I love my metal detector...and being lucky!

Jcostin

Aug 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll combine the past two days to keep from overloading the board. Yesterday, I hit one of the elementary schools close by and dug a little over $3 in clad. About 15 minutes from calling it a day, I realized I had the sensitivity on my AT Pro down to a half from the night before searching the wood chips in the local tot lot. I bumped it up and within a minute, found this.
gold ring 3.jpg gold ring 3.1.jpg
It's unmarked, but I'm pretty sure it's 10k. I need to get a test kit. It's a little strange, as the pattern looks like it was done by hand...it's not symmetrical, but still cool. Inside the band, there is a < > mark that's maybe where a karat stamp should be? This is ring #9 since getting my ATP in late August.

Today, I was in a field outside of town. Walking the edge, I found a cool NC Chauffeur's License pin.
license.jpg
About 8" deep...wasn't sure what it was to begin with, but with a little spit, I was able to make it out. :laughing7:

After walking the edge of the field a little longer, I took a random line to the adjoining side. Just as luck would have it...and I do mean luck...I swung my coil across this gem...
big cent front.jpg big cent back.jpg
I thought it was just a blank at first, but after I popped it in my mouth, I discovered I had my best find to date...an 1803 Large Cent!!! I made it across the field only finding mystery metal and tin slaw. I will be back, I hope, before they plant the field again!!!

Thanks for looking!

Upvote 7

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent finds. that ring is seriously yellow. it would not surprise me if it were 22k, or 18k at least. It looks like some of the 22k stuff that comes from Asia

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats.Iam not an expert but that ring looks like it could be more than 10k.HH.

OP
OP
Jcostin

Jcostin

Aug 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be cool if it were a higher karat...it's light at only 2.75 grams.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very Nice !!! Looks like you and the AT Pro are hitting it off just fine.

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My guess on the ring is that it's very high karat. Looks like the ones I've seen dental students make out of the fill gold they had at school.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everyone else. Higher Karat gold is very dark, looks like 22k-24k. It would make sense that the mark would rub off kinda easy. Cause higher karat gold is also softer. Cool find, let us know the test results !!

Keep @ it and HH !!

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had mentioned luck....If you process and tweak while detecting.... I think there is a certain amount of skill that we/you get over time detecting. I would consider you highly skilled. Knowing when to do something, looking at conditions of the topography etc. Great job and keep your rabbits foot handy and find more gold!!!!!

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, gold, largies and a chauferrs badge and clad, what a day!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now those are successful hunts. That's a good looking ring and that LC should clean up nice. It's interesting that the 1940 chauffeur's badge and the LC span 137 years between them but were at the same site. Very cool.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds my freind!....I agree...either that ring is junk or its high karat...Im thinking 22k also...and a 1803 LC to boot..WOW..that would make my year!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just about covered it from A-Z ! Congrats on the nice gold ring, a pretty good looking LC, and the chauffeurs badge! That was time well spent! HH!

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yikes...in your mouth..while Ill admit to having done that with a couple tiny silver coins- all that nasty copper flaking off....yeech...my new favorite thing to do now is have a can of cooking spray in my pocket.....blows a lot of the dirt off when you spray it....when you wipe it off...unlike water...any sort of oil has more viscosity ..so you wont have the coin all flaking off...water is about the worst thing to put it in (in your mouth is mostly water obviously) - you will get a lot more flaking of the surface...etc......letting the coin dry out too fast is even worse....

gtfm2345

Nov 15, 2012
c ny
Detector(s) used
TEK OMEGA TEK ALPHA DET PRO WADER NEL COIL 4"dd
10" ELPTCL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What does a 1803 large cent taste like? I can old attest to a 1835 lol !!!!!!!!!!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I hope your ring is Gold and not Alumnium ,alunminum dangit! you know what I mean. Great LC also. Davers

OP
OP
Jcostin

Jcostin

Aug 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words folks! The large cent went into my mouth so I wouldn't rub it...no flaking of the metal. I have it soaking in olive oil now to loosen any more crud sticking to it.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never knew that "LC" stood for Licking Coin. :tongue3:
Awesome finds. Beautiful gold ring from that tot lot and that NC Chauffeur's License is fantastic. :hello2:
Great post.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions