Legend of the Stone Maps

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Old,

No one throwing tomatoes at you for an honest, extremely well thought out opinion and the courage to voice it.

The car is not new, it's 16 years old.

Cabinet cards were merely a way to mount a photograph. Any photograph can still be made into one today. They were very popular in the 30's 40's and 50's. Early Phoenix studios sold them 5 photo cards for $1
There were two ways to mount a photo. Insert an actual photograph onto the card, or the image and card would be developed as one.

Of course no camera took ready made photocard photo/negatives so the photo and card had to be at some point married or manufactured by the developer.

This is what the original photograph of the Stone Maps on the bumper of the 1939 Oldsmobile looks like before being made into a photocard.

View attachment 1182320

Now if I were to say the photo was taken in 1956, the tomatoes would definitely start flying.

Matthew

Just to be clear, the original photo of the car with the stone maps, it was taken in 1956?

Time of day is between 11:30 & 1:00

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents... (Tucson: Scottish, exam) - Arizona (AZ) - Page 618 - City-Data Forum

http://ajpl.org/aj/superstition/stories/Murder in Apache Junction.pdf

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Somehiker,

The header at least verifies my belief that when Travis went to search for the rest of the stones, he parked on the Northbound lane just East of the Queen Creek bridge. With no turnaround, he headed to Apache Junction where he hosed off the stones at a gas station. I believe the Florence Junction story came from someone who assumed it was there where he stopped. Travis's manuscript should set things straight. As you once said, it is what's inside the manuscript that really matters.

Homar

The manuscript, according to Gary's reply to my earlier questions, is more of a draft for an adventure story than a journal. Travis may have spiced things up with a few changes, just as he did with the alterations to the stones on display. If and when it is ever shared in it's entirety, it's not likely to settle much, IMO.

Regards:SH.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "X" and smaller hole are artifacts in the gas station pic. I have also posted this elsewhere, but here is an animated gif I made of the two stones superimposed on top of one another. It is not perfectly exact, because I had to reorient the stone from the bumper pic, because the perspectives of the two stones is different.

Lower Trail GIF.gif

You have to remember that when the pic was supposedly taken, the grooves still had dirt and little roots in them.

Mike

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I will have to do a search as I can't find it right now, but I do recall seeing a picture that had a "heart cut-out" cut into the rocks at the bottom of a hill or the side of a hill. Has anyone seen this and is it about the right size for the "Heart Stone" to fit into ? Could be once it is inserted into the cut-out in the rock that it gives additional directions ??

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simon1

I believe Somehiker posted such a photo .

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Simon:

Yes I did. But decided to take it down and save it for a future posting instead. So you must have looked in at just the right time, since it wasn't up for more that 10 minutes.
It's a heart shaped pocket, carved into the side of the Cursum Perficio rock, which protrudes from the side of a mountain, and although I didn't have a tape measure with me, looked to be the same size as the one on the upper "trail" stone. When I do put it up again, I will be able to include a photo of a replica of the red heart stone set into that same carving, along with a rule for reference.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Simon:

Yes I did. But decided to take it down and save it for a future posting instead. So you must have looked in at just the right time, since it wasn't up for more that 10 minutes.
It's a heart shaped pocket, carved into the side of the Cursum Perficio rock, which protrudes from the side of a mountain, and although I didn't have a tape measure with me, looked to be the same size as the one on the upper "trail" stone. When I do put it up again, I will be able to include a photo of a replica of the red heart stone set into that same carving, along with a rule for reference.

Thanks SH, had I hung around a few more minutes I would have seen your post, instead I spent the past couple hours going through all your threads looking for it. Oh well, I learned alot from re-reading them so it was time well spent ! I eagerly await that future post as it fascinates me that the two may have something in common. Just in case, I know you are busy, but if you remember,please send me a p.m. so I can see what you have because I don't want to miss this. Again, thanks.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not known where these are from but they are similar in nature.

View attachment 1183966

View attachment 1183967

Weck stone tablets....Mississippian native cultural grafitti.

That kind of stuff exists all over the world Bill. Some is old and some is new.
Next time you are at a public beach or park, and there are smooth rocks around, take a good look at the modern versions.
They are not much different in scope and artistic value, than what the more ancient scribes.....and kids....left behind.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/arqueologia/monks_mound02.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of the page....

Last edited:

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY CRAP!!! He did it!!! Ryan did it!!! Check out the thread "Challenge for Superstition Gold"

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sort of reminds me of the Wolf Parchment Map.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "X" and smaller hole are artifacts in the gas station pic. I have also posted this elsewhere, but here is an animated gif I made of the two stones superimposed on top of one another. It is not perfectly exact, because I had to reorient the stone from the bumper pic, because the perspectives of the two stones is different.

View attachment 1182592

You have to remember that when the pic was supposedly taken, the grooves still had dirt and little roots in them.

Mike

Now that Travis' manuscript and photos of the original stones, including the original bumper shot, are being made available, it will be interesting to see what the differences really are. Perhaps the bumper photo of the H/P stone, mentioned in the SMHS article will be among those extra photos.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

View attachment 1182592

Mike

Mike,

I think it's been pretty well established that Travis created the Stone Maps. Are we saying he buried them and then dug them up as a "find"? In that soil, just how long do you think it would take to have small roots growing into the grooves?

Why bury them in the first place?

Good luck,

Joe

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Mike,

I think it's been pretty well established that Travis created the Stone Maps. Are we saying he buried them and then dug them up as a "find"? In that soil, just how long do you think it would take to have small roots growing into the grooves?

Good luck,

Joe

thats a good question joe..lets see if anyone has an answer

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote Originally Posted by cactusjumper View Post

Mike,

Good luck,

Joe

azdave35,

First you have to have proof Travis Tumlinson did carve the Stone Maps. So far that has not been established, it is an opinion.

Second, a straw man is built asking if someone is saying he buried them and dug them up and another obvious question about how long it would take roots to grow. (of course no one is saying or implying that).

Third, finally the question is asked challenging anyone to justify the straw man that's just been built.

Not real sure if that's the research path that leads to solid conclusions of the issues.

Matthew

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

Mike,

Good luck,

Joe

azdave35,

First you have to have proof Travis Tumlinson did carve the Stone Maps. So far that has not been established, it is an opinion.

Second, a straw man is built asking if someone is saying he buried them and dug them up and another obvious question about how long it would take roots to grow. (of course no one is saying or implying that).

Third, finally the question is asked challenging anyone to justify the straw man that's just been built.

Not real sure if that's the research path that leads to solid conclusions of the issues.

Matthew
matthew..according to all the local LDM guru's those stone maps have been examined by quite a few experts and deemed a hoax...they tell me the stone maps have been gone over by a few universities and none of them think they are the real deal....thats why i've never spent much time on the maps

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

Mike,

Good luck,

Joe

azdave35,

Matthew

I realize this was not addressed to me, but perhaps I can shed a bit of light on this aspect. Here is a direct quote:

The short version of the story is that we were told by the family members with whom we spoke, that Travis Tumlinson carved the stone maps.

unquote

This is posted on another forum, and it is against the rules to post links to other forums here. However anyone curious can find it, the title of the thread is Travis Tumlinson and the Stone Maps, posted on Jun 28, 2011. The thread also discusses other stone carvings done by Travis, including a treasure chest and a Spanish treasure galleon, along with some on the chimney of the family home as well. If Travis did not carve the stone maps, these are very peculiar coincidences indeed.

PS wow someone finally got Travis' manuscript? And now is selling it, or ten copies of it, for $600 each? Hmm. Sarge is banned as is RG1976? What the heck happened? Hopefully this will get straightened out soon.

:coffee2: :coffee2;

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I realize this was not addressed to me, but perhaps I can shed a bit of light on this aspect. Here is a direct quote:

The short version of the story is that we were told by the family members with whom we spoke, that Travis Tumlinson carved the stone maps.

unquote

This is posted on another forum, and it is against the rules to post links to other forums here. However anyone curious can find it, the title of the thread is Travis Tumlinson and the Stone Maps, posted on Jun 28, 2011. The thread also discusses other stone carvings done by Travis, including a treasure chest and a Spanish treasure galleon, along with some on the chimney of the family home as well. If Travis did not carve the stone maps, these are very peculiar coincidences indeed.

PS wow someone finally got Travis' manuscript? And now is selling it, or ten copies of it, for $600 each? Hmm. Sarge is banned as is RG1976? What the heck happened? Hopefully this will get straightened out soon.

:coffee2: :coffee2;

roy..i dont think ryan and frank are banned...they just cannot log in to tnet and haven't been told the reason why...they have inquired as to the reason but got no response

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread