What's new

Last of the Mohicans

TerryC

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
7,855
Reaction score
11,225
Golden Thread
0
Location
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just learned yesterday that my girlfriend's great great great great (4?) Grandfather, Cooper, was ,in part, the basis for the book. She is up on that geneology stuff. How neat is THAT? TTC
 
Time to go and detect his known areas. You might find one of his artifacts; It's a small world.
 
heat45 said:
Time to go and detect his known areas. You might find one of his artifacts; It's a small world.
Hey guys... tnx. I only wish every item I dig had the history tag still attached! TTC
 
Hay Terry, I didn't read the book, but I saw the movie several times. I have always wondered, was he really the last? Frank
 
Frankn said:
Hay Terry, I didn't read the book, but I saw the movie several times. I have always wondered, was he really the last? Frank
Hey Frankn and others... Tnx. I don't know if he was the last Mohican.... but judging from early U.S. history, many indian tribes were completely wiped out by genocide and disease. I'm sure some "literary leeway" was taken in the book and movie. Such as.... I toured the state park where the film was made and I never saw any "rubber rocks"! TTC
 
Cooper got Mohicans (Mahican) and Mohegan mixed up. Mohicans were once a very strong tribe, Mohawks feared them.
Most of the story is fiction, based on actual events. Munro didn't get killed on the trip from FT. William Henry to FT. Edward. He died several months later near Albany, basically of a broken heart, no will to live.
Uncas was a Mohegan. Mohegans are CT Natives, not NY. Mohicans ranged from Northwestern CT to the Hudson, North up to Champlain. East into VT, South thru Western MA. I am a Mohican descendant. Most of the tribe itself is in Wisconsin. Mohicans are also known as Stockbridge Indians.
It is said that the Mohicans are the Natives Henry Hudson met on his trip up the river now bearing his name.
 
4strer... your input is very much appreciated. Tnx. I recently read a book called Empire of the Summer Moon. About the Comanches and Quana Parker in Texas. Very gruesome and graphic. Still, a must read for history buffs. TTC
 
great movie and that's really cool. If you have any kin related to the name 'John Rambo' then that would be icing on the cake!
 
Terry-

I just got "Empire of the Summer Moon" as a gift. I haven't read it yet, not the area I like to read about but it looks interesting. Any book by Allen Eckert is worth reading. These are historical narratives. He did a series of 5 or 6 of them. "Wilderness Empire" has a VERY detailed description of the Ft. William Henry siege, among others. Great read for anyone interested in the French and Indian Wars.
 
I’ve never seen that movie, but many people have recommended I see it due to my interest in the First People who lived in my area.

And on that note, yesterday I helped clear brush from an ancient ceremonial site recently discovered in the woods in my town.
 
menotomymaps said:
I’ve never seen that movie, but many people have recommended I see it due to my interest in the First People who lived in my area.

And on that note, yesterday I helped clear brush from an ancient ceremonial site recently discovered in the woods in my town.
Neat! Re-living history. Tnx. TTC
 
Very cool,have not read the book but love the movie. My sister researched our genealogy and we found several things we did not know. My dads great grand father's parrents died on the trail of tears and he as a small boy was taken in by a family with my last name. We had always heard he was in the Confederate cavalry during the war but we found out he was in a Tennessee Loyalists unit fighting for the union. :icon_scratch:
 
birdman said:
Very cool,have not read the book but love the movie. My sister researched our genealogy and we found several things we did not know. My dads great grand father's parrents died on the trail of tears and he as a small boy was taken in by a family with my last name. We had always heard he was in the Confederate cavalry during the war but we found out he was in a Tennessee Loyalists unit fighting for the union. :icon_scratch:
I might also say that my girlfriend has named other notables in the tree. If you go back far enough... and WIDE enough, you can almost find a link to everyone! Still neat. Tnx, Birdman. TTC
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom