Just a general Tnet gripe.

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I know this will be moved to the rant section, but what the heck? I see people post pics of nice old coins ranging from colonial to present and some will post nice finds or something, like your supposed to. But for some reason I posted a topic of finding a 18th and 19th Century cache and someone made a comment to post a pic of the clasp of the purse that the coins may have been in. Thats the only comment the posting got. So what the heck is there some reason why some post dont get anything? Well thats it my rant it over.

couple reasons i think,

a. this is TODAYS finds.. not 15 years agos finds
b. its a hard to believe story without pics from the field, or pics of the coin purse

A. I tried posting in best finds section but it seems I get the most/best replies from todays finds.
B. 15 years ago i was 15 and digital cameras were not out for public.
C. So as log as I post a pic of a broken rusty clasp you will believe me then. Honestly if I wanted to post a cache find you think I would post something nicer than 16 wornout coins woth holes and everything else?

I haven't seen your other post yet but I'm sure I'll comment when I do.

dosn't matter if you found it 15 years ago
Or today.

I Believe You. Clasp or not.

I would take it he just was Hoping you Kept it.
(you should see my Garage. I Think I have the folded up
aluminum foil I
found 30 years ago :D ) Some people
keep everything :P

as for todays finds or best finds
dosn't matter which gets more traffic

15 years ago is no where near today

this is why we have other boards and why I
moved it to Best Finds. and
this to General Discussion :wink:
I Hope this Helps.

Prat, I did have an opinion about your find and didn't respond, but I will say this purely as a generalization about anyone's find that fits the following description; If someone's find, say a find of a stash of coins, look to all be dealer culls, then antenas go up. Many savvy detectorists will then check poster's history of 'extraordinary' finds, his history of buying and selling coins, etc., to form their own conclusions. Sadly in my short time on the board such skepticism has proved itself out causing the removal of some posted finds.

Not saying at all that this necessarily applies to your find, but the consistantly bad condition of your coins in this find very clearly suggest this not a "pocket spill". It was probably a mistake to suggest it might be, considering you also found the clasp to the purse.

I like your coins, culls though they may be. I remember very well that in the years just prior to when you found this group, some dealers had little knowledge of counterstamped coins, and in this case perhaps, didn't have knowledge about "love tokens". You could often find a "love token" in a dealer's junk box twenty or thirty years ago. It's plausible that what you found was a collection, specifically the dregs of a collection, given to child, who in turn might have burried it or lost it. I have a little group of culls myself which I keep to give one or two to, to a child that seems to show an interest in history and detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back