What's new

Lead seal

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm assuming it is a seal but, what's really captured my interest is the fine writing around the inside of the lip. I can't for the life of me make it out. Maybe you'll see something I can't. I found it no farther than 10 feet from the Reale I posted a couple days ago. Any clues? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • DSC00042.webp
    DSC00042.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 377
  • DSC00043.webp
    DSC00043.webp
    23 KB · Views: 375
  • DSC00044.webp
    DSC00044.webp
    39.3 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC00046.webp
    DSC00046.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 373
Nice relic for sure, try Silly Putty impression and see what you get, I always have one egg of Sillly Putty here for doing just that, it works!

Don
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
4-H said:
I don't know cheyenne. Check it out though. On the edge of the half dime it has tiny dots. Just like the impressions on the lead...I think we got er licked

I realize that the half dime looks like a match, and has a good chance of being what it was. Without being able to make out any writing, we may never know for sure. Look at the edge of your reale, it has the same type marks. All I'm saying is that it could be from a 1/2, 1, 2, or 4 reale also, cause I don't know their sizes compared to say the American half dime.
Maybe 1/2 reale.

I know one of them is the exact size of a quarter. One night back in the 80's before celphones my old truck broke down after a day of MDing. I was all alone and walked about 10 fricken miles to a lonely payphone that ate my only quarter. With nowhere to get change, tired hungry and in in the middle of fricken nowhere, I used a Spanish Reale coin that I had in my pouch. I made my phone call and a policeman came by to give me some help.

So I know that one of them is the exact size of a quarter. :'(

Denominations:
1/2 REAL or One-Half "Bit" is equivalent to American HALF-DIME or 1/16 PESO also called a PICAYUNE, DIAMETER: 16.4 mm - 17,7 mm

1 REAL or One "Bit" is equivalent to American DIME or 1/8 PESO, DIAMETER: 20.3 mm - 21.6 mm

2 REALES or Two "Bits" are equivalent to American QUARTER or 1/4 PESO, DIAMETER: 26.2 mm - 28.1 mm

4 REALES or Four "Bits" are equivalent to American HALF-DOLLAR or 1/2 PESO, DIAMETER: 34.9 mm

A PIECE OF 8, or Eight "Bits"(a "Cob"), is equivalent to American DOLLAR or 1 PESO, DIAMETER: 38.8 mm - 39.9 mm

On Spanish Reales denominations are abbreviated "R" (on both 1/2 Real and 1 Real coins), "2 R", "4 R", and "8 R" respectively.

16 REALES = 1 ESCUDO




Congrats to you and your wife 4H. :hello2:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom