What's new

Im running extremeley low on black powder

lumbercamp

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2006
Messages
948
Reaction score
33
Golden Thread
0
I'm running extremeley low on black powder

I've been shooting a stainless steel cannon since 1976 with 4f black powder. I'm running very low on powder and no one is open before the 4th. to buy some more. I have some smokeless powder, but am very, very, very cautious about using it in the cannon. The cannon is 11" long, 1" bore, and 1/4" side wall. I use just under 1/4 cup of 4f black powder. How safe would it be to use smokeless powder and in what quantity?
About 10 years ago, someone was killed here, stuffing a pipe bomb with smokeless powder, but it was a pipe, not a thick walled cannon.
 
Re: I'm running extremeley low on black powder

Please do NOT try it . Potentially lethal to you and all present .
 
Re: I'm running extremeley low on black powder

truckinbutch said:
Please do NOT try it . Potentially lethal to you and all present .
Smokeless Powder a BIG NO NO! :nono:
 
Re: I'm running extremeley low on black powder

do you have any other bp use half that and a big wad of tp packed real tight
 
Re: I'm running extremeley low on black powder

man. it would be a good idea to just skip blowing the cannon off this year if you don't have the right power... it's not worth getting hurt over. get more powder and save it for new years. :headbang:
 
Re: I'm running extremeley low on black powder

Do not use smokeless powder!!! It makes way to much pressure lots faster.
 
Re: I'm running extremeley low on black powder

Might consider getting a carbide cannon...uses carbide and water...

Same noise level but much safer...

Also wouldn't need to store black powder that could prove to be unstable or mistakenly ignited...
 

Attachments

  • CANNON.webp
    CANNON.webp
    3.7 KB · Views: 297
Re: I'm running extremeley low on black powder

FFFF powder seems pretty fine stuff for your application.

Thats mainly for cap and ball small caliber pistol.

.50 cal rifles/muskets take FFF

Cannons take F and FF

Definately a big no on smokeless. You might find a comparable Pyrodex.... but I'd sure find a mentor when looking for a substitute.
 
Re: I'm running extremeley low on black powder

As others have said, smokeless powder has a much higher cup pressure than black. Using it in a muzzleloader will very likely result in a catastrophic failure of the breech of your cannon. NEVER TRY IT!! There's a reason they are marked "black powder only"

I use Hodgdon Pyrodex FFFG in my guns, it's not as corrosive as regular black powder and it's fairly inexpensive. I haven't had to buy any in a while, but last time I did was at Bass Pro, and I think I paid around 15 bucks for a 16 ounce jar.
 
Re: I'm running extremeley low on black powder

stefen said:
Might consider getting a carbide cannon...uses carbide and water...

Same noise level but much safer...

Also wouldn't need to store black powder that could prove to be unstable or mistakenly ignited...
We used to use carbide and water in homemade cannons made out of tin cans when we were kids. :thumbsup: Definite noisemaker!
 
Re: I'm running extremeley low on black powder

After fretting about not having enough powder, I only shot my cannon once in the evening on July 4. No one else was making noise. Years ago the 4th was very noisy. Seems like all the noise was made by people in town and myself on Sat. the night of the local fireworks show. That's when I ran low on powder.
I was wrong in the wall thickness. It is 1/2" thick and the powder chamber is 3/4".
That is an interesting site you posted, Woodland Detectors.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1137.webp
    DSCF1137.webp
    44.8 KB · Views: 516
Re: I'm running extremeley low on black powder

I've used that goex powder before, it's pretty corrosive. make sure your chamber and barrel get a good cleaning
 
Re: I'm running extremeley low on black powder

NOLA_Ken said:
I've used that goex powder before, it's pretty corrosive. make sure your chamber and barrel get a good cleaning

Always clean your bore.
 
Re: I'm running extremeley low on black powder

My black powder guns get regular cleaning whether they need it or not, the humidity here in Louisiana is terrible for a gun. I make sure to wipe them down and give them a good oiling every so often just to make sure everything is ok.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom