Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the Puget Sound of Washington state, this is a nice piece.

Wish it was not broken. But you can't fight the waves, they will eventually crumble all the pieces.

Found on the beach - in between seattle and tacoma. Pretty high up the beach, but below the drift wood.

Tell me what you think!

Aprilarrow.jpg

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still a nice find.
I would bet that it eroded out of what is now the beach and not washed onto the beach.
The shoreline was much further away when that was made.
I would go back to that area after a decent erosion event.

OP
OP
CoinFetcher

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erosion events are happening when it rains - Basically, mud slides on the beach. Always love to hunt after a big storm.

The Duwamish museum has the stuff that I want to find. SEAL BOWL

seal bowl.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant see the flaking very well but I think I can see a nice long strike rite at the broken area. That means Archaic period and by the base I would guess if it was found in my area 7500-8000 B.P.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
can you show me the broken tip? looks kinda similar to this one found not all that far from where you found yours....size, shape and material...I call this one a spoke shave as the broken tip looks suspicious. On the beaches you hunt most of the points are already "in place" so to speak, they are not being deposited by an erosion event. What happens is after a good storm when the waves really pounded the beach, the gravel gets turned over and "new" stuff gets rotated to the top. You can tell the difference between "new" (erosion event stuff) and the pieces I am talking about by how polished the flaking has become. The "new" pieces are mostly whole with very sharp edges...but most of the stuff we are finding is very smooth and worn down...(and often broken). Remember too that gravel on these beaches sorts itself out by size, it is most usual to find smaller points with the smaller gravel and larger with the larger. Also on these beaches, walk along the edge of where the actual beach meets the flat of the clam beds....I am sure you know what I am talking about. This is where the heavier stuff accumulates.

Are you finding agates or agate marine fossils?

Attachments

• DSC03275.JPG
    DSC03275.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP
CoinFetcher

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tip is missing, so it goes with beach combing. Agates of all toes color and size, up to ping pong ball sized. Very few marine fossils in the areas I am. Lots of pet wood. I like the agate pet. Wood.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Your agate marine fossils are in the 20 to 30 million year range...they come from the foot hills of the Olympics and are washed down streams and rivers to the beaches.

OP
OP
CoinFetcher

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
except I'm hunting on the East side of the puget sound! :P

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were given alot of good info here..by some knowlagable folks.. Geological and archaeological.
I don't no what makes you think being on the east side of the Puget Sound would be an exception to what unclemac just stated...either way... good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoinFetcher

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were given alot of good info here..by some knowlagable folks.. Geological and archaeological.
I don't no what makes you think being on the east side of the Puget Sound would be an exception to what unclemac just stated...either way... good luck.

Their is a 800 foot deep chasm of water inbetween the olympics called the puget sound. I don't image much ( if anything) has ever made is down the slope of the Olympic Range, and onto the Eastern shores of the sound. The Cascades have a lot of fossils, I would just assume that the cascade range would supplying the eastern shores with material. Dang, I sound like a jackass! Are you from around here Gatorboy? If so, I'll zip it - otherwise, I'll stand by my statement that material would have a VERY difficult time getting across the puget sound.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you're talking about things millions of years old.. the landscape you're looking at now was not the same in the geological past.
The Puget Sound was created by movement of the tectonic plate in that area..think about it... there is fossil sea life in the mountains.
That range used to be.... the eastern shore.
I don't need to be from Washington to know this.

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
yep, doesn't matter...the same applies going down the coast to Oregon too...

let me explain....the material isn't crossing the sound, it is going around it...on the beaches. It gets shifted little by little back and forth over and over. But you could be right too. The Cascades are full of interesting stuff but much younger I do believe.

Opps Ifoundit

Greenie
Aug 13, 2013
Tacoma WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the answer is Glaciers! That's how they move. The puget sound was covered by glaciers a mile deep in the past. I asked about this on youtube a few years ago after finding smooth boulders full of marine fossils laying on beaches and fields and got this reply "The rock that the fossils are found in is called chert. With the nature of chert, combined with its above average ability to resist weathering, recrystallization and metamorphism has made it the perfect rock for preservation of early life forms, like fossils. Most likely these fossils and chert were uplifted from plate tectonics or from glacial drift, which is the movement of sediment in glaciers. Then dropped there after the glaciers melted." So they were scooped off the cascades and dropped in the san juan islands! Crazy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread