🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Is this rough Painite?

Jan 7, 2023
What exactly have I discovered here? Is it painite and corundum? There are so many gems in this rock I'm having an impossible time figuring out what everything is. I see rectangular white gems, neon green and darker green gems, whatever the white face is,, salt related?? The white face is transparent with lines. And than the two naturally faceted red smaller gemstones on the front. I'm both bewildered and amazed by this thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated as well as needed.

received_1790232924683664.jpeg
received_3242882009308997.jpeg
received_949608459782662.jpeg
received_876177340187104.jpeg
received_924090705640674.jpeg

Joshtwisleton

Jan 4, 2023
What exactly have I discovered here? Is it painite and corundum? There are so many gems in this rock I'm having an impossible time figuring out what everything is. I see rectangular white gems, neon green and darker green gems, whatever the white face is,, salt related?? The white face is transparent with lines. And than the two naturally faceted red smaller gemstones on the front. I'm both bewildered and amazed by this thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated as well as needed.

View attachment 2063351 View attachment 2063352 View attachment 2063353 View attachment 2063354 View attachment 2063355
Maybe it's a pirate map. Look for symbols.

Upvote 1

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2063351 View attachment 2063352 View attachment 2063353 View attachment 2063354 View attachment 2063355
Take it to the lapidary shop if you have one close enough to be inexpensive. They might would like to have it to make it more beautiful.
I like it. good luck

Upvote 1
OP
OP
T
Jan 7, 2023
Garnets/calcite/?. There is an area on Vesper Peak in Snohomish County Washington that produces Grossular garnet specimens that look very similar to yours. Nice find with a lot going on.
I think you're onto something with this, I'm nowhere near Washington but from what I've seen anything can end up just about anywhere. The majority of the structure seems to be garnet related. This makes me wonder if it's possible that the accompanying green could be tsavorite, but I can't very well find information on red and green garnet growing together naturally. I guess in the end it all boils down to testing, but I truly appreciate the feedback thank you

Upvote 1
OP
OP
T
Jan 7, 2023
WOW !! whatever it is, it's beautiful and sure has a lot of different minerals & gems enclosed.
Yes I know! it is definitely one to marvel at! I couldn't be more curious, I only came across it by sheer luck and digging haha but that's how these things usually work out. You never know what you can find if you don't look, dirt can hide anything 😅

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you're onto something with this, I'm nowhere near Washington but from what I've seen anything can end up just about anywhere. The majority of the structure seems to be garnet related. This makes me wonder if it's possible that the accompanying green could be tsavorite, but I can't very well find information on red and green garnet growing together naturally. I guess in the end it all boils down to testing, but I truly appreciate the feedback thank you
If you haven't already, you should look up some images of calcite crystals. They come in many colors.

Upvote 1

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's what makes our hobby so unique, you never know what you'll uncover, it's the beautiful feeling that we have when we discover something that possibly has not been seen by a human before.

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know what it is, but that's a gorgeous chunk of rock ya got there..:headbang:

There is an area on Vesper Peak in Snohomish County Washington that produces Grossular garnet specimens that look very similar to yours.

I'd love to go hunt for some of those Grossular garnets, but Vesper Peak does not have road access. From what I've read, the hike in will take 7-8 hrs. on a sketchy trail, so accessing the area is not for the faint of heart (or legs).

Upvote 1

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what it is, but that's a gorgeous chunk of rock ya got there..:headbang:

I'd love to go hunt for some of those Grossular garnets, but Vesper Peak does not have road access. From what I've read, the hike in will take 7-8 hrs. on a sketchy trail, so accessing the area is not for the faint of heart (or legs).
Yep. My mountain trail climbing days are behind me. If I still lived near there, I'd get into a few streams up the mountain with a screen. Garnets gather on bedrock. Find a spot where the stream runs over bedrock, and hit the holes and cracks. I once filled my pockets with pea sized garnets from a creek in Idaho. Pure chance. I was fishing, and noticed the gravel looked reddish just below a little waterfall. They were all very dark and included, but it was fun anyway to reach down and come up with a handful.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread