I hope this guy does not hunt in public parks or schools.....;o)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
A good number of people dig like this right here in the U.S.

A couple years ago I posted a picture here of such a site. There where about 50 8-12 inch round dead spots visible in the photo.

I've seen people do this much damage with a small hand trowel.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This guy is spending way too much time trying to recover a target. Not only is he destroying the sod and making a bad image for the rest of us, but he is wasting is own time.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw those kind of holes right here in my local park one year and I about had a heart attack. I went and put up my detector and searched the park filling in the holes.
Never did find the person doing it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This makes me sick....I once showed a hunter how to improve his recovery techniques and got cussed at. So I saw to it that he got a ticket for destroying park grounds. In court he got stuck with court costs, had to pay to reseed the area as he had over 20 holes, some he didn't even replace the clods.

Sorta makes you wish there was a bounty on these dudes.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I already added my 2 cents to this video posting on YouTube.
Joe

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted a VFW post with a fellow ONCE. When he used a big bowie knife to cut a clod about 9 inches across and smack the sod against his thigh until the coin dropped out .... after most of the dirt.... I told him NO MORE! TTC

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
That guy should be digging swimming pools, not coins. We buried my Grandpa in a smaller grave than that crater he dug...

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
i meaan my holes are messy.but i mean that feild must have looked like a meteor shower hit!
i try my best with holes and fill them in (even the ones that look like crap)
but seriously?this guy just used a relic hunting shovel for a target no more than 4 inches down!
but guys we really should yell at people about this stuff.because not everyone understands that thats wrong.we should help people like that right?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I think he should have been smacked in the head with his shovel.
all it takes is for one a$$hole like him, to give MD'ers a bad reputation that will take forever to change

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Ok... so I'm a complete newbie to this hobby and I want to learn what not to do. His technique doesn't look too much different from what I've seen other "professionals" do on YouTube. From what I can see the biggest issue that people have is with the size of the initial hole. I agree that it was way too big and he could have gotten by with something around 5" instead of 12".

Other than that are there other things you can specifically point out that aren't professional besides the following?

1) Hole was too big.
2) Didn't use a cloth to keep extra dirt off of the grass.
3) I'm assuming that he filled in his hole when he was done.
4) He cut the sod into halves and then fourths because he didn't have a pinpointer. But I've seen "experts" say that this is the way to do it if you don't have a pinpointer.
5) Others?

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Yeah, I am a noob too, but that is just ridiculous. Part of the reason why I have yet to venture out into the grass is my pinpointing technique is not good enough yet. I do not want to destroy sod and leave ugly craters.

But honestly, you have to teach someone, not just expect them to know. Teach and train, and this problem will solve itself.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I should get my 6 year old to show him how to do it. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread