What's new

Lead seal

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm assuming it is a seal but, what's really captured my interest is the fine writing around the inside of the lip. I can't for the life of me make it out. Maybe you'll see something I can't. I found it no farther than 10 feet from the Reale I posted a couple days ago. Any clues? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • DSC00042.webp
    DSC00042.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 377
  • DSC00043.webp
    DSC00043.webp
    23 KB · Views: 375
  • DSC00044.webp
    DSC00044.webp
    39.3 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC00046.webp
    DSC00046.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 373
I'm pretty sure it says ""Quit detecting so that 72cheyenne can find the cool stuff". ;D No clue on the piece though, it seems "too round" to be a lead seal....maybe just a lid to something? :icon_scratch: Sure you can't make out any letters under a scope or magnifier?
 
Upvote 0
LOL I must stop soon I have a business to get going here real quick and we just found out we are expecting our first child. March 3rd is the due date. Camp ends next week so, I'm gettin er done
 
Upvote 0
Try putting some baby oil on it and see if that makes the writing readable.
 
Upvote 0
Congratulations to you and your wife Mike :icon_thumleft:

I have 'fiddled' with the pic of the lead but can't make out any legible marks. They just look like incidental marks, but I hope I'm wrong!
Cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0
Most likely if you found it next to a Reale it is a Revolutionary era button mold. A fellow club member just brought one in this evening to our meeting.
Just my opinion though.
Jeff K

Congrats to you and your wife.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a homemade weight, try weighing it?
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
LOL I must stop soon I have a business to get going here real quick and we just found out we are expecting our first child. March 3rd is the due date. Camp ends next week so, I'm gettin er done

Your best treasure yet :hello2: Congrats :wav:
 
Upvote 0
The last pic looks like a coin has been pressed into it :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
The last pic looks like a coin has been pressed into it :icon_scratch:

It sure does. :thumbsup: The writing would be backwards if that was the case...which would make it hard to read. 4-H, see if a coin will somewhat fit in the impression. Looks like a dime might fit.
 
Upvote 0
what a thought! Ok, I figured the date of the site being early 1800,s Folks would have used seated Dimes. Fine, I tried it. Too big. But, they also used half dimes back then and guess what? It fits! but, Is this the impression of a half dime. I tried to stencil onto paper the writing on the edges to no evail. any suggesions? If you look at the writing on the edge of the Half, It could very well be that of an impression of the seated half. How cool would that be?
 

Attachments

  • DSC00055.webp
    DSC00055.webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC00056.webp
    DSC00056.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 263
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
The last pic looks like a coin has been pressed into it :icon_scratch:

so a homemade weight with a coin impression :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
what a thought! Ok, I figured the date of the site being early 1800,s Folks would have used seated Dimes. Fine, I tried it. Too big. But, they also used half dimes back then and guess what? It fits! but, Is this the impression of a half dime. I tried to stencil onto paper the writing on the edges to no evail. any suggesions? If you look at the writing on the edge of the Half, It could very well be that of an impression of the seated half. How cool would that be?

If this is the same site that you have found the bit and 4reale, maybe a spanish coin impression? I have no idea of size comparisons between American and spanish coins. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
I don't know cheyenne. Check it out though. On the edge of the half dime it has tiny dots. Just like the impressions on the lead...I think we got er licked
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
I don't know cheyenne. Check it out though. On the edge of the half dime it has tiny dots. Just like the impressions on the lead...I think we got er licked

I realize that the half dime looks like a match, and has a good chance of being what it was. Without being able to make out any writing, we may never know for sure. Look at the edge of your reale, it has the same type marks. All I'm saying is that it could be from a 1/2, 1, 2, or 4 reale also, cause I don't know their sizes compared to say the American half dime.
DSC00031.webp
 
Upvote 0
Maybe someone tried their hand at counterfitting? :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
RPG said:
Maybe someone tried their hand at counterfitting? :dontknow:



That's what i thought!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom