What's new

ID help ... especially military buffs

tigerbeetle

Full Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2009
Messages
166
Reaction score
275
Golden Thread
0
Location
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug these two matching copper artifacts last week. Roughly 4.5 inches long; 2.5 inches wide, they could have fit together, though they were found sightly apart. Other finds that day ranged from a 1906 "Farmer's Permit" (copper) to a battered Spanish real, circa 1780s.
The site's date doesn't help much since it was a homestead that was functioning from 1778 to 1908 ... when it burnt down while still in use.
My obvious first inclination was they're military ... until I saw the two seeming dueling pistols in the eagle's talons. That gave me pause. We've all seen arrows, cannons, anchors, ropes, olive branches and even hunting horns in the talons. But dueling pistols? Hmmm.
I have not doubt the items are very old. I've hunted artifacts for 50 years now and know way-old when I dig it. But the nature of these (might they be quasi military, i.e. organizational, or even sportsman in nature?) has me a bit stumped.
What's more, there's the question of what were they used for ... or part of? I rule out epaulet. You'll see a single hole at the top of each ... where I would expect two holes, one on each side. The edges look like they're meant to bend around each other or another object.
While too small for a powder horn, might they have held flint ... when bent tightly together? There is no signs that solder held them together. Signs of solder tend to stay put over the years.
Last thought, might they be tack in nature? Part of a military-esque saddle.
 

Attachments

  • uzz1.webp
    uzz1.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 186
  • uzz3.webp
    uzz3.webp
    2.5 MB · Views: 140
  • uzz2.webp
    uzz2.webp
    805.4 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 20
Last edited:
Can't help to identify,but your pictured large cent is nice.
 
Thought powder at first, also, but seemed way too small to hold much ... then I see that miniaturized version for a kit. Looks promising. Thanx. Hey, wonder what Alexander Hamilton's dueling kit looked like, when militarily adorned for D.C.? Hey, Weehawken, New Jersey (site of Burr-Hamilton duel), is not that far off. ... I know, spoken like a true treasure hunter, right????
 
Nice copper and that's a great looking powder flask.
 
Pretty sure that's a primer horn. Smaller than the usual powder horn which carries the 2f or 3f main powder charge (cow or buffalo horn hollowed out for example). Primer horns carried smaller amounts of finer powder like 4f.
 
Now that is a really cool find. Congrats.
 
pistol powder flask for M1849 Colt revolver
 
Go back and find the "ring" / "mouth ring".
 
This flask was part of a Colt pistol set.
 
Very Nice finds of the powder flask. Well Done and Congrat's to you.
 
Thanks!!!! You folks are amazing!(((((.webp
 
Hunt the area again, maybe you will find the rest!
 
Congratulations on the fine relic! :occasion14:

I believe it is a powder flask.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom