What's new

Is anyone good at deciphering Old English script?

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
4,715
Reaction score
6,221
Golden Thread
6
Location
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
On Saturday we were digging in our 17th century pit where the early bottles came from, and my friend Stan recovered this interesting artifact. It's made of thick brass, and appears to be some kind of personal piece, but we're having a hard time deciphering the lettering. To me it looks like the first letter might be a C, the middle letter possibly an N, and maybe an O on the right. There's also a large block B on the other side. We have a good history of the many people that were associated with this site, so hopefully we can match this token up with one of them.

IMG_2667.webp

IMG_2670.webp
 
C N O or C N Q?

You didn't specify so I assume you know these are NOT buttons...

intertwined.webp
 
Upvote 0
I agree that the first two letters appear to be "C" and "N" but am not sure of the third or last letter. It appears to be more of a cursive "A" than an "O" or "Q".
 
Upvote 0
Is it a jetton from across the pond? Maybe our friends from England could advise...very cool find. Sub 8-)
 
Upvote 0
To me it just looks like an old style CA, and the rest looks like letter decor.

IMG_2667.webp

sorry for the weak photoshop skills on this one, but in a hurry, lol I suppose it could be CNA as well, but it looks more like a fancy CA to me

IMG_2667 (1).webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see 4 letters. The C and the A, then I see an H superimposed over an N in the middle. Back photo please.
 
Upvote 0
I think its says ATPro :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Um... helps if you have it in the right direction.

IF at first you don't succeed... try again.
 
Upvote 0
I will throw a bone to ya though...

When reading old world English scripts like this...

Always make sure the trails of the letter are on the left side of what you are reading.

Now deduce.

PS>.. This one is a weird one... almost like its a "repurpose"... like they added the other letters OVER existing... and not a good script work... like crammed in.
 
Upvote 0
C N O or C N Q?

You didn't specify so I assume you know these are NOT buttons...

View attachment 1570082

Matt - I mentioned in my post that I thought it might be a personal piece or maybe some kind of token. It's obviously not a button.
 
Upvote 0
COME ON BILL DANG AINT YOU FOUND ENOUGH. NICE FIND
 
Upvote 0
I didn't read the first post thoroughly. I see now that is a front and back pic of the same item.
 
Upvote 0
I'm leaning towards it being a weight of some sort. How much does it weigh?
 
Upvote 0
I'm leaning towards it being a weight of some sort. How much does it weigh?

I'll see if my friend can weigh it, and I'll respond when I hear back. Thanks for your input.
 
Upvote 0
The letters are CHA BUT it's not black letter script (old English text)

SS
 
Upvote 0
I agree that the "A" does not look like early script, but this piece was found at the very bottom of the pit along with the late 17th century bottles and other period artifacts. Nothing newer than the early 1700s was found in this spot.
 
Upvote 0
Matt - I mentioned in my post that I thought it might be a personal piece or maybe some kind of token. It's obviously not a button.

Oops! I didn't read the original post closely enough! I see it is not a button...

Just guessing, but maybe a communion token? Any local parish or church starting with the letter B?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom