Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out today with Ironhorse, didn't think I would be as my Explorer has major issues and will have to hit the repair center. I decided I was done, but as the week went on I decided not to quit and borrow back a Garrett Ace I bought for a friend to use. So not only was this a kind or strange and lucky day, it almost never happened! Interestingly enough, the other 17mm version of this button find I currently have was also dug on a day I probably shouldn't have been out, but plans changed, I got the call, and out the door I went. That coincidence just hit me as I'm writing, but it's actually another connection I'll choose to write about, since I already filled in the subject line. :laughing7:

So IH and I get to a new field to try, him as usual with the Explorer, and me with my Ace. In a stupid way I was almost thinking I hope this is not the day we find a great site feeling that I was heavily outgunned, but those thoughts never stick because I would much rather see good stuff come out regardless of who gets it, then both of us go home with nothing. So we walk around this large field not getting much but some modern trash and the occasional old sign. I then see IH making his way to the other end, so I start to head that way and about half way there I get the famous Garrett belltone, like in the old days when I first started hunting.... dug it up and it was my first Merc dime. 13 years and it took an Ace 250 for me to find it, and at a place there didn't seem like there was much else. We did walk to the end of the field, got nothing, then made our way back towards the car and I dug two more signals and both were large cents! I'm thinking this 250 might not be so bad after all. :laughing7: Still not enough, and not old enough for our taste so we decided to hit an old favorite site and see if there was a keeper or two left. By this time, after 3 coins in a row my confidence was booming and just had that feeling I was going to dig something good.... but even with that feeling I didn't believe it because this particular spot has been hit hard for near 10 years. Anyway, we get to the 2nd site,make our way across the field, I start swinging over the iron patch and am sort of trying to digest what the detector is telling me, and within a few minutes dug a bell tone and the sound vanished once I got the dirt out, and my thinking was.... here we go, digging iron all day with this thing. As I was kicking the dirt back in the hole the detector swung back around and detected another target, this time it wasn't a belltone so I was more confident, dug the dirt and had a sudden flashback to 2001!

In 2001 I dug the best button I have ever found. It was a coat size Rev War King's American Regiment button with near all the gilt. I sent pics to a major collector who's reply was... The Detecting Gods have smiled upon you. Today when I found this button which is cuff size (17mm) seeing the gold gilt and then reading the words gave me a total flashback to 2001. So... it only makes sense that Mercury must be the Detecting God that collector talked about all those years ago. :laughing7: If you've read this far, and have read some of my previous posts you've probably seen me say a couple of times that it seems like history is repeating itself, or I am detecting back to the future. Well yet here is another hunt that has that same weird vibe, and makes me feel after my 2 years away from the hobby it was the right time to come back.

And without further ado.... Here is that awesome 1926 Merc dime! ;) But the button probably pays for the detector about 4 or 5 times over... not bad for the first day!

http://www.royalprovincial.com/military/rhist/kar/karlist.htm

Attachments

• merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 936
  • kingcuff.jpg
    kingcuff.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 890
  • king1.jpg
    king1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 818
  • Loyalist Corps_htm_m32673cc1.png
    Loyalist Corps_htm_m32673cc1.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
Upvote 49

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! congrats IP on a super find and getting the Banner nodd. It's one stunning find for sure.
I thought at first that you must have a stash of mercs someone hid away, and if an Ace 250 can find bottle tops like that all day long I think I better talk to Rick about one soon.:thumbsup:
ZDD

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Banner IP, glad this one did not slip under the radar, like the last mega find you had :icon_thumleft:

SS

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMGoodness what a rare and gorgeous button! Congratulations on finding it and making the BANNER! Excellent!! :icon_thumleft:

:)
Breezie

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
big congrats on the banner - incredible find !

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you guys are on it this fall! I've never had trouble finding the targets with my F5, so it's not surprising you'd find the goodies with the Ace, just gotta be over top of them!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you guys are on it this fall! I've never had trouble finding the targets with my F5, so it's not surprising you'd find the goodies with the Ace, just gotta be over top of them!

Is F5 code for pirate eye?

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not bad for a scumbag. Owned, Suuucka! Kyle and I are getting out for a hunt this Sunday.

Kirk

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't give you any compliments that haven't been given already. Being a noob, my compliments don't have the same weight as those of your friends and the people who are no longer novices. BUT, I am going to say this anyway: that is one stupendous find! A well deserved banner in my weak little opinion.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was about to post my 1812-1820's Eagle Cockade button I found today, but I think now I'll wait till tomorrow. I don't even want to start a thread that will steal one viewer from this!
Post it up there Oxbowe I would love to see it.
ZDD

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 250....Great machine! Beautiful button

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch - Congrats on a terrific find. You need to post a picture of the reunited twins together again.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds and a great story as well!!!

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
That look's great on the banner... Congrats.... I know both buttons are extremely rare, but you would think a cuff button is a bit more rare, because they need less cuff size......Awesome recovery

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That look's great on the banner... Congrats.... I know both buttons are extremely rare, but you would think a cuff button is a bit more rare, because they need less cuff size......Awesome recovery

That's no doubt the case, and for this particular regiment's buttons that means a little more because if you look at my picture you'll see the coat and cuff are different, not just by size, the cuff abbreviates the word regiment. I don't know of two any better than my two that exist, and I probably dug the best coat too, but it's not in the picture. What's in my hand is probably about the amount that was known to exist when I dug my first. I was told a handful, and I don't think it was meant literally. :) (so a few)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread