Just Drill Holes

Hello Mark60, A drill hole that's 4 inches across = 10 cm - if its 4 inches deep that's 10 cm, the distance around the top ( I used a fabric tape ) = 34.5 X 2 = 69 paces x33 inches =189.5 feet. Pay close to everything in the bottom, smaller drill hole ( 1/4 inch ) will make it deeper, there will be over 250 difference types with different meaning. Two inch hole means 1/2 the distance or you can use any type of math, 16 inch deep and 16 inch works the same . Time is up.

A couple of reasons that its hard to figure the drill holes I think is that they really didn't want them seen / Perhaps they are natural / I have seen those that was really a university gathering core samples consider to be a drill hole, The first thing to look for is, all that I have seen have another mark can to verify what you have is real, Its not easy but its fun, most folks don't spend the time or the effort it do the Reading that's necessary to learn, I have tried to tell all I know about them and it has taken me more than 20 years. One of the things that interesting to me is the Royal Trails Lost Horse has some on her site, and yours may have the same method if its a Royal Trail which is a pace = where a Royal Trail is 66 inches which is count your left step only military,

Last edited:
There may be something more to the holes because there several, but your rock is actually an Owl with a gunsite to look thru on top of it's head. There is a groove line to follow on it. You stand behind it and site over towards the left side of the picture. The drill holes are often just on important markers to get your attention. They sometimes look more like a divot that makes a shadow dot. But many of the ones I see are just a single dot, just to verify it is an important marker. They always have something else like a top line or alignment off them or gunsite type thing associated with them.
It's just giving you a line to follow or showing where another marker is that is part of a triangle. Your tape measure is setting in the cut that indicates a triangle. You only need two visible points to create the triangle. The third corner can be buried or just a spot you are to find. One corner should be thru the gunsite, the other should likely line up to the side with the top ridge of the owl head where the right or left ear is pointing.

Mike, Theres so many things to look at, Royal Trails for instance have a count the left step only ( to the left to the left ) Military, or 66 inches, in your Map Rock for instance if the bottom of the hole's are flat, no rounded bottom at all the likely being is its a Royal Trail and they will not have a Mark for 2.5 miles, It's hard but it can be done, I used 1 inch schedule 40 white PVC, Use a end cap and drill hole 1/4 inch in it for a 4 inch drive screws with about 3 inches sticking out with using underground splice kits made by 3 M from electrical supply house Get everything laid out and ready before mixing the 3 m compound Times up

Hello Quinoa, You are right about the owl / gunsite The gunsite All of the markers have I seen have two or more symbol to verifiy that it is in fact one of theirs J. P. I do believe that its a map, I have seen them the size of a wooden kitchen match with the layout that was about 3 inches long and 1 inch deep, 7 holes that was laid out like a dipper. The total size was less a dollar,

Last edited:
dsty, thanks, the hole in question with a pvc pipe inserted points straight to my rock carving with the triangle i dont have my book with me right now for the distance but your formula seems to work out right thanks again
IMG_2123.JPGIMG_2125.JPG

Mark 60,because of the triangle shape of the drill hole and the initial's above tells me that you have found the west set of mark's, I would look East 400 to 700 feet, should be a lot carved boulders in the area look for a slice of pie shape boulder ( triangle ), it should be in the South East corner, should be three total corners, if its a true triangle and the North East corner should have, Kinda interesting. The distances between the corner's will be 189.5 feet or 1/2 or 95 feet, measure everything and get the compass degrees. The one I found Had a O RO which indicated O = 15 th book of the Bible OR = two or second Chapter, verse 15 and 18 information available 454 grams = 1 pound, 112 = # of bars. Took awhile on this. 1814 or a Date was available 1 st book or Geneses chapter 8 and the other was the depth in CM I believe it was 7 ft 7 inches deep, the hole I found was 7 ft X 7 across and the dirt was in a ring around the hole. The Spanish carried a 12 foot rock bar with them to center the hole I've only seen one, pretty hefty piece of iron, with 6 sides, I worked on this on and off for 16 years.

that is some good information dsty. I find the number 1757. I will apply that and see what I get.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Everything that I have for letter's or numbers seem to refer to the Old Testament, Its really fun to see everyone's post and I guess I'm hooked on this stuff always remember it just remember to have fun and be safe

Hello Bob, would you post the photo of the 1757, I would look for something that would reference the chapter and verse if it is a normal Jesuit Priest date, thanks

Is it always easy to tell whether or not these holes are natural or man made? I just came across my first rock with these holes in that I *think* could be a treasure sign.
Big rock.jpg

Finally! I got the pic to upload upright!

Last edited:
It probably has more info than I would like to share. But here you go
79b5f52773456bafa4e433cab1611e90.jpg

Is it always easy to tell whether or not these holes are natural or man made? I just came across my first rock with these holes in that I *think* could be a treasure sign.
View attachment 1316047
I believe it may be the flag man. But I would like to hear what others have to say.

Looks like a map to me, start at the spring, all the info that you can gather, if it is a spring. I would start lower right hand work it like its a Spring go to the head, should be a marked stone there will get you started./ I don't think its Spanish It may be outlaw/ KGC, with a little bit of Spanish influence. I have seen holes as small as a kitchen match. I would expect rocks along the trail

I believe it may be the flag man. But I would like to hear what others have to say.

Backwoodsbob - Thank you for your input. What is the flag man?

Looks like a map to me, start at the spring, all the info that you can gather, if it is a spring. I would start lower right hand work it like its a Spring go to the head, should be a marked stone there will get you started./ I don't think its Spanish It may be outlaw/ KGC, with a little bit of Spanish influence. I have seen holes as small as a kitchen match. I would expect rocks along the trail
Hi Dsty. So you think these are drill holes and not natural?
So you are saying to just go find the spring on the site and look for signs? We are in a valley and the spring would be quite a distance from this rock starting up the mountain somewhere I presume. Do I start at the lower right hand of the rock as the rock actually is, or as it was initially posted here - upside down? The original pic I posted is now posted correctly.
There is also an owl tree here about 50 ft. away with a rock a few feet away from that that is shaped like a shoe. This stone has a carving of what looks like a profile of a guy with a reticelle around his neck. Maybe the shoe is a symbol to keep walking in that direction? About 50 feet further from that is a stream. On this rock did you notice the letters T and j? And the mushroom laying on it's side at the edge of the largest drill hole? Or is this a mushroom. My husband says it is a mouse face. Not sure.
At this point, I have no idea which group is responsible for this.
Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions, and thank you for your guidance!

Last edited:
gm,

Is the rock a vista point that is high on the hill where you can see the surrounding area?

Hello Tinhorn, I forgot to monitor the thread and didn't realize you had commented on my post. Sorry for the delayed response.

The rock does somewhat overlook an open, flat area. I think I know what you might be suggesting, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what the scale is. I've tried to match the holes in the rock to other rocks in the area (from a bird's eye view), but there doesn't seem to be a good match. I've detected all over the area where these rocks are at, but no hits yet.

There may be something more to the holes because there several, but your rock is actually an Owl with a gunsite to look thru on top of it's head. There is a groove line to follow on it. You stand behind it and site over towards the left side of the picture. The drill holes are often just on important markers to get your attention. They sometimes look more like a divot that makes a shadow dot. But many of the ones I see are just a single dot, just to verify it is an important marker. They always have something else like a top line or alignment off them or gunsite type thing associated with them.
It's just giving you a line to follow or showing where another marker is that is part of a triangle. Your tape measure is setting in the cut that indicates a triangle. You only need two visible points to create the triangle. The third corner can be buried or just a spot you are to find. One corner should be thru the gunsite, the other should likely line up to the side with the top ridge of the owl head where the right or left ear is pointing.

Quinoa, same apology I offered Tinhorn. I hadn't monitored the thread and didn't see any email notifications, so I forgot to check in for replies. Thank you for your analysis, very intriguing.

Next time I'm there I'll look through the gunsite. If I stand behind the rock and look through the groove, towards the left side of the picture, I'll be looking south. I see the owl now. I read up Lost Horse's thread as well, as dsty suggested, so it's starting to click.

I'll update this thread with pics if I see anything interesting though the gunsite. If you saw the separate thread I have going on this area, there is another rock south-southwest of this one that is probably related. Found that rock before I found the owl. See that thread for more information on the rock below: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-marks-signs/492900-rock-carvings-nm-boulder-help-interpretation.html

I'll monitor both threads more often now for replies.

IMG_0382.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back