If you don't stop digging in my yard i'm going to kick your Ass!

Doc Arey

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2011
Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what my Grand Mother told me Forty six years ago when I got my first whites metal detector and I was shocked because I had never heard her say anything like that before. I had just dug my first mercury dine in her yard and was really excited but that put the stops on that project.

Grand Ma was a sweetest Woman that ever lived but both she and the house are gone now and yesterday I went back with permission to search for the old yard and that spot at the old grape vine where I found that first Merc.

With the help of the land owner and my Whites VX 3 I got close enough to after an hour or so located the yard and go
Gram ma silver.jpg t back on that forty six year old memory. This was the result but just as I found the SLQ thru my heads phones I heard some one hollering at me as I rolled it in my hand. Grand Ma?? I thought? Na cant be and turn out to be a neighbor at a house next to the field to tell me where a dog was buried.

• I'm going to return but this was the best from the four hour hunt. Thanks for listening to my memories. :metaldetector: Gram ma silver.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 46

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story and finds. I am planning to go back to my old neighborhood where we and my Grandma lived this spring. I know as kids we lost quite a bit. My grandma used to have the milkman save any old coins for her and she got them when he delivered the milk to our door. Now that goes back. I bet most people on here don't remember home milk delivery.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Good post Doc. Do you happen to remember what model whites that was your first machine ? I had a Whites 66TR, purchased used in about 1976. It was circa ~3 or 4 yrs. old at the time. Did you happen to have the 66TR ?

Also: back in those days, what was the most silver you ever got in a single day ?

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story Doc, Maybe ask family members and go through photos of Grandma to see if she wore that ring. Now THAT would be beyond cool to find out. Sub 8-)

chatterbait

Dec 27, 2016
Gloucester co.NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story Doc, Maybe ask family members and go through photos of Grandma to see if she wore that ring. Now THAT would be beyond cool to find out. Sub 8-)
Genius!!!!!I hope it is.I found the three home sites my Great Grandmother lived.I will hit them this Spring.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good story Doc. Thanks for sharing. Cool that you got to go back and relive some memories.
Good finds! :occasion14:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc, Nice story with memories to put with your finds. Makes them that much more enjoyable to search for and find. Congrats:icon_thumright:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember catching an ear full when my grandmother came outside and saw that my friend Steve and I had a trench network that would have rivaled the Somme in 1917 for our GI Joes.... My grandfather had an old Radio Shack detector that he covered every inch of that yard with, but I often wonder how much is still there....

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story Doc, thank you for sharing! That old homestead probably has more family treasures waiting for you to find! :occasion14:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grandma was just upset you were using a whites lol. I know places upon places that hold all sorts of finds. But fear Im too old to travel there. Glad to hear your working it and finding it.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story. That had to be a little emotional going back to where it all started. Congrats on the finds

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and good finds! Must feel pretty nice going back to an old family homestead. I'm sure grandma was lookin down on ya...still yelling at you to quit diggin holes in her yard hahaha. Good stuff! HH

Sgt led

OP
OP
Doc Arey

Doc Arey

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2011
Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow if I remember the detector was a coin master?? Back then finding silver was much easer. I think the most I ever found was couple of dollars a day it was kinda like finding clad today it would depend on the spot. I know I have a safe full from over the years I have kept everything I ever found. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread