If you HAD to choose one...

Heavy32

Aug 10, 2010
SETX
Detector(s) used
excalibur II, x-terra 30
Been using the X-terra 30 now for 3-4 years, and while still making finds... I know I need to upgrade! This week I have it narrowed down to the final 2. Well.. maybe.. :icon_scratch: The MXT Pro or the Sov Gt. I know they are both sold detectors and yet have their defferences, multi freq vs single, VID and not, the Sov is better at the beach... and on and on... But is one that much better at finding silver and the other at gold, one a better coin hunter..? Or are they so equal that it just comes down to the individual..? I live in SE Tx and hunt mostly inland for coins, jewelry and anything cool, could make it to the beach in an hour and half or so, but with the ol ML 30 its not really worth the trip. I know these 2 may have been debated before but I would sure appreciate any further opinions..:notworthy: "Keep your coil low"

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi neighbor, I'm in SE Tx too. I'd suggest you throw the Garrett At Pro into the mix. Works great In Texas soil, capable on the beach and sensitive to Jewelry.

The Sovereign GT is discontinued, you might still find a few new ones in dealer hands.

We have a storefront in Spring TX if you want to come by and check out multiple detectors.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
Heavy32

Heavy32

Aug 10, 2010
SETX
Detector(s) used
excalibur II, x-terra 30
Yeah I thought about the 705 Longhair, but was wanting to try something that had a lil more analog sound.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then I'd keep an eye open for a deal on a used DFX. An MXT would be third on my list in that price range.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to keep in mind if you are leaning towards an MXT or an Etrac is the weight difference between those and the Xterra. It's about a pound and a half, which is quite a bit of additional weight. The Garrett AT pro is still heavier, but not by too much.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I know the E-Trac has me thinking a Swingy Thingy....

It sure doesn't feel cheap!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It basically comes down to if you think a screen is a gotta have feature. Both would be fine in dirt with the Sov Gt being deeper and having more options. The Sov GT is still the king of the beach detectors in the dry or WET sand. The Minelab can respond to a gold ring under a railroad spike unlike any none Minelab. True the Sov GT has been discontinued, but it will be a long time before Minelab stops servicing them if you ever need service that is. My Sov Gt has the Sunray S-1 inline probe and it is excellent in dirt or sand.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's tdi pulse will smoke them all....I would stick to white's.....they don't fool around...happy hunt-en..

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's tdi pulse will smoke them all....I would stick to white's.....they don't fool around...happy hunt-en..
Since he said he was hunting inland for coins mostly, I think a PI would be a poor choice.
Now if he was primarily on the beach,.........

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the GT is a great detector (I have one), It would be my last choice before a PI machine to jewelry hunt the turf.
Its heavy and slow. Coin hunting (especially deep), it would be high on the list...but then there's that "heavy" word again.
It makes my back ache after about an hour and a half. Same as my TDI....heavy. They are both collecting dust since I got the XP Deus.
Its not as deep a seeker as those detectors, but its more versitile and has paid for itself in finds and pain free detecting.
Just make sure you care to swing a heavy detector before you invest in one.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a vaquero or a mxt for me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread