seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I Think It's a Bloody Parrot

77f31505-2860-45c7-b343-796e84f13107_zpsdae5110c.jpg

71db5f72-d2bd-49a8-a101-6a9187c543f5_zps3030e634.jpg

bfa9995d-df71-4dbe-9693-52fd1c1bd95e_zpsf3792db2.jpg

What would have been it's use?

Looks like a decoration piece that you dug in some odd looking soil... that thing sure is got some corrosion going on and I've noticed lot of you're relics got this kind of corrosion what state are you digging this in kinda looks like near lot of salt water? Here is a similar decoration/rosette type artifact i dug in va this is from the mid 19th century, I dont think this piece is got anything to do with military but if you can clean her up good you may see some letters and even possibly a year for a date time frame of this with that so much corrosion on it is very hard too say but maybe 19th century? . Maybe someone can find this actual piece and verify.

Attachments

• jenco.jpg
    jenco.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 470
Upvote 0
Hey HSD,

It was dug from a deep pit behind an old tavern. It was in context with mid 19th Century stuff.

The soil hereabouts is often not kind to stuff. It eats the zinc lids from Mason jars, for instance, but is far from a salt water environment.

These, I'm pretty sure are old pennies, also from the privy deep. I need to learn how to clean these up a bit...

DSC04299_zps6f608faa.jpg

Upvote 0
It could be an owl. With the surrounding stone and what looks to be a compass, it has the appearance of a Masonic/Brotherhood type pendant. Interesting find, Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got to thinking that an owl looks at you with both eyes(straight ahead)and a parrot looks at you with one eye(head to the side)I looked up pendant images for bothowl pendant.jpgparrot pendant.jpg

Upvote 0
Surf, see if you can clean it, then post a close-up pic. :) Breezie

Upvote 0
The perimeter on the item appears to be a design style reminiscent of Art Nouveau. My thoughts are early 1900's at best. Assuming the wheat-back pennies (1909-1958) are from the same privy/pit, then this would be mid 20th Century (1900's), rather than mid 19th Century.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
Surf, see if you can clean it, then post a close-up pic. :) Breezie

Hello Breezie,

Thanks for your help here. Cleaning is not my strong suit, as you can readily see.

I'm an old bottle digger, and have been lucky enough to find some other swell stuff over the years. I've no clue as to cleaning copper / brass items. I just read back a couple pages in the "Cleaning & Preservation" forum, and am now even more confused.

Baking soda / not baking soda, peroxide / hot peroxide, lemon juice / not lemon juice, aluminum jelly, and a few other 'secret sauce' recipes have left me head scratching.

I'd like to give some method a try, but am totally unknowing as to what to attempt...

Many thanks.

4ab924c6-a25d-4bb1-b81f-c252240f16a0_zps552896ef.jpg

Upvote 0
My thoughts are early 1900's at best. Assuming the wheat-back pennies (1909-1958) are from the same privy/pit, then this would be mid 20th Century (1900's), rather than mid 19th Century.

Hey CC,

Thanks for looking. This is an old site that has been well used over the last 200 years. It sits at the base of a bluff by a river crossing. There are houses above, and they were generous enough to pitch some of their refuse over the edge.

The long story, shortened, is that the pennies were picked up all over this largely vertical acre and a half. A few came out of the privies and trash pits associated with the tavern. Those all appear to be Indian Heads. I eyeball em, pick them up, do a little rubbing to see if I can read a date, run em under some water, maybe a little tooth brushing, and end up tossing them in the crusty copper & brass glass.

Oh, there's some doll parts added to keep them company. 8-)

DSC04171_zps44689ebe.jpg

Can this crustiness that seems endemic to the site be removed by some semi-simple home method?

57225df6-46e6-4107-82ce-15c2bf1994a0_zps66963f66.jpg

Upvote 0
Hello Breezie,

Thanks for your help here. Cleaning is not my strong suit, as you can readily see.

I'm an old bottle digger, and have been lucky enough to find some other swell stuff over the years. I've no clue as to cleaning copper / brass items. I just read back a couple pages in the "Cleaning & Preservation" forum, and am now even more confused.

Baking soda / not baking soda, peroxide / hot peroxide, lemon juice / not lemon juice, aluminum jelly, and a few other 'secret sauce' recipes have left me head scratching.

I'd like to give some method a try, but am totally unknowing as to what to attempt...

Many thanks.

I totally understand. Cleaning procedures differ, and each individual swears by their own method. Since the 'bird' brooch, pendant, badge, pin or whatever is basically shot anyway, why not soak it in some lemon juice and salt solution just to see if some of the crud will come off. :) Breezie

Upvote 0
DSC04328_zps6569f287.jpg

Hello Breezie,

I'm poised. Poised, I tell ya, to begin my first decrusting experiment. I want this to be a restorative and delicious experience. Will there be whisking? 8-)

I'm thinking a tangy organic lemon, sea salt, and warm water bath in ye olde plastic container. What parts lemon juice to salt? Just add water? How long a soak.

Sorry, I really am clueless & have not tried this before. I appreciate any assistance.

Tonight's likely victims are awaiting instructions...

DSC04327_zpsbd9b8b75.jpg

There's many others waiting in the wings ready for further experimenting.

7865dc06-da64-4d97-8a3f-7243d5d08387_zps50d192d8.jpg

Upvote 0

Hello Breezie,

I'm poised. Poised, I tell ya, to begin my first decrusting experiment. I want this to be a restorative and delicious experience. Will there be whisking? 8-)

I'm thinking a tangy organic lemon, sea salt, and warm water bath in ye olde plastic container. What parts lemon juice to salt? Just add water? How long a soak.

Sorry, I really am clueless & have not tried this before. I appreciate any assistance.

Tonight's likely victims are awaiting instructions...

There's many others waiting in the wings ready for further experimenting.

Surf, at first I couldn't tell if you were getting ready to sashay across the deck to the hot tub with a lemon margarita or clean relics. :tongue3: Of course the later is not as much fun, but since this is a family forum, I'll stop here.

I clean relics basically like I cook, which means I rarely measure; go with what 'looks' right. I generally put the items in a small plastic container and then almost cover them with bottled lemon juice, then add water to just cover. I add what would be equivalent to a teaspoon or so of salt.

Keep an eye on the items and when they're 'done,' rinse them off with clear water. Some will clean faster than others.

:) Breezie

Upvote 0
Thanks Breezie,

I've just got the real lemon to work with. I'll give it a go and report back. I appreciate your guidance.

I'm relived that there's no whisking involved. I hate whisking.

citrus-juicer-3.jpg

Upvote 0
DSC04336_zpsdf76f50e.jpg

Hello Breezie,

Thank you for the secret recipe on decrusting copper goodies. I followed your instructions, except I used the juice of one lemon, pulp included, but I did remove the seeds, A generous pinch of salt or two, and in went the crusty guys.

Within a half hour or so, I noticed little green haloes blooming from the sunken subjects. I was gonna leave the collar button half in, but noticed the solution seemed to be wicking up to the top, so I went with the total immersion. Little bits of crud seemed to be separating from the goodies.

DSC04377_zps28f54614.jpg

After a couple hours, I was greeted by what looked like St. Paddy's day festivities.

DSC04397_zpsd0b64f2e.jpg

I had been fishing them out, and looking for dates and trying to loosen any heavy crud on the coins. After
about 4 hours, I fished the parrot out and was flabbergasted to see...

0454972c-ed54-4245-b5fd-d2c9384341b7_zpscfc67706.jpg

Should I put him back in a fresh cocktail, or leave him "as is"?

I don't know if that is enamel or paint, but he sure does look tremendously improved, and I do believe he is a bloody parrot. 8-)

The coins are still in the lemon soup. Should I leave them overnight? Will the soup eat them?

Thanks for all your generous help.

While I was watching the corrosion bloom I tried to clean up a couple of bottles, as well.

23790dee-3503-42ea-8122-90e8ad483a4c_zpsa6c20c16.jpg

Upvote 0
Give that man a cee-gar, he's got a bloody parrot!

From what I can tell from the pic, I think you've got a micro-mosaic or either early cloisonne' brooch, which both are made up of tiny inlaid stones and/or glass. It reminds me of a souvenir piece of jewelry a Victorian lady would have brought home from The Grand Tour.

I don't know if I would continue to soak it or not since it might dislodge the stones. It's a shame the soil did a number on it because it is a FINE piece of jewelry. Can you post a pic of the back?

As far as cleaning the bottles are concerned, soaking the inside with Clorox and water with a dab of dish detergent does a fine job. Of course, you can leave the bottles soaking for days without any harm.

:icon_thumright: Breezie

PS: Don't drink the green Koolaid.
:tongue3:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for all your help, Breezie,

I'm not so hot at cleaning. Hey, are those pennies gonna be alright in the green Koolaid, over night?

For bottles, I like the Chuckles Method...

ac30942c-8d2e-4bca-bebb-9f6131a0e287_zpse9e0e6ac.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about the pennies; I've never money 'laundered' money. :) Breezie

(Don't whisk)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back