What's new

🥇 BANNER After 25 years my first gold coin

Iron Patch

Platinum Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
19,276
Reaction score
8,953
Golden Thread
3
Location
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't posted much on here recently but had a bit of a surprise on Saturday. Ironhorse and I were out here in Atlantic Canada and shortly into a walk from one site to another to the next field I got a signal, dug it up and even though I could only see small portions of the coin through the dirt, it was unmistakably gold. At that moment my brain sort of went to mush and I think I had picked it up, but for some reason put it back in the dirt and called IH over for the reveal. The picture was taken at a good angle and it's not completely issue free, however it did escape any major damage and I consider myself extremely lucky as it is a farm field coin. The wild thing is how there was a way better chance neither of us found it because we were just walking in a straight line to the next site... I just happened to take the exact path to put myself over it. Given how many sites I've hunted and how many coins I've dug over so many years, I was quite willing to take any gold coin in any condition and call it a major success. This one far surpassed my expectations.

It's a 1778 British Guinea. 8.3g (22k)
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail_20251129_181246.webp
    thumbnail_20251129_181246.webp
    360.7 KB · Views: 635
  • thumbnail_20251129_181303.webp
    thumbnail_20251129_181303.webp
    307.8 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
I haven't posted much on here recently but had a bit of a surprise on Saturday. Ironhorse and I were out here in Atlantic Canada and shortly into a walk from one site to another to the next field I got a signal, dug it up and even though I could only see small portions of the coin through the dirt, it was unmistakably gold. At that moment my brain sort of went to mush and I think I had picked it up, but for some reason put it back in the dirt and called IH over for the reveal. The picture was taken at a good angle and it's not completely issue free, however it did escape any major damage and I consider myself extremely lucky as it is a farm field coin. The wild thing is how there was a way better chance neither of us found it because we were just walking in a straight line to the next site... I just happened to take the exact path to put myself over it. Given how many sites I've hunted and how many coins I've dug over so many years, I was quite willing to take any gold coin in any condition and call it a major success. This one far surpassed my expectations.

It's a 1778 British Guinea. 8.3g (22k)
Nice job Ione Patch, looks close to mint state!
 
That's an amazing find! Definitely a worthy banner.
 
Very cool find, big congrats. :occasion14:
I've never had a 'full' Guinea but Cru'dad had a 1777 one before whilst on a camping trip!
 
That must have been such a rush! And, what a great looking coin to boot.

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny
 
I haven't posted much on here recently but had a bit of a surprise on Saturday. Ironhorse and I were out here in Atlantic Canada and shortly into a walk from one site to another to the next field I got a signal, dug it up and even though I could only see small portions of the coin through the dirt, it was unmistakably gold. At that moment my brain sort of went to mush and I think I had picked it up, but for some reason put it back in the dirt and called IH over for the reveal. The picture was taken at a good angle and it's not completely issue free, however it did escape any major damage and I consider myself extremely lucky as it is a farm field coin. The wild thing is how there was a way better chance neither of us found it because we were just walking in a straight line to the next site... I just happened to take the exact path to put myself over it. Given how many sites I've hunted and how many coins I've dug over so many years, I was quite willing to take any gold coin in any condition and call it a major success. This one far surpassed my expectations.

It's a 1778 British Guinea. 8.3g (22k)
Welp,,, WOW is all i can say!
 
I haven't posted much on here recently but had a bit of a surprise on Saturday. Ironhorse and I were out here in Atlantic Canada and shortly into a walk from one site to another to the next field I got a signal, dug it up and even though I could only see small portions of the coin through the dirt, it was unmistakably gold. At that moment my brain sort of went to mush and I think I had picked it up, but for some reason put it back in the dirt and called IH over for the reveal. The picture was taken at a good angle and it's not completely issue free, however it did escape any major damage and I consider myself extremely lucky as it is a farm field coin. The wild thing is how there was a way better chance neither of us found it because we were just walking in a straight line to the next site... I just happened to take the exact path to put myself over it. Given how many sites I've hunted and how many coins I've dug over so many years, I was quite willing to take any gold coin in any condition and call it a major success. This one far surpassed my expectations.

It's a 1778 British Guinea. 8.3g (22k)
Yep, that’s a gold Guinea. Well done!
 
Those didn’t just fall out of peoples pockets. I’m sure your taking a very hard look, but consider that the field could have been dragged and the coin moved some distance without a scratch.
Agree. The only other Guineas I’ve seen in our area were from shipwrecks. Passengers that carried all of their possessions or as cargo (treasure chest).
 
Congrats on that beautiful banner gold coin !! Incredible 🫡
 
Nice find, congratulations!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom