Lava rock?

supra889289

Aug 11, 2013
Found this on the beach today and it looks like a lava rock but I'm confused as to where it would come from I'm in Wisconsin. Any clue as to what it is

image-4196618095.jpg

Upvote 0

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll take a shot at it, it's a basalt/rhyolite rock or technically Augite and was formed in the pre-Cambrian era over a billion years ago. Igneous and metamorphic rocks make up 90% of the crust so they can be found almost anywhere if you look hard enough. Shiny parts could be volcanic glass/obsidian hard to tell from pic. Cool looking rock.

Short answer Basalt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
supra889289

supra889289

Aug 11, 2013
Ok cool I looked up basalt and its a form of lava rock I learned a little bit today :D kinda cool I found this around here

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whatever it is nice find. My vote goes to meteorite.
Break a small piece off and look at the clean section of where you broke it. Look for neat little patterns or a colorful surface that resembles oil slick.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont want to burst anyones bubble, but it really looks like iron slag , just my opinion tho, but we have tons of the stuff all over my area. being magnetic sealed it for me

OP
OP
supra889289

supra889289

Aug 11, 2013
I dig up a buch of slag I know what it links like. And slag is usually rusty and a hell of a lot heavier than this

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was simply giving my opinion on your pic, we have many old iron furnaces in our area and slag comes in many forms ,some glass like , or metalic ash like, when railroads bought the steel for there tracks they also took the slag from the mills as fill for their railroad beds, the sample you have looks just like the slag from pig iron , which would be the second smelting,primary smelting of raw ore tends to have a glasslike slag which comes in various colors,from green to cobalt blue depending on the impurities,i am not saying you are wrong, i cant do that from a picture, but walk a railroad anywhere and you will find similar pieces.

OP
OP
supra889289

supra889289

Aug 11, 2013
Oh I know I just really don't think it's slag idk where I could take it to get a professional opinion

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shiny silica specs make it pumice silica etc not a meteorite or slag it could be replacement agate with iron inside but unlikely. Just my opinions though post it in rocks and gems with close-up pic if you can one of those guys can tell you with more certainty.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Won't be a meteorite. No meteorite has ever been found with "bubbles". TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread