 
The pot with the leg is nice due to the leg was actually made when the pot was made. The leg isnt attached after firing like many I have found it is actually part of the original pot as the pot was being made. I have found just the legs in the past where they were made single then attached this one is different. I will have to look it up tomorrow in my book and see what the age might be. Thanks for the interest, rock
 
I don’t usually care much for pottery but that is a nice piece , good find
 
I live close to Kolomoki! You got any good places to hunt in Early County Georgia that you want to tell me about? :laughing7:

Oh you know any ole peanut farm along the water is always good. Lots of G-10's what ever that means Lol.
 
Beautiful pottery!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom