I HAVE GEMSTONES, BUT DONT KNOW WHAT KIND

JADEJEAN

Jul 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody,

I've been stumped on this for a year. I have a bag of stones that I bought at an estate sale that belonged to a man that owned a gem and bead store before he passed. This particular bag was hidden away, which peaked my interest. The stones inside are unusually heavy. They are high on the Moh's scale, about 8-9. I brought them to a jeweler that was able to tell me the RI is 1.9 and the specific gravity was around 3.42. They are nearly impossible to scratch, file or break. There seems to be a "coating" or something similar to a very dull "crust" on the outside of the stones and underneath that it is extremely shiny. The stones are not magnetic at all. Many people have tested with different earth magnets and nothing.

Anybody have any idea?

20190714_143259_1563140423836.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something is off in your numbers. Can't find a mineral with all of those specifics you have given. Based on the crystal forms, I was thinking zircon.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The crystal structure is octahedral, so that eliminates a lot of stuff. Magnetite, an ore of iron is a possibility as is a possible spinel as mentioned, also, but not likely, Franklinite which comes from Franklin, NJ.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The first thought I had was chromite, but I'm no expert.
Jim

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking rough black spinel myself, found some images online of rough black spinel for comparison.
natural-spinel-rough-gemstones-20b.jpg
r214d.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread