What's new

introduction and question for hunting halves

pennyante

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hello all. I have just singed up on the board. I've read through quite a few of the old posts and I can't believe what you guys are finding! I am interested in searching halves. How many boxes do you search a week? I have a good relationship at one bank but apparently they have been a dump bank for another halve hunter. So far I have got about twenty rolls from them and they have all been marked on the outside with various things. They have all been Kennedy halves and all have been 1971 and newer so that has been a bummer. I am pulling the bicentennials though just on a whim. Looks like they occasionally sell for a buck apiece on EBay but I am thinking of hanging on to them just in case. Should I? My real quesiton though is should I keep working this bank until I exhaust their vault of halves? More than likely they will all have been already searched but the tellers are exceptionally nice there. I figure if I take something they don't really want and don't bring them back they should be more than happy to order me more and those will hopefully give up some silver. Is that a reasonable approach? Do I order halves by name? And a particularly dumb question...What are the name choices? Also, I live near a casino and am thinking of going there are working their slot machines. I've never used a slot machine in my life so I need some basic info. I read in one post where someone would just put in a $20 bill and cash out immediately. So slot machines have bill readers and there is a button or something you can push to cash out without actually gambling? Thanks for all the help in advance!
 
Upvote 0
Hey PA and welcome.

On the bicentennial halves one word, worthless, even if they appear to be in mint condition. I believe they produced more of that year than any other. Rarity is the key, only unless you get the s mint mark and even than they are fairly common.

Buy a red book Coin price guide. Or visit PCGS web site for up to date price guidance and continue to check eBay to get a better feel for value, but you need to look at auctions that have less than an hour left as most serious buyers wait till the last Minuit to bid .
The RED BOOK gives you mint figures. you know how many were produced for each year and mint. I think this is a must have. also check a book store for the magazine rack and purchase a current price guide magazine these are also helpfull. You may never get what you see in those sources as far as value goes from a coin dealer.

Next when dealing with large amounts of coin it is essential to find a dump site. (a bank that will accept coins your returning on a regular basis). Preferably a bank with a coin counter.

Most coin hunters can get pretty upset with the number of newbies to the (uh humm) HOBBY invading their territory. A tenderfoot can stir up issues at banks where others are already doing business. Be pleasent and courteous to all tellers you come in contact with. Karma rules. "You can attract more bee's with honey"

Fees and limits have been a topic of much recent discussion here lately as there has been an influx of newcomers to the (uh humm) "HOBBY"

This should get you started. As far as the balance of halves left at your bank you might have to bite the bullet and buy em up after you establish your dump site. If this is to become your buy site.

If you hunt southeastern Michigan forget everything I just said....LOL.... just kidding.

Welcome! Prepare to be excited, frustrated, exhausted, spend a lot of time doing it, oh and the "ADDICTION" is very strong.

I could go on and on but I think I may have scratched the surface here for you. Tons to learn and it will take time to get a better feel for it.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting CRH Mojo
 
Thanks for the reply Mojo. You're in southeastern Michigan TOO? lol. Just joking :D I learned a long long time ago about honey and the like so no worries there. There is an etiquette in everything and I've read enough of the past posts on this site and others to have figured out the do's and don'ts of CRH. I try to spend as many of the halves as possible when they aren't retainers. Kinda makes paying inflated prices on gas, groceries, etc serve at least one positive purpose. But, I have a dump bank with a counter as well. I am, of course, very pleasant with my pickup bank(s). I realize that one ruffled hair could pull the plug on the supply. I just hope I can participate a bit in the game before it goes down for everyone. BTW...the casino option bit the dust. They didn't have coin machines. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to me.
 
I've been using a couple Indian casinos in Calif. for my dumps and it has worked out great until this weekend. I went to Win River Casino in Redding, Calif. and they had a $500 limit and they charged 10%!!!!!!! to cash in change. How GREEDY can a place be? I guess the State should charge them a little more of their take. Each member of that tribe in the Redding Rancheria makes thousands a month. They asked the voters to vote for the gambling so they could become self-supportive but, since they have been operating, they have quit giving away all the cars and the machines don't pay off nearly as well as they used to. You may want to try your local casino for dumping but I'd ask what the deal is before I carry a heavy bag all the way to the cashier. :D
 
Hi PA welcome to the asylum :wink:

pennyante said:
So far I have got about twenty rolls from them and they have all been marked on the outside with various things. They have all been Kennedy halves and all have been 1971 and newer so that has been a bummer.
You don't live in the Denver area do you? One of our esteemed members likes to play some mind games ;D on new CRHers. (To throw them off the scent.)

Bicentennial halves were actually produced for longer than one year, if I remember correctly. They are worth exactly 50¢

Your idea about slot machines is accurate but you need to find machines that spit out coins. Very hard to find out here.

When asking for halves that is the word i use, but i also have one on my keychain and always show it to the teller. Many have no idea what I mean until I show them one. Sometimes they borrow my keys and walk to the other tellers to show them and buy their halves. ;D
 
Nope. I'm not in Denver. I read a couple of posts about subversive tactics. That's a shame. Oh well, what goes around comes around. Anyway, I am just beginning to test the waters and so far it looks like it will be a lot of fun. I appreciate all of the welcomes. As to the casino option, for me it turned out to be a bust. They don't have coin machines so I doubt I could even use them as a dumping place. So far though my CU has been more than cooperative and they have a coin counter. I've already dumped the bicentennials by the way :) Just learning as I go.
 
pennyante said:
Nope. I'm not in Denver. I read a couple of posts about subversive tactics. That's a shame. Oh well, what goes around comes around. Anyway, I am just beginning to test the waters and so far it looks like it will be a lot of fun. I appreciate all of the welcomes. As to the casino option, for me it turned out to be a bust. They don't have coin machines so I doubt I could even use them as a dumping place. So far though my CU has been more than cooperative and they have a coin counter. I've already dumped the bicentennials by the way :) Just learning as I go.

Even though the casino does not have coin machines I bet they will take your dumps. I would try with a couple hundred dollars worth. I don't know off many casinos that make it hard on you to gamble.

HH
65GT350
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom