What's new

🥇 BANNER After 25 years my first gold coin

Iron Patch

Platinum Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
19,276
Reaction score
8,953
Golden Thread
3
Location
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't posted much on here recently but had a bit of a surprise on Saturday. Ironhorse and I were out here in Atlantic Canada and shortly into a walk from one site to another to the next field I got a signal, dug it up and even though I could only see small portions of the coin through the dirt, it was unmistakably gold. At that moment my brain sort of went to mush and I think I had picked it up, but for some reason put it back in the dirt and called IH over for the reveal. The picture was taken at a good angle and it's not completely issue free, however it did escape any major damage and I consider myself extremely lucky as it is a farm field coin. The wild thing is how there was a way better chance neither of us found it because we were just walking in a straight line to the next site... I just happened to take the exact path to put myself over it. Given how many sites I've hunted and how many coins I've dug over so many years, I was quite willing to take any gold coin in any condition and call it a major success. This one far surpassed my expectations.

It's a 1778 British Guinea. 8.3g (22k)
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail_20251129_181246.webp
    thumbnail_20251129_181246.webp
    360.7 KB · Views: 630
  • thumbnail_20251129_181303.webp
    thumbnail_20251129_181303.webp
    307.8 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
I haven't posted much on here recently but had a bit of a surprise on Saturday. Ironhorse and I were out here in Atlantic Canada and shortly into a walk from one site to another to the next field I got a signal, dug it up and even though I could only see small portions of the coin through the dirt, it was unmistakably gold. At that moment my brain sort of went to mush and I think I had picked it up, but for some reason put it back in the dirt and called IH over for the reveal. The picture was taken at a good angle and it's not completely issue free, however it did escape any major damage and I consider myself extremely lucky as it is a farm field coin. The wild thing is how there was a way better chance neither of us found it because we were just walking in a straight line to the next site... I just happened to take the exact path to put myself over it. Given how many sites I've hunted and how many coins I've dug over so many years, I was quite willing to take any gold coin in any condition and call it a major success. This one far surpassed my expectations.

It's a 1778 British Guinea. 8.3g (22k)
Very very nice....congrats sir.
 
What an amazing find!
It's not too often I get called over to see a find that awesome...especially since I was only a mere 10m away when it got dug....that's how close I was!

We dig some great relics, coins, and every other thing from the ground so it was just a matter of time when a gold coin would be there. For the amount of time we put into detecting and research, it's only right to be rewarded with a prize like that!
Congrats buddy, let's hope you've broken the seal for the rest of us to find something just as nice!
 
I have heard the legend that the British immigrants used gold coins but never found one myself. I haven't even found a big silver, just little ones and coppers. Finding a gold coin like this would be the pinnacle of my metal detecting! Congratulations in "spades"!
 
I haven't posted much on here recently but had a bit of a surprise on Saturday. Ironhorse and I were out here in Atlantic Canada and shortly into a walk from one site to another to the next field I got a signal, dug it up and even though I could only see small portions of the coin through the dirt, it was unmistakably gold. At that moment my brain sort of went to mush and I think I had picked it up, but for some reason put it back in the dirt and called IH over for the reveal. The picture was taken at a good angle and it's not completely issue free, however it did escape any major damage and I consider myself extremely lucky as it is a farm field coin. The wild thing is how there was a way better chance neither of us found it because we were just walking in a straight line to the next site... I just happened to take the exact path to put myself over it. Given how many sites I've hunted and how many coins I've dug over so many years, I was quite willing to take any gold coin in any condition and call it a major success. This one far surpassed my expectations.

It's a 1778 British Guinea. 8.3g (22k)
HOLY crapola.
Wow..... What a frigging hit.

Um.... GRADE IT ! ! !
 
I haven't posted much on here recently but had a bit of a surprise on Saturday. Ironhorse and I were out here in Atlantic Canada and shortly into a walk from one site to another to the next field I got a signal, dug it up and even though I could only see small portions of the coin through the dirt, it was unmistakably gold. At that moment my brain sort of went to mush and I think I had picked it up, but for some reason put it back in the dirt and called IH over for the reveal. The picture was taken at a good angle and it's not completely issue free, however it did escape any major damage and I consider myself extremely lucky as it is a farm field coin. The wild thing is how there was a way better chance neither of us found it because we were just walking in a straight line to the next site... I just happened to take the exact path to put myself over it. Given how many sites I've hunted and how many coins I've dug over so many years, I was quite willing to take any gold coin in any condition and call it a major success. This one far surpassed my expectations.

It's a 1778 British Guinea. 8.3g (22k)
Major congratulations on the great looking gold coin.
Escapes nearly 250 yrs of farm field work. That alone is a rarity.
Just a little upside to the day.

Screenshot_20251203_190234_Samsung Internet.webp
 
Just WOW! That is the find of a lifetime. Congratulations!
 
Huge congrats on a fantastic find!! I know you & IH probably already know this, but if I were you two, I would forget about the fields for a while & scrounge around the path or area that you found it. Might be just one coin from a bigger splatter. One never knows how it got there in the first place. CHEERS !!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom