Is it legal to prospect or not?

Apr 1, 2020
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have various maps and locations I would like to prospect for gold at, particularly Randsburg, Kern county, San Bernardino county, and a various other places in social. At first I was pretty excited because I had all these new locations that look very promising. But when I go to databases that have all the current claims it seems as though there's barely any land that is public to prospecting without having a claim. Is that true or am I just interpreting the locations of the claims wrong. also I'm most likely going to join a club that has various claims in SoCal so does anyone recommend any in particular?

Upvote 1

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I personally think that initially joining a club to learn the ropes is a good idea ! Learning the ins/outs , pros and cons of acquiring a claim for yourself should be the end game. They aren't making anymore land and what's out there is being snapped up by people (wacoenviromentalistterriorist's) that don't want you prospecting . Chose wisely on the club !

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have various maps and locations I would like to prospect for gold at, particularly Randsburg, Kern county, San Bernardino county, and a various other places in social. At first I was pretty excited because I had all these new locations that look very promising. But when I go to databases that have all the current claims it seems as though there's barely any land that is public to prospecting without having a claim. Is that true or am I just interpreting the locations of the claims wrong. also I'm most likely going to join a club that has various claims in SoCal so does anyone recommend any in particular?
Hi JAMD, I have a claim on the West fork of the Mojave River up around Silverwood Lake, just west of our claim is wide open with lots of places to prospect. Only problem is the River dries up around mid June so only options are "Dry washing or metal detecting. The River usually starts flowing good around November - December if we get rain and a little snow. Good luck.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All of the online tools will show you which quarter section a claim is (probably) in. However a claim is 20 acres and a quarter section is 160! So if you are interested in an area, get copies of the actual claim maps to see what’s still open to prospecting and even claiming. Maps are available at the state BLM office or the local county clerk/recorder office. Good luck and “find your gold!”

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread