What's new

I this Apache

HappyTrails55

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
380
Reaction score
445
Golden Thread
0
Location
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
My Grandmother Gladys Lucille Keulen worked at the Pheonix Indian School, Arizona, 1925 to 1930, she was given this Basket from a Indian Lady that Grandma said was Apache....Is it or Not....Thanks, 101_5202.webp101_5263.webp101_5264.webp101_5265.webp101_5266.webp101_5267.webp101_5274.webp101_5275.webp101_5279.webp101_5281.webp101_5283.webp101_5198.webp
 
Upvote 0
It could be Apache Olla basket, or one of a couple of related groups that probably serviced by the schools. The coils are a bit thick which often indicates a later basket. Some of the ones with thinner and tighter coils were earlier pieces made for use, thicker coils often indicate a piece made for trade or the tourist market.

If you can pin down where your grandmother lived that could help you ID the basket. The piece of paper has Phoenix on it, and there was a famous (infamous) Indian Sanatorium there but it mostly served Mojave and other tribes I believe. Not sure if the parents were able to visit the kids since part of the plan was to isolate them from tuberculosis and other diseases. Some of the other that were more school than hospital that were on reservations were better.
 
Last edited:
i concur with what the China man said........that basket is from the 20th century.
 
There's a name on a Document I have but cannot show it because it's like sensitive but it belongs to the basket and I believe that name is Apache Indian but I don't know what it means. The name is "Nishuime" or it could be "Nishume with a accent above the U. Any Help is greatly appreciated !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom