International order of Vikings!?!,I.O.V. TOKEN

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody!!!...I just picked up a few really cool(to me at least!)tokens!,i go see a local coin dealer every sat.or sun.to look at his"fun book" as he puts it.i got this square good for token&was stumped buy the lettering,i figured it was a fraternal group as the #65 usually denotes a lodge.my token book(s) did not list the abbreviations as it does others,such as:B.P.O.E,K.G.E.,K.O.T.M.,ETC. So i searched the word/letters,INGJALD and up came a organization "International order of Vikings" lodge #65,etc.Ingjald is a swedish,noresmen King.I have emailed the group asking for an era that this token was used,it looks like the ones used in the 1920's-30's,maybe earlier or later! anybody here know?Along with this token i got this other one(i bought 4 from him)that has me a little confused(easily done!!!),it is from a town close to me,Union City,PA. what has me stumped is the word"NICKLE" on reverse"good for nickle in trade" not the normal 5 cents(numerical),the token itself appears to be made of nickle.i have not searched C.W.Clayton yet to see what his business was,it could have been a platting shop,foundry,whatever...it's just the wording at this point that has me confused,anybody here ever see a token that reads nickle opposed to the normal 5 cents(good for)? any help will be greatly appreciated!!! :thumbsup:,thank's&HH ALL!!!

Attachments

• Picture 1234.jpg
    Picture 1234.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 226
  • Picture 1235.jpg
    Picture 1235.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Picture 1232.jpg
    Picture 1232.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 218
  • Picture 1233.jpg
    Picture 1233.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 214

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Aqua's PA Token book shows the Clayton one as R-5 or 9-20 known in 2000.

I have always thought that since tokens were often used for gambling which was sometimes frowned upon by the local law enforcement, that some businesses chose to omit the denomination or put something like "nickel" on the 5¢ piece. Since technically, saying 5¢ would give it a denomination and "nickel" would only imply a denomination, they might think they could talk the sheriff out of an arrest if the place was raided.

John in ID

OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tokensmith said:
G.W. Clayton is listed in the 1918 Dun as billiards & cigars in Union City, PA. The NICKEL denomination is considerably scarcer than the more normal 5¢ but there are quite a few known. Here are the ones from my collection:

http://tokencatalog.com/display_rec...el&SearchStringAnyWord=&action=DisplayRecords
Love the heart shape ones :thumbsup:,I didn't even get to use my Erie County Directory's!!!,but thats why i put them on TN first...Because of the knowledge :icon_study:!!!,Thank's,greatly appreciated.HH!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread