Legend of the Stone Maps

A small piece of stone appears to be floating,or missing, where left lobe meets center at top of heart.
Was stone mudded or resurfaced or "re-repaired" then?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435704509.955843.jpg
The whole stone

How about this one of the molds in possession of the AZ mineral Assoc for making copies 1994.ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435704924.923030.jpg

Last edited:
A buddy of mine has one of those sets:

P1010844.JPG

Mike

How about this one of the molds in possession of the AZ mineral Assoc for making copies 1994.View attachment 1181609
Frank,
To be clear to your readers, are you are saying that this photo is a photo of a mold, from which cast positive copies are made?
It's difficult to tell but that looks like a photo of a positive, the original or a cast copy but not a mold (negative).
Can you be more clear?

Frank,
To be clear to your readers, are you are saying that this photo is a photo of a mold, from which cast positive copies are made?
It's difficult to tell but that looks like a photo of a positive, the original or a cast copy but not a mold (negative).
Can you be more clear?

That was very clear to me with no further explanation needed.

i think they are the same stone, just 10 more yrs of accumulated dust and dirt
in the cracks and crevices
correction, that would be 20 yrs, as Jacks img is from 1994

are they rhe same 1.pngare they rhe same 2.png

Last edited:

View attachment 1181629View attachment 1181630

Thanks CW0909. They are exactly the same stone. Just like the Stone Maps on display at the Museum are the same ones received from the Flagg Foundation, just like Greg Davis said they were.

Mike

View attachment 1181629View attachment 1181630

If they were kept out of doors I might agree but they are in a controlled environment (indoors) so dust and dirt should not be an altering factor unless the museum staff let people handle them with out taking proper care (gloves) then you point might be valid.

That was very clear to me with no further explanation needed.

A photo of a mold, essentially, a negative, would show things in the reverse.
The cavity of the heart would be raised, like a platform and no shadow would fall into it.
The Heart (platform) would cast its own shadow.

Whatever that is, it is not a mold or negative.
Perhaps Frank is using the word to describe a cast, taken from a mold.
Hard to say.

View attachment 1181637

Last edited:
If they were kept out of doors I might agree but they are in a controlled environment (indoors) so dust and dirt should not be an altering factor unless the museum staff let people handle them with out taking proper care (gloves) then you point might be valid.

bob's right ....i dont think these have ever seen the daylight for the past 40 years

ok ive never been to the museum even the last time there back in 98
what do you mean by controlled environment (indoors), i saw the vid
and other vids of the stones area in the museum, all i saw, was a what
looked like a plexi class encloser, and in an open area

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435708349.962157.jpg

I can't explain it. The print is reverse of what it should be. It was a stone in their possession. Jack photographed it. You can argue until you blue in the face. No one knows where the real stones are. One reason I'm not a stoner. Too much bull. Copies passed down from place to place does not make them the originals. Any of you stoners tell me you know for a fact what you have seen or photographed are original. You can't. You don't know if Travis or Mitchell or any of the others passed on a copy.

View attachment 1181638

I can't explain it. The print is reverse of what it should be. It was a stone in their possession. Jack photographed it. You can argue until you blue in the face. No one knows where the real stones are. One reason I'm not a stoner. Too much bull. Copies passed down from place to place does not make them the originals. Any of you stoners tell me you know for a fact what you have seen or photographed are original. You can't. You don't know if Travis or Mitchell or any of the others passed on a copy.

same reason i've never been interested too much in the stone maps...too much time has passed since 1949...66 years...alot can happen in 66 years

Hey Buddy,

While they have been handled many times over the years. Since they have been at the Superstition Museum, I know Greg has made certain that nobody handled any of the stones without gloves.

AZDAVE35,

Nah. Every few years, they take them out for a public viewing. Come to think of it, the last time they were taken out for a public display was in June of 2010.

IMGP0047.JPG IMGP0048.JPG IMGP0091.JPG

Mike

Last edited:
A photo of a mold, essentially, a negative, would show things in the reverse.
The cavity of the heart would be raised, like a platform and no shadow would fall into it.
The Heart (platform) would cast its own shadow.

Whatever that is, it is not a mold or negative.
Perhaps Frank is using the word to describe a cast, taken from a mold.
Hard to say.

View attachment 1181637

Howdy Hal,

That photo was made with the negative backwards. You can see that the writing is also backwards.

Homar

Hey Buddy,

While they have been handled many times over the years. Since they have been at the Superstition Museum, I know Greg has made certain that nobody handled any of the stones without gloves.

AZDAVE35,

Nah. Every few years, they take them out for a public viewing. Come to think of it, the last time they were taken out for a public display was in June of 2010.

Mike

yes mike..i forgot about the FLAGG rock and gem show at mesa community college ..they usually have them on display there every year..but they are still behind glass

yes mike..i forgot about the FLAGG rock and gem show at mesa community college ..they usually have them on display there every year..but they are still behind glass

My guess is that any display outside of museum property would involve a set of copies. That was the reason AM&M Museum/Flagg Foundation had the other set made. So they could travel or be displayed without fear of damage or theft.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back