Is the lost coins , relics in the sand dunes

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look another topic answered I’m sure, but look I see so many people searching low tides, but what about the sand dunes, I’m not saying waves don’t push or currents move to shorelines but what about the dunes or piles that get pulled back. I dont no educate me Gary drayton said this to some degree, well all you experts go tell us dummies how this water and erosion creates pockets or dunes

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look another topic answered I’m sure, but look I see so many people searching low tides, but what about the sand dunes, I’m not saying waves don’t push or currents move to shorelines but what about the dunes or piles that get pulled back. I dont no educate me Gary drayton said this to some degree, well all you experts go tell us dummies how this water and erosion creates pockets or dunes
It violates Florida law to dig or for that matter even walk in the dunes.

" Florida law states that no person, firm, corporation, or governmental agency shall damage or cause to be damaged sand dunes or the vegetation growing on the dune system (subparagraph 161.053(2)(a), Florida Statutes)."

If a dune collapses on the beach then you can search that area and keep what you find, but start detecting in the dunes and you will pay for it. Fines can be quite expensive too.

Wave action on a beach can move the sand or pile it up, it all depends on the angle of the waves that hit the beach during a storm. I have seen rip currents tear holes in a beach 4 foot deep and 30-40 yards long revealing coins and jewelry lost decades and or hundreds of years ago, that same hole can be covered up in 24 hours by the tides too.

I have seen storm strip 2 to 3 feet of hard-packed sand off of Daytona beach leaving silver coins and gold jewelry everywhere and seen it pile 4- 6 feet of fresh sand on the beach after a storm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So understanding your words it’s a matter of luck finding anything of significance on a random day, it’s the hurricane that people pay attention to in detecting fair enoug, I mean you live there I don’t. I’m not one to destroy Mother Nature no way, so what’s in the sand dunes respectfully, turtle eggs, plants, I mean Florida rules you can’t go into water so far can’t go so far the other way. On an average day how many people you see detecting the veto beach and coastal areas, are the dummies ruining it for us nice folks, or is it the way it always was thanks sir

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So understanding your words it’s a matter of luck finding anything of significance on a random day, it’s the hurricane that people pay attention to in detecting fair enoug, I mean you live there I don’t. I’m not one to destroy Mother Nature no way, so what’s in the sand dunes respectfully, turtle eggs, plants, I mean Florida rules you can’t go into water so far can’t go so far the other way. On an average day how many people you see detecting the veto beach and coastal areas, are the dummies ruining it for us nice folks, or is it the way it always was thanks sir
Florida has a little over 650 miles of beaches and only approximately 25-30 miles are restricted. hunting the beaches is like hunting anywhere else, at least 75% of it is luck.

Ocean waves tear up and rebuild the beaches daily, a hurricane can uncover a thousand silver pieces of 8 one day and drag them all back out to sea the next day or bury it so deep your detector want be able to detect it.

It is random luck even for the leaseholders who hunt the beaches with treasure recovery boats blowing huge holes in the sand below the boat. We go to the beach after a storm in the hope we find something but there is no guarantee you will find squat. I have gone to the beach after a hurricane hoping to find something only to find the storm has piled 2 feet of fresh sand on the beach and I'm lucky to find a dollar worth of change. I have also gone on days with no storms and found 5 gold rings, two are diamond.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread