OP
OP
T

titan100

Nov 12, 2014
Norco, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alright I guess I set myself up for this. But a newbie looking for advice help please.

greylion

Nov 24, 2014
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
White's Electronics GMT Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go to the North East of DR Congo, approx 7.5km west of Moba, its a rebel friendly area but you are safe. They spray the gold rich sand walls with water hoses and the gold is running in small rivulets under their feet. They need 2 or 3 sluices, no joke!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you had just 1 day to run a recirculating sluice in So. Cal where would it be.
join a club in that area (like the ORange County 49ers) and go on an outing with them. That way you make new friends, find some gold and have fun!

OP
OP
T

titan100

Nov 12, 2014
Norco, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Kevin new to this I am a GPAA member just signed up recently just looking for info on good areas not someone's spot. I have looked in the claim guide for info I guess the best way is just go do it and learn. Still looking for the X marks the spot dig here. LOL

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Kevin new to this I am a GPAA member just signed up recently just looking for info on good areas not someone's spot. I have looked in the claim guide for info I guess the best way is just go do it and learn. Still looking for the X marks the spot dig here. LOL
Well, then join one or more local clubs and link up with some fellow GPAA members. I'm sure they will help you learn to prospect :)

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aww I thought this was a "if you could sluice anywhere for one day where would you go" threads.
Well if it were, mine would be Castlewood Canyon. The dam failed August of 1933, resulting in a 15 foot wall of water that made it all the way to downtown Denver, resulting in a flood (doy, right?).
Shortly thereafter it was named Castlewood Canyon State Park. I think they just shoot you if they catch you with a pan in hand... rofl But you can motorcycle and hike and rock climb there.
So many good spots there. Wish I could load up the sluices and call some buds to come out and dig that mother out.

800px-Castlewood_Dam_Remnants.jpg

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Castlewood. Is that not also West of Moba?

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Somewhere in a national monument. Why not just run a sluice at the East Fork?:dontknow: I'm sure there are some desert spots

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
To get back to your question , if I had only 1 day to prospect with todays fuel costs , it would have tobe close to home. Ive driven all over the Country towing my trailer / dredges and it costs a lot of money todo this. This is my challenege for myself this year. BUT ill still drive to Wyoming/Colorado atleast 1 more time.

OP
OP
T

titan100

Nov 12, 2014
Norco, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hear ya I already want to go back I am new to this but it looks good and all the stuff I have read about the area I know all of the gold can't be gone from the miles and miles of dirt out there. I need more buckets I don't want to get rid of the cons I have. Thanks everyone for the help. Hope to meet some people out tthere some day.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aww I thought this was a "if you could sluice anywhere for one day where would you go" threads.
Well if it were, mine would be Castlewood Canyon. The dam failed August of 1933, resulting in a 15 foot wall of water that made it all the way to downtown Denver, resulting in a flood (doy, right?).
Shortly thereafter it was named Castlewood Canyon State Park. I think they just shoot you if they catch you with a pan in hand... rofl But you can motorcycle and hike and rock climb there.
So many good spots there. Wish I could load up the sluices and call some buds to come out and dig that mother out.

View attachment 1083854

When you find a way to sluice it, let me know! I will come up Hwy 83 just as fast as I can to help out! I have looked at that for some time but not figured out how to get a pan in there (legally), let alone a sluice.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you had just 1 day to run a recirculating sluice in So. Cal where would it be.

Don't believe I would even run a recirculating sluice in So. Cal. If you're
working near flowing water I'd use a sluice, or dry material you can
use a drywasher...but a recirculating sluice would be running a pile of mud
in short order unless you carried in a huge load of water.

The dirt there is just too dirty to run in a recirculating system, IMO.
If you have to, go dig your material and classify it, then bring it
to a creek/river on the way home and feed it to a sluice there. Be
sure to get the material very wet before feeding to the sluice.

OP
OP
T

titan100

Nov 12, 2014
Norco, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the tip Mike. The material we ran was classified to 1/2" then sluiced our water muddied quickly changed it after 6 or so buckets of material. Very very fine silt or powder dirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread