What's new

🥇 BANNER After 25 years my first gold coin

Iron Patch

Platinum Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
19,276
Reaction score
8,953
Golden Thread
3
Location
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't posted much on here recently but had a bit of a surprise on Saturday. Ironhorse and I were out here in Atlantic Canada and shortly into a walk from one site to another to the next field I got a signal, dug it up and even though I could only see small portions of the coin through the dirt, it was unmistakably gold. At that moment my brain sort of went to mush and I think I had picked it up, but for some reason put it back in the dirt and called IH over for the reveal. The picture was taken at a good angle and it's not completely issue free, however it did escape any major damage and I consider myself extremely lucky as it is a farm field coin. The wild thing is how there was a way better chance neither of us found it because we were just walking in a straight line to the next site... I just happened to take the exact path to put myself over it. Given how many sites I've hunted and how many coins I've dug over so many years, I was quite willing to take any gold coin in any condition and call it a major success. This one far surpassed my expectations.

It's a 1778 British Guinea. 8.3g (22k)
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail_20251129_181246.webp
    thumbnail_20251129_181246.webp
    360.7 KB · Views: 632
  • thumbnail_20251129_181303.webp
    thumbnail_20251129_181303.webp
    307.8 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
I haven't posted much on here recently but had a bit of a surprise on Saturday. Ironhorse and I were out here in Atlantic Canada and shortly into a walk from one site to another to the next field I got a signal, dug it up and even though I could only see small portions of the coin through the dirt, it was unmistakably gold. At that moment my brain sort of went to mush and I think I had picked it up, but for some reason put it back in the dirt and called IH over for the reveal. The picture was taken at a good angle and it's not completely issue free, however it did escape any major damage and I consider myself extremely lucky as it is a farm field coin. The wild thing is how there was a way better chance neither of us found it because we were just walking in a straight line to the next site... I just happened to take the exact path to put myself over it. Given how many sites I've hunted and how many coins I've dug over so many years, I was quite willing to take any gold coin in any condition and call it a major success. This one far surpassed my expectations.

It's a 1778 British Guinea. 8.3g (22k)
Wow!
 
Congratulations on a marvelous find. That is a banner find in anyone’s book. Right place, right time happens for a lot of the best finds. I have been detecting for 23 years and I’m still looking for my first gold coin. Maybe I just need to keep at it for 2 more years to get to 25 like you LOL.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin. Gold coin number 2 may be right around the corner.
 
Those didn’t just fall out of peoples pockets. I’m sure your taking a very hard look, but consider that the field could have been dragged and the coin moved some distance without a scratch.
 
I haven't posted much on here recently but had a bit of a surprise on Saturday. Ironhorse and I were out here in Atlantic Canada and shortly into a walk from one site to another to the next field I got a signal, dug it up and even though I could only see small portions of the coin through the dirt, it was unmistakably gold. At that moment my brain sort of went to mush and I think I had picked it up, but for some reason put it back in the dirt and called IH over for the reveal. The picture was taken at a good angle and it's not completely issue free, however it did escape any major damage and I consider myself extremely lucky as it is a farm field coin. The wild thing is how there was a way better chance neither of us found it because we were just walking in a straight line to the next site... I just happened to take the exact path to put myself over it. Given how many sites I've hunted and how many coins I've dug over so many years, I was quite willing to take any gold coin in any condition and call it a major success. This one far surpassed my expectations.

It's a 1778 British Guinea. 8.3g (22k)
Congratulations 👏🏻 🎉
 
When I was a kid if a nickel dropped out of my pocket I would be on my hands and knees until the sun went down... I will never understand where gold coins in the dirt come from, but there sure do seem to be a lot!
 
What an awesome find! After so many years of detecting and thousands hours invested in the hobby you certainly had a good chance to finally find your gold coin. But to find a full 18th century guinea is just mind blowing! I hope people reading your post do realize how rare of the find it is this side of the Atlantic. Big congratulations and without any doubts this coin deserves to be a banner.
 
I haven't posted much on here recently but had a bit of a surprise on Saturday. Ironhorse and I were out here in Atlantic Canada and shortly into a walk from one site to another to the next field I got a signal, dug it up and even though I could only see small portions of the coin through the dirt, it was unmistakably gold. At that moment my brain sort of went to mush and I think I had picked it up, but for some reason put it back in the dirt and called IH over for the reveal. The picture was taken at a good angle and it's not completely issue free, however it did escape any major damage and I consider myself extremely lucky as it is a farm field coin. The wild thing is how there was a way better chance neither of us found it because we were just walking in a straight line to the next site... I just happened to take the exact path to put myself over it. Given how many sites I've hunted and how many coins I've dug over so many years, I was quite willing to take any gold coin in any condition and call it a major success. This one far surpassed my expectations.

It's a 1778 British Guinea. 8.3g (22k)
TOP find sir ! I also vote Banner!!! Congrats
 
What an amazing find, IP. For someone who has detected for as long as you have and contributed so significantly to this forum, this spectacular bucket lister coin is very well deserved. The TNET community congratulates you!
 
I think I did the same thing, my one and only gold coin, when I could see the gold in ground, I picked it up, then put it back and called my friend over, it was all kind of not real? Only took 30+ years to find it. My SINCERE congratulations iron patch, it's a beauty.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom