I like the older garretts.

Plug popper

Aug 23, 2010
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GMH CXlll Garrett Master Hunter 10x Garrett master hunter 7x Garrett MH ADS 6 master hunter 5x
I like the older garrett's.

Hi to all. I joined a few days ago but have been reading on here for a long time. I will say this' if you are looking for info on just about any thing that has to do with detecting' this is a great place to start. ;D I thought i would poke around a bit and see if anyone else is using some of the older detectors. I have a Garrett mh cxiii and a Garrett mh ads 6 and i like them both. That being said i had a gtxa 400 that was a good littel detector in its owen right as well. A fieind of mine has a Garrett 1500 that i used for a while to see what thy had changed over the year's. Now' i may be way off base but as far as most of it' i did not see that much difference between them as far as depth and the way thy work. What i did notice was the weight of them. I found that was not a big deal to me' in fact the cxiii was to me just a easy to swing as the newer ones. The ads 6 is a littel heavy but not that bad at all. Here what i think as i am old school and learned to run each one of the detectors over the years' is knowing your detector is most of the battle. Now my dad had a whites and always swore by it my brother has a compuss a whites as well as a Garrett. Here's his thinking of it as well. The detector is a part of it' but you must know how to get all out of you can. And some are better at one type of hunting and others are better at another. This is what i have found to be true as a rule.I think the bottom line is what you get use to' my thinking is if it not broke don't fix it. ;D. Anyway i would like to know if there is any other folks that use the older Garrett's and like them. Thanks for taking the time to reed this and let me know your thoughts. plug popper :icon_thumleft:

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I like the older garrett's.

Yup. Still using my Garrett Ultra GTA 500. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think most of use just wanna try the new ones. Granted many newer models are lighter weight and this in itself is a great benefit. All the manufactures claim the newer models get greater depth than the others and if we were to believe that we would be picking up coins on the other side of the earth by now as each year they claim to go deeper.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have an old Garrett ADS III from 1983 that still finds a lot of stuff. It was the first detector I purchased some 30 years ago, it's the one I know best.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I always looked up to Garretts as the "best" detector decades ago, and wished I had one.

What were some of the classic Garretts?

OP
OP
Plug popper

Plug popper

Aug 23, 2010
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GMH CXlll Garrett Master Hunter 10x Garrett master hunter 7x Garrett MH ADS 6 master hunter 5x

Hi no prob about the hijacking glad you posted. :headbang: Somewhere on TN there is a list of all the Garrett's that have been made over the year's. As far as other Co go i have not looked to see. I am no expert by no means but will do my best to awnser your ?. :icon_thumleft: Back when i started it was with a TR unit and that was back in the very late 70's. My dad was into MD long before that. In fact it was a hand made one that he had put together from a kit. I cant recall how well it worked as i and my brother's were the diggers' i know he found stuff with it. Garrett made a ton of units over the years from BFO to TR to VLF and so on. As you know they have made leaps and bounds of improvements over the last few years. Like my first one was a TR unit and for what it was i found a lot of stuff with it and dug a lot of junk as well. It was most likely the Best thing as i learned how to listion to the sound an not depend on the meter or the screen to find out what it was or how deep it was' not that it was that deep to start with :) . After using it for a long while i was able to upgrade to a ADS that was the different of day and night. From there i upgraded when i could. I like my CXIII as well as my ads 6.they serve me well. I used a gtax 400 for some time it was a good unit but did not have the pinpoint on it. It just was not my cup of tea . I had a chance to use a gti 1500 for a while and it was nice but to me there was no that much better that i would give up my old standby units. There are a lot of folks that would say na give me the the newer one. Me i like what i am using but that just me' so to each his Owen. It is what you get used to if you started out with a newer unit you you most likely would not want one of the older ones. There are a lot of co that have made some good units over the year's such as Fisher' White's and the list go's on and most all of them have made all kinds good and not so good detectors I don't know the the link right off hand of the Garrett units but there are a bunch of them that's for sure. Anyway i hope i did not get to far off base with my answer -----God Bless Plug popper

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

....SOMEONE ASKED TO NAME SOME OF THE CLASSIC GARRETT's.........the original Garrett Hunter BFO with all of the coils ....Garrett Sidewinder BFO.......Garrett DeepSeeker ADS....Garrett Grounbdhog ADS.....Garrett Gold Hunter......Garrett Master Hunter ADS 7X........Garrett Freedom III Coin Commander....at least these are some of my favorites.......I could also add all of the CX Series especially the one with the sexy female voice.......LOL.....Joe

boardwalkmike

May 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just took a garrett gta 1000 pm out of the box. Purchased 18 years ago or so. Never used. Using on dry sand at beach. Coil has written on it crossfire supreme deepseeker.Does anyone know if the coil can get wet or can be put in an inch or two of water. not deep water

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an old Garrett ADS III from 1983 that still finds a lot of stuff. It was the first detector I purchased some 30 years ago, it's the one I know best.

Yep!!! Got mine in '83 as well, and there were a whole lot of targets in the ground back then, like silver in school yards. Later on started getting run off everywhere I went..... Caused me to take a 30 year break in the hobby.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I think most of use just wanna try the new ones. Granted many newer models are lighter weight and this in itself is a great benefit. All the manufactures claim the newer models get greater depth than the others and if we were to believe that we would be picking up coins on the other side of the earth by now as each year they claim to go deeper.
Sandman A very true and good post i still use my old Garrets.And i miss your post on here and our PMs and emails . Sandman... R.I.P.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a GTA 1000 back in the 90's. Loved hunting with that machine
as it was deadly on finding wheaties and silver.

Unfortunately, the shaft snapped right under the control housing,
and there was simply no way to repair it.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that Garrett did start off great but seemed to stumble when they started playing the ACE game and the MAX debacle. WE are now watching to see which direction the new APEX trends. Lets hope they re gain the recent lost ground with this new introduction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread