What's new

Lead help.

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
I found this interesting piece of lead with a bunch of musket bullets. The circle that goes through it was filled with wood. I cleared it out. The lead has the same look as the bullets, so I am thinking its from that time period. It also seems to have the shape of a bullet. What do you think it would have been used for? :help:
 

Attachments

  • 039.webp
    039.webp
    45.9 KB · Views: 268
  • 023.webp
    023.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 252
  • 025.webp
    025.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 267
  • 027.webp
    027.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 028.webp
    028.webp
    39.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 031.webp
    031.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 034.webp
    034.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 256
  • 032.webp
    032.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 033.webp
    033.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 250
This is a long shot but I have seen smoking pipes made of lead. Dangerous but it was done way back when. Hope I was looking at the picture right.
 
Upvote 0
:thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • 111pewterwhistle.webp
    111pewterwhistle.webp
    10.4 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 0
I believe you have it. I can see the resemblance from your picture.
Question, did the pewter whistles have a ball/reed in them, like i think i'm seeing in the picture, to make the sound?
 
Upvote 0
I believe you guys are correct. Unfortunately this one is in such terrible condition its nearly unrecognizable. You think I should green check it? :-\
 
Upvote 0
Not convinced. I have one of those pewter whistles. :-\

I'm looking for my brass pennywhistle, that has a pewter plug in it. That may be a closer match.
 
Upvote 0
:read2:

I to think lead alloy whistle :icon_thumleft:

SS
 

Attachments

  • whistle.webp
    whistle.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0
I think it's a part of this kind of whistle. I have one (in WI) that has a pewter or lead plug.
 

Attachments

  • PennyWhistle.webp
    PennyWhistle.webp
    46.2 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 0
:read2:

I think the one posted is almost complete :P and has a groove around the top, perhaps were there was something like leather or string to hang it :P

SS
 
Upvote 0
The problem with the what's it is that one opening is half round, the other a drill hole... no sound chamber, nothing to keep in the "pea," no large opening to blow into.... it's either part of a larger whistle, or it's not a whistle at all. :-\
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom