What's new

I have a VERY AGRESSIVE dog problem

Gare

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2012
Messages
13,409
Reaction score
30,227
Golden Thread
0
Location
Canton Ohio Area
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help m e with ideas. My dog wants to fight every dog it sees . Anyone have any ideas ?
 
Last edited:
Can anyone help m e with ideas. My dog wants to fight every dog it sees . Anyone have any ideas ?

What breed of dog is it? Does he/she get plenty of exercise?

When I was a kid we had a miniature schnauzer that that thought he could
take on anything. Well, he went down the street and picked a fight with a
St. Bernard..who quickly opened him up from his belly to his shoulder. Pepper
survived, and bunch of stitches and a month later he finally healed up. The
ditz went and tried to pick another fight with the same dog, and fortunately
the Bernard's owner stopped it before Pepper was ...toast.
budo.gif
 
I suppose if it is fighting due to fear, the behavior might be able to be curbed, but I’d be sure it was up to date on vaccinations and keep it on a good leash when other dogs might be encountered.
 
My dog is a Staffordshire terrier I was told. It is like a Pit bull/ This is the BEST Minding dog i have EVER HAD !!! EXCEPT when another dog comes around
 
My vet says take it back to the dog pound where i got it from. I thought I was rescuing a fantastic dog. I have had him for about a year and a half. I have seen him attack 4 other dogs under my control. Yesterday someone came to my door knocked . She had a dog on a leash , My dog charged the screen gllass door and knock it out of my hand and got to the other dog. He sank his teeth into the dog and would not let go . I really love my dog and do not want to get rid of him if possible
 
My vet says take it back to the dog pound where i got it from. I thought I was rescuing a fantastic dog. I have had him for about a year and a half. I have seen him attack 4 other dogs under my control. Yesterday someone came to my door knocked . She had a dog on a leash , My dog charged the screen gllass door and knock it out of my hand and got to the other dog. He sank his teeth into the dog and would not let go . I really love my dog and do not want to get rid of him if possible
Has he been neutered?

If not it may help, if he has there may not be anything you can do, do you know what and where he came from, it's possible he was encouraged/forced to fight from a young age, or it just his nature.
 
Has he been neutered?

If not it may help, if he has there may not be anything you can do, do you know what and where he came from, it's possible he was encouraged/forced to fight from a young age, or it just his nature.
He is neutered
 
I don’t know what kind of K9 training resources you have in your community, but your dog needs some training. It likely won’t be cheap, but that seems the best option. Tough situation, good luck.
 
Hi @Gare . I'm sorry to read about your problem. My advice is, ask a well known and trustworthy dog trainer.
Hasn't to be Cesar Millan, but right someone in you neighborhood which has good reputation.
May be he can see what causes the problem and can guide you to keep care about.
It will be a tough way, but you really need help and guidance from a pro for sure.
Like @AU Seeker mentioned, neutered also can cause problems.
So if a fearful male dog is neutered, a complete loss of hormones isn't helpful at all, i.e.
If it's a good trainer she/he will see a problem. May be it is a medical one, who knows.
A good trainer will see the dog as a unit and will help, for sure.
Best of Luck
IMO
 
I don’t know what kind of K9 training resources you have in your community, but your dog needs some training. It likely won’t be cheap, but that seems the best option. Tough situation, good luck.
I live in a small area. I do not know of any dog trainers near me. (not in a hundred miles at least) I have talked to some I was told to watch closely and stop the dog before the attacks . I thought this made a lot of sense before the attacks
 
Hi @Gare . I'm sorry to read about your problem. My advice is, ask a well known and trustworthy dog trainer.
Hasn't to be Cesar Millan, but right someone in you neighborhood which has good reputation.
May be he can see what causes the problem and can guide you to keep care about.
It will be a tough way, but you really need help and guidance from a pro for sure.
Like @AU Seeker mentioned, neutered also can cause problems.
So if a fearful male dog is neutered, a complete loss of hormones isn't helpful at all, i.e.
If it's a good trainer she/he will see a problem. May be it is a medical one, who knows.
A good trainer will see the dog as a unit and will help, for sure.
IMO
Guest i thank you for your input. I have been trying to find a responsible trainer i can talk to and take my dog to. I did get the dog from a dog pound. I like rescuing animals
 
Last edited:
I live in a small area. I do not know of any dog trainers near me. (not in a hundred miles at least) I have talked to some I was told to watch closely and stop the dog before the attacks . I thought this made a lot of sense before the attacks
A lot of dogs show more aggression when they are on-leash. They feel further restrained from protecting their owner. It's a tough fix, but understand what he's trying to do, and why he's upset. If you know someone with a younger pup, you may build your guys confidence in his ability to just stand his ground and not attack out of fear. Hope that helps if it fits your scenario.
 
A lot of dogs show more aggression when they are on-leash. They feel further restrained from protecting their owner. It's a tough fix, but understand what he's trying to do, and why he's upset. If you know someone with a younger pup, you may build your guys confidence in his ability to just stand his ground and not attack out of fear. Hope that helps if it fits your scenario.
My dog was not on a leashe. He was inside my home and when i answered the door he knocked the door out of my hand
 
My vet says take it back to the dog pound where i got it from. I thought I was rescuing a fantastic dog. I have had him for about a year and a half. I have seen him attack 4 other dogs under my control. Yesterday someone came to my door knocked . She had a dog on a leash , My dog charged the screen gllass door and knock it out of my hand and got to the other dog. He sank his teeth into the dog and would not let go . I really love my dog and do not want to get rid of him if possible
You seriously don't know what to do? Around here it would already been done for you by one of those neighbors. God forbid one of those dogs that yours attacks is with a small child. Do the right thing and do it today.
 
A reputable trainer should tell you that A. This starts as a pup.
And B. Your timing and control are not suited to correcting a dog.

Training should be done when? Right. Start as a pup.
I could put a muzzle and lead on your dog and have someone expose anther dog to it and either pin your dog or flip it on the charge and then pin it. 5 times in a row.
5 times.
5times.
No delay in timing. No loss of control. 5 times.
Have you caught the 5 times part yet?
Then we could see how you and your dog react to the next exposure.
I suspect your dog would still try to nail the other dog. Because you have allowed it t over and over and over and over. Which of course reinforced the behavior over and over and over and over.
Oh it would know I disapprove because I reinforced the disapproval or praised the action I wanted ; how many times?
But how many times has the dog got away with nailing other dogs?
Now we have a dog confused if it is allowed to be territorial or not. But it was allowed to be territorial and or protective of you how long?

You know how a horse senses your attitude?
What did your dog sense OF YOU when someone was at the door with a dog?
Next thing you knew , out of four bodies only one was in charge. ONE!
And it was being territorially defensive with zero restraint on your part.
Zero prior restraint. Zero current you are in charge restraint. What restraint should be expected tomorrow?

IF you let a horse learn (how many times?) that it can break a lead or tether ; what happens?
Now how would I make it stop trying to break a tether?
 
You can always take it out to the farm in the country, which is what we did back in the day with a unruly animal.
 
I have the same issue with a dog we got from the pound - smallish, probably a mix of small breed + Rhodesian ridgeback, we think. She grew up on the streets and had pups before she turned 1 yo. Very aggressive towards other dogs and even kids. Has attacked two neighborhood dogs already - both times she bolted when the door was opened for whatever reason - we had no idea, now we do. She's become kind of a house prisoner. Muzzles are a must if taking her somewhere. I've talked with trainers and they say she can most likely be socialized - 3 weeks, or longer, $2500. She is a great dog otherwise so we're going to give it a try.
 
Can anyone help m e with ideas. My dog wants to fight every dog it sees . Anyone have any ideas ?
Sorry for your problem. You must realize this dog could cost you everything you own one day. Get rid of the dog. Pits and Pit mixes are ticking time bombs no matter how sweet they are. I know. When they are good, they are good, but when they are bad, they can be VERY BAD.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom