What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Is this gold with copper?

Customx_12

Hero Member
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
559
Reaction score
336
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this posted in the What Is It thread but not getting much traction.

Is this slag with gold and copper? It’s not natural, right?

The length can be seen in the photos and it weighs a little over 800 grams.

What are thoughts on this weird one?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5746.webp
    IMG_5746.webp
    2.5 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_5747.webp
    IMG_5747.webp
    3.2 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_5748.webp
    IMG_5748.webp
    2.7 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5749.webp
    IMG_5749.webp
    2 MB · Views: 87
Interesting what fire does to things. There clearly is wire melted in with other stuff. So probably not natural right?

IMG_5191.webp


What is it? You will have to separate out one of the gold looking pieces, test it, then let us know. Where did you find it? Does not appear to have been buried.
 
Upvote 0
Drip some nitric acid on the gold, if nothing happens it's gold, if it bubbles green it's brass.
I’m thinking there was some scrap copper wire and pennies there that got melted. The modern zinc pennies and copper turned into a brass alloy. Maybe some other source of zinc. But I’d bet melted zinc and copper.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I bought it at an estate auction. It was sitting on a shelf alone with tons of books and knick knacks. The estate auction company just sold stuff as is where is so they auctioned off all the contents of the shelves as one lot. I won and found this when loading it up.
 
Upvote 0
looks like someone was trying to melt copper and brass/Brazing Rod in an ingot mold.
probably with a propane torch by the looks of it.
i would still have it tested for gold, people do some strange things.
 
Upvote 0
It reminds me of a jewelry box drawer that maybe had been in a house fire like mentioned above. I have a little catch all drawer in mine that has random junk metal jewelry, coins etc as well as gold\silver.
 
Upvote 0
Would the acid damage it at all if it is gold?
Nitric acid comes in different strength solutions from 10K-22K
If it's gold it won't hurt it.
Another solution is to take it to pawn shop that has a XRF.

Personally I think that you have melted ?
The item has copper wire plus possible brass.
Melted brass will have the appearance of gold.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom