What's new

I JUST CALLED AN ARMORED CAR COMPANY

cyberdan

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2006
Messages
4,599
Reaction score
2,232
Golden Thread
0
Location
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was not one of the big guys but they have several "warehouses"

They have 1440 IKES and are willing to ship it to the closest location to me. It is in two bags and they will charge me $5 per bag because I am not a customer.

I asked if he gets a lot of requests for IKES or halves. He said not at all on the dollar and he said "we move halves in and out all the time"

I asked how many halves, they had 3 boxes @ $4 box to sell but he could get all I needed. I declined the halves but told him I was interested in IKES. He said they will be here.

I have never paid over face for coins but I only need to find one Morgan or Peace dollar to break even.

Do I feel lucky?
 
Upvote 0
You're a brave coin hunter. I wish you the best.
 
It would be nice if you could sell some at $1.05 to make up for the charge. But I wouldn't count on getting anything above face for them. Chances for finding a silver are slim... But I think curiosness would get the better of me.
 
$5 a bag isn't that bad. You might find a Morgan or Peace in there. If you don't find anything special, try putting them on eBay, you might make a few extra bucks to cover the cost of the bag or more.
 
My "gut" instinct tells me you will find a keeper...........if i'm
wrong its LJs fault. ;D
 
I'd definitely go for it. Just one silver one would make it worth it. If not you'll probably complete an Ike collection. I was thinking about doing the same thing myself. How did you go about finding who to call?

Brian
 
kestrelia said:
If not you'll probably complete an Ike collection.
I already have several almost complete collections. I have over 800 IKES already that I have not taken back to the bank. I put these together to sell on ebay, just haven't gotten around to listing them yet.

kestrelia said:
I was thinking about doing the same thing myself. How did you go about finding who to call?
This was an easy one. I had a new bank order me two boxes and the delivery receipt was stuck in the bottom of one box. It had the couriers name on it. It was more like an order blank at a fast food joint. It listed all the coins it carried with a box in front of each to add quantity. One of the listings was IKE $$

Also, someone posted a link (which I can not find) to a site that lists many of the armored couriers around the country. I only saved the portion for my area (L.A. area)
 
I've seen common Ikes go for $1.40 in 25 coin lots on ebay. Check it out, plus they pay shipping. They ARE sellable.
 
Ten bucks to satisfy your curiousity? Go for it. Cheaper than a burger and fries with a carbonated sugar-laden beverage, probably better for you.

Robin
 
You also may find some 40% also. I asked for halves at a bank last week and was told they had $80.00 worth. When they brought them out, it was Ike's instead. I found 1 40% silver in the lot ( I assume it was 40% was it?)


Rick
 
Also, someone posted a link (which I can not find) to a site that lists many of the armored couriers around the country. I only saved the portion for my area (L.A. area)
[/quote]
Sure would like to have that link. HH Mark
 
cyberdan said:
kestrelia said:
If not you'll probably complete an Ike collection.
I already have several almost complete collections. I have over 800 IKES already that I have not taken back to the bank. I put these together to sell on ebay, just haven't gotten around to listing them yet.

kestrelia said:
I was thinking about doing the same thing myself. How did you go about finding who to call?
This was an easy one. I had a new bank order me two boxes and the delivery receipt was stuck in the bottom of one box. It had the couriers name on it. It was more like an order blank at a fast food joint. It listed all the coins it carried with a box in front of each to add quantity. One of the listings was IKE $$

Also, someone posted a link (which I can not find) to a site that lists many of the armored couriers around the country. I only saved the portion for my area (L.A. area)

I found the link which was posted by diggummup on 12 Jun. Hope this helps! I would post the link but couldn't figure out how to do it.
 
Right click on the link, and select "Save Link Location", then open up a post reply for this thread, right click on the space, select paste, and it will paste the link wherever the cursor is blinking.
 
Thanks for the help. I found the link, couldn't make heads or tails of it but saved it for later. HH Mark
 
I found a Peace Dollar in a bag of Ikes.
 
oldred said:
cyberdan said:
kestrelia said:
If not you'll probably complete an Ike collection.
I already have several almost complete collections. I have over 800 IKES already that I have not taken back to the bank. I put these together to sell on ebay, just haven't gotten around to listing them yet.

kestrelia said:
I was thinking about doing the same thing myself. How did you go about finding who to call?
This was an easy one. I had a new bank order me two boxes and the delivery receipt was stuck in the bottom of one box. It had the couriers name on it. It was more like an order blank at a fast food joint. It listed all the coins it carried with a box in front of each to add quantity. One of the listings was IKE $$

Also, someone posted a link (which I can not find) to a site that lists many of the armored couriers around the country. I only saved the portion for my area (L.A. area)

I found the link which was posted by diggummup on 12 Jun. Hope this helps! I would post the link but couldn't figure out how to do it.
Here ya go-
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:ft1sPElkX2cJ:www.gsa.gov/gsa/cm_attachments/GSA_DOCUMENT/amended20052006MINT11-20ENCLOSURE%2520_R2-uX83_0Z5RDZ-i34K-pR.xls+coin+terminals+miami&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom