What's new

Is this a bayonette?

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
5,113
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went diggin' today at a farmhouse established in the 1850's. This is something I dug from the back corner of the house.

It's very sharp. What is it? ???
 

Attachments

  • HPIM3878.webp
    HPIM3878.webp
    95.1 KB · Views: 725
Another thought....... It looks like a letter opener. Need to see a good pictiure of the butt-end.
 
Upvote 0
First thing that came to my mind was a top of an wrought iron Gate or fence. Did the property have any iron fences??

The lightning idea is palusable but seriously how many of those would have been made??

Sasnz
 
Upvote 0
sasnz said:
First thing that came to my mind was a top of an wrought iron Gate or fence. Did the property have any iron fences??

The lightning idea is palusable but seriously how many of those would have been made??

Sasnz

Well at the turn of the century, most every house, garage, barn and outbuilding in the country had several each... I have seen some old big barns that had 10 of those lightning rod assemblies on the roof. so, they were made by the millions..lol..
It is definitely a lightning rod tip, I've had and sold a bunch of them.
Good find anyway!
 
Upvote 0
steif said:
sasnz said:
First thing that came to my mind was a top of an wrought iron Gate or fence. Did the property have any iron fences??

The lightning idea is palusable but seriously how many of those would have been made??

Sasnz

Well at the turn of the century, most every house, garage, barn and outbuilding in the country had several each... I have seen some old big barns that had 10 of those lightning rod assemblies on the roof. so, they were made by the millions..lol..
It is definitely a lightning rod tip, I've had and sold a bunch of them.
Good find anyway!

Ok I take it back then, Never had these things here, Man you folks must have been awefully jumpy when you saw a storm coming lol
 
Upvote 0
sasnz said:
steif said:
sasnz said:
First thing that came to my mind was a top of an wrought iron Gate or fence. Did the property have any iron fences??

The lightning idea is palusable but seriously how many of those would have been made??

Sasnz

Well at the turn of the century, most every house, garage, barn and outbuilding in the country had several each... I have seen some old big barns that had 10 of those lightning rod assemblies on the roof. so, they were made by the millions..lol..
It is definitely a lightning rod tip, I've had and sold a bunch of them.
Good find anyway!

Ok I take it back then, Never had these things here, Man you folks must have been awefully jumpy when you saw a storm coming lol

Naw... I didn't mean to be snippy if I came off that way..lol..
I'm in central Indiana and grew up seeing those everywhere, most are gone now, replaced by lightning rods about a foot tall.
 
Upvote 0
Holy schnike, you guys and gals are freakin hilarious!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

I really needed a good laugh. Thanks :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Im with the green check police and I dont see yours. solved check.gif :wink:
 

Attachments

  • solved check.gif
    solved check.gif
    589 bytes · Views: 311
Upvote 0
Mona ,
I showed this exchange to my wife and she said you are ,indeed , a good witch .
Don't know much about checkers , Nick ,....... Think it's your move ....... ;D
 
Upvote 0
Very interesting work Mona. Dont worry about your hands. 8)
 
Upvote 0
I might be a witch, Benny, but I'm a good witch.
[/quote]

Lisa, I've never doubted this.
But you might reconsider having turned Nick into a toad -- the appetizers he's been posting in the Recipes forum all include flies, crickets, moths and such. I'm sure they're delicious concoctions, but I don't know where to get these things???
 
Upvote 0
Gosh...I am getting in on the tail end of this,but my first thought was a letter opener. Cool find and glad to see you out.....I dont know for sure what it is...maybe if you ran over to my house and let me see it in person ::)...but I do know that here in the south we call them frog stickers...which seems very appropriate considering the way this thread has taken direction....
 

Attachments

  • frog sticker.webp
    frog sticker.webp
    25 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom