What's new

lancaster county finds. odd very old coin

jfx55

Full Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
183
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
1
Location
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does anyone no what this coin is. very very thin and was near black when i dug it. depth around 6-7 inches read on the meter as a quarter hit. i used some blue-ribbion coin preserver to clean it up a bit. also found what i think is a old hatchet head. got permmision to hunt this old iron works by a creek.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 292.webp
    Picture 292.webp
    17 KB · Views: 6,353
Upvote 2
Sweet coin find!

As far as how it got there, well you all should know by now that people do carry around (and lose) old coins.

I found a 10th century chinese coin here in Portland. I kind of doubt there were any Chinese people running around here in those days.....
 
Very nice find! Love the mysteries surrounding such finds...always adds to the excitement as far as I'm concerned.

Somebody long ago lost his/her keepsake or lucky coin from the "old country," I'm guessing. Maybe something given to a person before heading to the New World to start a new life in America, and considered as a "never go broke" gesture.
 
I found a 10th century chinese coin here in Portland. I kind of doubt there were any Chinese people running around here in those days.....

Most likely lost by Chinese miners and railroad workers 19th century, but there are theories that Chinese reached America well before Columbus.
Oroblanco
 
Oroblanco said:
but there are theories that Chinese reached America well before Columbus.
Oroblanco

and no doubt at all there were travelers on the Susquehanna,
in Pennsylvania
in the 16th. Century.
 
Oroblanco said:
I found a 10th century chinese coin here in Portland. I kind of doubt there were any Chinese people running around here in those days.....

Most likely lost by Chinese miners and railroad workers 19th century, but there are theories that Chinese reached America well before Columbus.
Oroblanco

That's right, and it may not have been a trans-oceanic trip. There's a lot of speculation that ancient travellers from the east successfully made the journey by simply hugging the coast along the northern Pacific (Russia, Alaska, Canada and the US west coast).
 
One will never know exactly when or how that coin came to rest where it did but that is a find of a lifetime for sure. Congrats on that amazing coin!!!
 
Unreal!!!
That was minted only 28 years after Columbus got here!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom