Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was in the woods this morning, not the smartest thing for someone crippled like me and blind in one eye. It was a rather chilly morning and I am super thankful for that. I had my walking stick and all of my stuff and was fighting the briars, vines, sticks and everything else that could grab or trip me. I managed to trip and fall chest first onto a very large fire ant hill. I could not get off of it for nothing for a full minute or so and finally rolled off. I had managed to get my walking stick and everything else tangled in my arms etc. Anyways, not one ant had come out to my surprise, guess they were cold.

Then about 30 yards up higher on the ridge I was climbing, I got into a pile of rotted wood that I was sinking in with every step. Yep, stupid right foot hung on something and down hard I went again. My chest was down on a pile of crap but my face was in a clump of 8 hickory trees about 12 ft tall. I was angry at falling and falling hard three times, I had a bloody face and arms and had hit a rock hard with my right forearm and it was killing me. I was struggling very hard trying to get back up but the rotting wood made it even harder. I was trying very hard to get my feet back under me but getting nowhere when I noticed the huge head and front portion of a very large rattler.

There is something very humbling in recognizing that a poisonous snake much less one this big is under your chest and trying to get out from under you. I both froze and raised up as much as I dared to allow the snake to get free of me. It was moving very sluggishly as it eased forward to get away. It never made any form of trying to bite me, it just wanted away from what ever was on top of it. Finally I could see the dark bluish black tail clearing me as well as the numerous rattles. It kept the buttons or rattles held higher as it moved to about 10 or 12 feet from me and just stopped, partially in the sun.

After it stopped, I went back to my struggling to get up (but not until a quick look to make sure that there wasn't another one.) I had by now texted my wife to come help me because I was really hurting now. So I waited for her to get there and to show her the snake. When we left 45 minutes later, it was still there, sunning. She had asked me immediately as to if I had killed it. I told her nope, it hadn't tried to bite me at all and so I let it go. Yeah, my angel was working overtime for me today! Me, I am hurting all over but no bites of any sort pain wise. Still an extremely blessed man. My wife had seen some large rattlers before but not this big. That big head demands respect and it will get your full attention instantly, at least it did me. Be safe out there folks!

If you enlarge the photos, you can see it better, the head is hidden to the left. The wife wouldn't get any closer for a pic so I had to hobble a little closer for them, still conscious of falling again.

Attachments

• snake 1.jpg
    snake 1.jpg
    996.7 KB · Views: 236
  • snake 2.jpg
    snake 2.jpg
    945.6 KB · Views: 179

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
closest I have come to that is a Black Widow spider crawling up my arm. NO THANKS

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if you're harder on the wildlife , or yourself!

No poison ivy though. So that's good.

Seriously though , easy does it....

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cold saved the day!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used to be able to see a snake no problem, they seemed to glow to me and stand out like crazy. But this macular degenration in my left eye makes seeing harder. I was and am very thankful for the chilly night, a warmer night might not fared so well. My wife had made several comments about how I looked and it wasn't until I looked in the mirror of the truck that I understood what she was talking about. My face was covered in thick blood from several cuts/scratches. The blood thinners I take for stroke prevention etc make any cut or scratch look really bad. I had earlier told myself to watch for snakes as I made my way thru an area but the falls had my mind on other things. I hope that the snake eats a lot of wood rats and squirrels with a smattering of rabbits. I won't be doing anything for a day or two.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to assume ur old as a grey bearded buck ;) Be careful..choose your adventures with some thought and don't stop making stories!

I've never seen a rattler like that. It was probably cold and knew it's limitations..."if I could just warm up this thick blood..I'd teach that SOB to mess with me!...maybe just a bit longer in the sun.."

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 1. You were luck, always go out with people to see for you. Good luck and good hunting.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one I ran across recently. It was piss and vinegar mad for no reason.

58F4F0E9-ED33-45C1-8CD1-BE6DBB823EFC.jpeg

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right your angel WAS watching over you. Glad your ok.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Holy Shite! You'll never come closer to being bitten. Glad you escaped unscathed.
Jim

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hair on the back of my neck is STILL standing up! Stay well!!:skullflag:

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dangit man, u lived through what most of us here fear.im glad you are safe, but it sounds to me like yiu should get yourself a good dog to help you in your searches, at least he wont tell your tales, or your secret spots��

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would have done it for me! There are no words!

Porkrind

Dec 8, 2018
OK
Detector(s) used
Quest - QuestPro / Bounty Hunter - Landranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of my son when he was 6 and about two weeks from turning 7. We were having a overcast day and mild temperatures so my son was playing outside. He was jumping up and down trying to pull leaves off of a low hanging branch when all the sudden he grimaced his face and shocking yelled owe! Of course he was shoeless and immediately started saying something bit him as he ran towards my wife and I. I told him very calmly to slow down and not to run. He said it was burning really bad and I looked down to see two puncture marks on his right big toe. I told my wife to hurry and get a bag of ice and not to let him lay down yet. As they went inside I started looking when he was playing and sure enough I found the sucker that bit him. It was a Pygmy rattlesnake and so I took pictures of it real quick with my phone as my wife loaded him up so we could take him to the hospital. 7 days later he was released from the children’s hospital here. The hospital was awesome with him and working to do everything they could. It was like pulling teeth to get the anti venom from the poison control center though.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you and the snake are OK.
Thanks for not killing it.
Everything has its place in nature and shouldn't be punished for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread