Roll Hunting Family
Jr. Member
Hey, I need some guidance from the forum. My kids and I got into this hobby about 6 months ago, and we’ve been rolling up all of our coins after searching them, since our banks won’t accept loose coins, and I couldn’t find any banks with free coin counting machines.
I bought plastic tubes to make it MUCH faster to roll pennies/nickels/dimes/quarters, but the kids still hate doing it, and if they don’t help it takes me about an hour to roll up a single box of halves.
I eventually found a regional bank that DOES have coin counting machines, free to their members. And a few weeks ago, that regional bank finally opened its lobbies back up (by appointment only).
I’ve got several thousand dollars worth of loose halves in my house right now, and I’m hoping to be able to dump them at this regional bank… But I’ve never done this before! I don’t know how it works, what the etiquette is, etc.
So, I have a few questions:
1) Is there a limit on how much I can, or how much I should, dump at a single bank? I’m guessing that there machine has a limited capacity. Will the bank take out a full bag, replace with an empty one, and let me keep on dumping? Or should I expect to only be able to dump about $500 per visit?
2) How common is it for these banks to allow people like me to buy the half dollars out of the machine that have been deposited by other customers? How does that work? I have several boxes of rolled halves that I could swap them for a bag of loose halves, is it more likely that they’ll go for that?
3) This bank has about a dozen local branch locations with coin counting machines… Should I be assuming that I’ll need to visit a bunch of them in order to dump 10+ boxes of halves?
I bought plastic tubes to make it MUCH faster to roll pennies/nickels/dimes/quarters, but the kids still hate doing it, and if they don’t help it takes me about an hour to roll up a single box of halves.
I eventually found a regional bank that DOES have coin counting machines, free to their members. And a few weeks ago, that regional bank finally opened its lobbies back up (by appointment only).
I’ve got several thousand dollars worth of loose halves in my house right now, and I’m hoping to be able to dump them at this regional bank… But I’ve never done this before! I don’t know how it works, what the etiquette is, etc.
So, I have a few questions:
1) Is there a limit on how much I can, or how much I should, dump at a single bank? I’m guessing that there machine has a limited capacity. Will the bank take out a full bag, replace with an empty one, and let me keep on dumping? Or should I expect to only be able to dump about $500 per visit?
2) How common is it for these banks to allow people like me to buy the half dollars out of the machine that have been deposited by other customers? How does that work? I have several boxes of rolled halves that I could swap them for a bag of loose halves, is it more likely that they’ll go for that?
3) This bank has about a dozen local branch locations with coin counting machines… Should I be assuming that I’ll need to visit a bunch of them in order to dump 10+ boxes of halves?
Upvote
0
Great set up there! Last year, I lived in a place where I had one dump bank with multiple branches, so I did my best to spread my dumps between branches. I was told by one of the tellers that they had cut people off from the coin counters for dumping too much. In this situation, I was always conscious of the bag limits. I would still initiate bag changes from time to time, but did my best to not make it an every week thing (I only hit one branch per week). If I had to dump a ton, I would try to do it at a branch that I hadn't triggered a bag change at recently...or even go as far as to go to a branch that I almost never went to. Knowing the limit for your machine for the denominations you hunt is essential! You don't want to be dumping $1500 worth of dimes when the machine only takes $1000 on a consistent basis. Quick way to wear out your welcome.






