What's new

I have a question regarding a hairline fracture of my coil protector.....

lorraine

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
4,474
Reaction score
3,764
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Would "'super glue" be an effective product to close this thin break on the rim of the protector?

If not, what would you suggest as a remedy so that I can continue using this protector?


I do have a new "spare" cover , but would prefer to effectively repair this one at this time.

I would appreciate any advice regarding this problem.

Thank you,

Lorraine

DSCF2020.webp
 
Upvote 0
Could do that. Could try silicon caulking also. It's make to keep moisture out.
 
superglue should work, seals and drys very hard! clear marine epoxy would be good! i dont use coilcovers but im not hunting rocky beaches either!
chuck.
 
I would suggest an epoxy resin....one that is good with all plastics (not all are). Most of them can be sanded after it cures.
 
Thank you, 0121stockpicker

Lorraine
 
Thank you, Chuck

Lorraine
 
Thank you, hag730

Lorraine
 
go to Lowes or home depot
go with a water proof resin epoxy
it will set up like cement after and should give you a few more yrs
 
Neat thing is Lorraine..... half the work is done for the repair.... the epoxy instructions should say to scuff the surfaces ..... you've already done that!!!! :laughing7: A good epoxy for plastic will work as Casper has said already.

Cliff
 
Thanks, Casper.

Lorraine
 
Thanks, Cliff.

Lorraine
 
I would use marine epoxy not super glue, salt water will not affect it and it will last forever....
 
Thank you, Treasure Hunter ; I just found some in the garage; will try to do the job correctly

Lorraine
 
Thank you, Hamiddetecting!

Lorraine
 
pc11 marine epoxy putty is very easy to use , comes in stick form just roll between fingers to mix press into crack and sand after set up. can get at west marine

Burl
 
A small strip of fiberglass cloth added with the epoxy will insure that the crack won't open back up again. Epoxy can crack easily when it is cold if it is not reenforced. Just apply the epoxy, then press in the cloth, then cover with epoxy again while still wet.
 
thank you , Burl...I''ll look for this product....directions seem easy ; I'm not usually good at this kind of project.

Lorraine
 
Thank you, Bigscoop.

Where can I purchase this fiberglass cloth...maybe Home Depot?

Lorraine
 
I have had very good success using a product called "Amazing Goop". They also sell the same product under the names "Plumbers Goop", "RV Goop", and "Household Goop". The stuff is same as another product sold as "Shoe Goo". It dries super tough. I think it wears better than epoxy. I periodically coat my coil cover with it and never have to buy new ones. Minelab's prices for coil covers are insanely high now.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom